Venator-class star destroyer - Revell 1/2256 w heavy mods - build log. (pic heavy)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Somerset

Wow - amazing work on these upgrades! The problem is that you've done such a good job on the hangars and engines that you're gonna have to do the same to the rest of the model!

Can't wait to see the finished model - keep the updates coming!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Hoplitespear

Your engines are incredible !
It’s a pity ( in many ways - as with most intricately detailed mods ) that once painted those obvious additions will be somewhat lost - though certainly not forgotten !
Fantastic.:p
Thank you! Yeah the detail will be lost, but it will have to blend in like that a bit, some of my work is crude. Also its just to make the flat pieces more interesting.

Hello Hopli
Mate - fantastic build!!! Love it
It's been a very long time since I was last on this site and yet the quality of builds hasn't changed. Your build is bringing back some memories for sure!
Oddly enough, I started another one of these a couple of years ago and got as far as adding some details to the main engines but ran out of mojo. Maybe one day I will pick it up again but in the mean time, I shall enjoy watching you create an awesome Venator
Cheers
MH
Thank you man! I hope it will be awesome!.

Wow - amazing work on these upgrades! The problem is that you've done such a good job on the hangars and engines that you're gonna have to do the same to the rest of the model!

Can't wait to see the finished model - keep the updates coming!
Thx! I'm trying. It is not that easy and I hardly have kitbash parts so trying to create most of it from styrene, which is totally new for me.

Ok so hey guys,

time for

Part XI: Lower trench and bridge...s.

I continued my work by detailing the huge lower 'trench' area on the model. This is a really dull part originally. Also a LED was in the way... I wonder who put that there....

First of, making room for the LED:

9mWKVG4.jpg

K5lfXOs.jpg

Many hours and detailing later this is the result so far. I really wanted the detail to transition over to the back part. Came out pretty well in my opinion.

KqQ0Uo2.jpg

9k42lWa.jpg

bfx8otn.jpg

I also assembled the 'tail' which holds the 4 smaller engines. No detailing on that yet but I had some fitting issues and filling to do.

FQuOGUu.jpg

5RlGGQ7.jpg

Following this was detail on the lower hull that encapsulates the engine. 95% won't be seen but it will break flat surface of the 5% visible.
In the first pic you can see that I placed some stuff on the support for the engine, second is the 95% invisible detail on the bottom.

IFVLKg9.jpg

b97SY4G.jpg

Having had enough of engines and 'the back end' for a bit, focus was switched to the bridges and the lighting of them.

One thing my Venator won't have that most have is the triangular windows. I couldn't for the life find an easy or convenient way to get the famous radiator grill etch, and making them by hand resulted in irregular and ugly windows.

It is then that I decided to switch to measured 1mm holes. The result is neater and cleaner. Still no triangles but nevertheless happy with the result.

'Why didn't you keep the molded plastic then and drill holes in that?' you might ask. Well, the bottom is to thick and covers the back of the molded windows, so light can't get trough it. The bottom was cut off, replaced by thin styrene, the windows replaced by U-track drilled with 1mm holes for windows. The inside was lined with alu-tape for light bleed which was a huge problem in these parts.

3vHC0J8.jpg

j5WqXL1.jpg

few of my attempts at hand cutting triangles:
lafESZ3.jpg

2MCvYMP.jpg

much nicer with drilled holes imo:
ju9DYFt.jpg

The new styrene bottom with LED installed and cutouts for the cables:

3kKT6b2.jpg

oyRb07T.jpg

Glued them shut (yes I know paint, but it won't be a problem here, the holes are to small and even if some comes inside the LED is a good 1.5cm to the back.

HV1NwSV.jpg

Quick light test and my details so far, nothing that special, I'll have to learn to go even smaller with the styrene parts, but for now its fine.

76S77Wh.jpg

79i9Mo8.jpg

e5cvmWn.jpg

Hope you liked this update!

stay tuned for more.

-Hopli

edit: not going to spoiler tag the previous part because its on a different page.

Madhatter

Jr Member
I have 4 rows of that radiator PE set left if you would like it. PM me your address and you can have it. There should be enough to do all of the windows

Hoplitespear

I have 4 rows of that radiator PE set left if you would like it. PM me your address and you can have it. There should be enough to do all of the windows
After a bit of a 'break' due to personal reasons, i started altering my round windows to the PE set you send me.

Again a big thanks for this!!! I'll be posting pictures soon.

Very impressive detailing!
Thank you!

So soon updates again!

-Hopli