Limited Run VERA KIT, (Firefly & Showtime)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Background (the not-so important stuff):
Ok... here we go. You all know I've tried to get runs of a Callahan Autolock kit (as seen on Firefly and in Showtime) going in one way or another for years, ever since I finished my metal version. Well... it's finally gonna happen, with the help of Morganthirteen (Shawn). When Morganthirteen and I started up the Dredd Lawgiver kit we also started talking about future projects. Vera came up, as it has always been "that" project run that I've wanted to do but could not find a good way to do it in. Working with Shawn showed me a way to finally make it happen, and he wants to tackle it as well. The aim to produce a kit in the same quality as our previous collaborations. (If you're interested in the quality we're aiming for... take a look at our Lawgiver run, the Oblivion pistol kit or Shawn's Aliens Incinerator or Prometheus sidearm kits...)

Development (The non-essential stuff):
I started making the pattern (3d models and blueprints) for Vera in 2007, so hello ten-year-anniversary! I have since then gone back and completely revamped my old 3d files a couple times. During the course of this I found countless other details that were not present on my metal build due to limitations in the amount of available reference at the time. I also went back and fixed a few things that I knew about but that were out of my control since I didn't do the machining. The results are, if I may say so myself, a marked improvement over my own past effort. I daresay no one out there has come anywhere near this close to accurately replicating Vera, but then this has been almost a ten year labor of love.

Current status (THE IMPORTANT STUFF as of FEB 2017):

We are now nearing completion and will hopefully be able to start taking orders late Feb/Early March.

- The kit will be cast in several parts, with (at least) the main body rotocast (foam filled) to preserve detail and with delicate areas filled in for durability.
- For those that want the Showtime shotgun, the kit should be fairly easy to mod into that configuration.
- Shawn is a master at casting, so cleanup will be minimal, even with the insane detailing of Vera.
- Final cost will probably be $400-500. This is a very difficult kit to produce at this level of detail, in both time and materials.

Other things:
- For those in the UK, we can talk about delivering parts in bright colors as we did with the Lawgivers.
- There have been questions about mating this with an airsoft or Denix receiver. While it should be possible, it would involve a LOT of cutting, filing and modding. If you really want to go that route I suggest talking to me about an all-printed parts kit. They're almost double what the full resin kit will cost, but made specifically with that in mind. (Note however that making a functional airsoft Vera that is still visibly accurate is currently virtually impossible.)

So, if you'd be absolutely up for a kit within the next couple months or so, please chime in. Please do not post if you only have a passing interest- there is a price point and you can gauge the quality by past kits.

More updates as I have them.

UPDATE FEB 7
See the attached images for W-I-P of the casting master!

I've been getting a few photos of the molding process and Shawn is (not surprisingly) outdoing himself with this project. He's managed to build the master to a standard that I couldn't do, even as the creator of the patterns! Claying up the receiver alone took several hours but it shouldn't be too long now before we have a test casting.

Here's an old photo of the metal version. Keep in mind that there will be a LOT more details in the new version.
vera_metal.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tommychamp

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
re: VERA KIT, (Firefly & Showtime)

Doubt I could afford it but would definitely be interested in seeing what the price would be. This thing is awesome looking. I would say put me down for one, pending price.

woodster

A complete kit sounds great. Definitely interested pending price.

Last edited:

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm getting a little closer to finishing up my Oblivion Pistol master. After that I will get straight to refurbishing my 3d models. I've got a friend in the US that has a 3d printer, looking over them now. Once he gets back to me I'll know how to prep them for his particular printer.

The plan is to, as far as is possible, print and cast the parts so that all detail is preserved and you will NOT have to do a lot of cleanup of filling. We're also open to suggestions on how you want the kit "configured".

I suspect that I will have a master done some time during July-August but I'll be updating as I change the models.

One thing I will NOT do is rush this. People have wanted a Vera kit for a long time now and it deserves to be the best possible and most accurate possible.

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a request over on Fireflyprops about at least including the scope mount for the monocular since it's very hard to find so I will definitely model it up. Hopefully we could also get someone to lend us a real scope to cast.

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To clarify: We are only 3d printing the master,which will then be cleaned up for casting. (Raw prints done on reprap/makerbot-type require a lot of work to get them smooth and I want our kit to require as little sanding/fixing as possible.)

Question: Are people ok with screws not being cast into the kit? It's something I'm considering.Real hardware goes a LONG way in making something look realistic.

If anyone wants to know what to expect in the way of quality, take a look here:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/dredd-3d-lawgiver-kit-morganthirteen-joatrash-last-call-174951/

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am pretty indifferent to screws being cast in. I likely would drill them out and replace them with real ones myself anyway. I would say if it increases the cost to do them then I'd rather see the cost go toward a set of screws to go with the kit rather than cast in. If it doesn't affect the cost then either way would be cool by me!

Dart

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested in an airsoft conversion kit. As for the screws, I'm also pretty indifferent. If they're already there, cool.

Deathstalker II

Real hardware DOES make things look better. I've replaced all sorts of resin screws, bolts, washers, and bushings with the real deal, and it really helps.

Joatrash - add me to the interest pile!

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd also be interested in an airsoft conversion kit.

As for the screws, I'm all for being able to replace them with real ones.

-Ss

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, guys we'll see what can be arranged!:)

Note that since all airsoft kits are different, some modding might be needed. I also don't know what we'll do about the magazine yet... the AKs is VERY curved in comparison to Vera's...

gyoung2993

Sr Member

Oh wow, cant wait to see this project come to life...Vera is an awesome prop...my hats off to you gentleman for making a go of this..

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...my hats off to you gentleman for making a go of this..
Thanks! :) This has been a brewing a long time. Here's the first part redone. Quite a difference. I have to go over the entire model and raise the resolution as well as fix a lot of small inaccuracies that have always bothered me. This first part has been sent off to a friend for a test print. Once he gives me the all-clear I'll start getting more parts done.

vera_redux_001.jpg

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bump for this. Not much to report except that I'm cleaning up models to have them printed. There's a chance, if we get enough interest, that I can have a HIGH RES master printed in SLS nylon instead of a "hobbyist" ABS/PLA print on a reprap/makerbot-type printer. The end result for the kits will not be THAT different aside from being a little crisper.