Veins

UglyMoFo

I was looking at my desktop background which is a closeup of the Sideshow P1 1:1 bust, and I thought of something. If Preds have neon green blood, shouldn't the veins in the region of the inner mouth be a greenish color rather than purplish-red? Whadya think?

It's possible...but you have to remember we don't know how the anatomy of a Predator works. Just like how humans have veins that are blue even though the blood is still red.

Feels like I have read this discussion here before..
Dont remember the conclusion though... think it was something about a substance that reacts with oxygen that gets green. Humans can get green blood too :)
And if you boil a brain - it gets green (morbid curiosity).

Kotten

On the AVPR featurettes with the science of AVP, there was a scientist that says the predator's blood "react with the air and turns neon green" so it could be just that when its in the air on earth it turns green, perhaps inside the body its still a dark green.

It's possible...but you have to remember we don't know how the anatomy of a Predator works. Just like how humans have veins that are blue even though the blood is still red.

Human veins are blue because the blood has been deoxygenated. Our arteries, full of oxygenized blood, are red, but veins, which are more easily seen through the skin, are blue because of the lack of oxygen (which why us humans turn shades of blue when we die)....

It is possible that the Yautja's system works in such a way that de---?? whatever gas they breathe that makes their cells work (some books say methane...) causes their blood to turn red or pinkish when it is deprived of that gas.....Just like Strigoi says.. we don't know how their anatomy works.

Human veins are blue because the blood has been deoxygenated. Our arteries, full of oxygenized blood, are red, but veins, which are more easily seen through the skin, are blue because of the lack of oxygen (which why us humans turn shades of blue when we die)....
Yes...sorry, but our blood is always red. Have you EVER bled blue?

Oxygenated blood is a rich, vibrant red, while the deoxygenated blood carried by veins is a much duller, rusty colour.

Was nice to learn the scientific explanation for why they look blue though! I think you could probably make a case for the Predators flesh responding to different spectrums of light, which is why their mouths look red despite their blood being green. Who knows? I dislike the explanation that "it's just a film" though, because that's no explanation at all.

Of course, sometimes I just don't care, and then it can be just a film.

Maybe there is no explanation was my point, just because something in a film looks a certain way , doesnt mean it has a explanation.

Remember were all geeks to a point, that have spent more time than the creators on this creature

After all this time, you still think it's just a film, Lee? Say it ain't so, said the geek. While this topic has been covered before, this forum exists to explore these little nuances about our favorite character. If I were to go along with the dark red/ bright red analogy, I would definitely paint the inside mouth veins of my pred head a dark green.

As a personal preference, I DESPISE the fact that they made the blood phosphorescent. I think that was decided upon after the suits and masks were already painted up.

Not trying to nitpick, I was only making an observation. However, playing on the whole oxygen/ blood color thing, on AVP-R when the Preds are attacked by the Predalien on their ship, their blood is still green. Assuming the ship has the same air as they're homeworld, I'd guess it's green wherever, whenever.

Yes...sorry, but our blood is always red. Have you EVER bled blue?

Oxygenated blood is a rich, vibrant red, while the deoxygenated blood carried by veins is a much duller, rusty colour.

Was nice to learn the scientific explanation for why they look blue though! I think you could probably make a case for the Predators flesh responding to different spectrums of light, which is why their mouths look red despite their blood being green. Who knows? I dislike the explanation that "it's just a film" though, because that's no explanation at all.

Of course, sometimes I just don't care, and then it can be just a film. :)

Hey HEZ, I didn't say deoxygenated blood was blue, nor did I say that we bleed blue blood. I SAID VEINS are blue because of the lack of oxygen enriched blood cells in them, which causes the veins to appear blue.

This is the ever so re-surfacing post. I think the Pred blood is blue and purple until it hits our alien air then it turns GREEN!!! Use your imagination

a scientist that says the predator's blood "react with the air and turns neon green"

Well, we've all seen the Preds breathe oxygen (every time they take off their bios in fact), so if anything in their blood reacted with oxygen to turn it green, their bloodstreams would take it all over their body parts. Doesn't sound exactly healthy, so, with all due respect to the "scientist", I call ********.

Not that I needed an explanation for the color. I just think that if I'm presented with one, might as well put some thought into it.

About the initial question, that is a matter of color mixing. I can see green veins on my arm right now. If I cut into them with a knife, it would gush in red. Fact. So it's the skin that absorbs the red spectrum of the underlying vessels.

Read somewhere, or heard, that preds can stay in our environment for about a week? They have a higher oxygen requirement or something...

Anyway, it's all bollocks...I dont care if its blood is green, black, blue or red. I just want to see a badass mutha lovin pred stomping around like he owns all.

Which he does. YEAH!! :)

You know, if you read the comic book version of Predator 2, Harrigan comments that he is breathing methane in the Yautja ship. Whatever gasses they do breathe, they must be capable of breathing our air for at least a little bit. The Predator in P2 was injured, which is probably why he needed the breathing apparatus, but the Predator in P1 voluntarily took his mask off and had no trouble breathing Earth air. Who would do that on an alien world unless they knew they could breathe?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back