Veektohr's Half-builds & The Occasional Finished One - Zombie MGCs

veektohr

Sr Member
Hi everybody. Believe it or not, I have been lurking here since 2006... so I'd say I'm a little overdue for an introduction. Back then all I had was a Park's GRAFLEX replica kitted with Blastech. It was fun, but as I find myself in a better place to really get into props again I decided to kick things off with some saber builds.

Anyway... on to the good stuff.

My old college roommate lives in NYC, so I had him go rummage around Rochester for old flashes that might be kicking around.

Wrv2Jbi.jpg

Success! This saber has been my all-time favorite since I was a kid. It's a Perfect Object. I wanted to do it justice this time, so I grabbed a real Exactra-20, ordered a kit from Roy, a card from Slothfurnace, and got to work. I trimmed the T-track, and did some trigonometry for the first time in 15 years (which was way more difficult than I'd like to admit) to make sure I was filing them to the correct angle.

1FqlKFK.jpg

Then I set about weathering them. This thing has been through a war, after all. The first gouge with my file was pretty scary, but then it got fun. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

yL887Rr.jpg

After that I epoxied them to the flash, and worked on the bubble-strip while they dried. I really wanted to keep the circuit under it, because it just looks amazing with it, but couldn't find a way to fit in there without bending the clamp. Instead, I took it off, masked under the bubbles, and sanded it down to size like so many others before me. This guy will just have to wait for a Vader build...

JE0ZHNG.jpg

Grips had dried, so I weathered up my D-ring with my file and sandpaper, and riveted in place. Saber done.

tE6ykA8.jpg 4P6RCeD.jpg 0FGAMgl.jpg

I can't even compare it to the one I made in college. This thing puts it to shame. One of the first things I ever built as a kid was a lightsaber. I should actually try to find it. It was a little tube of red glass, with a bulb at the bottom attached to a nine-volt. I wish I could hand this to my younger self. His head would explode... almost like mine did when I saw this on the bottom of my other flash:

6S2Smjf.jpg

No patent means ESB. I was inspired by this bit of luck and decided to track down a real circuit for the activation strip. I rummaged through a LOT of boards, and finally found one that would work. It's not HP, but the gold contacts are the right size, and I love the way it shimmers.

cTWm7so.jpg F8GUSbP.jpg T0LDPwC.jpg

I grabbed a beater 2-cell on the cheap since the clamp was rusted to hell. If anybody is doing a post Death-Star Obi-Wan, I have the clamp you're looking for.

0YdW68s.jpg

But I got my button! And then this showed up today.

uEl3jHz.jpg

I'll update later with more. Thanks for reading everyone (anyone?). The work I see on this board is so inspiring. Getting back into this stuff has really given me a much-needed boost lately, so keep doing what you're doing so that guys like me can race to keep up :)

Attachments

• DVbxlzP.jpg
    DVbxlzP.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Re: Can't beat a GRAFLEX

That ANH looks awesome, man! Well done. Can't wait to see you finish up the ESB.

Very cool builds!

Still holding out for the killer deal on a G R A F L E X, but I'm on the list for Roman's.

Congrats on the awesome sabers.

pm sent regarding the old clamp

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Nice Graflex'es you have there.

And you are right there is nothing comparable to holding one of those in your hands.

Great builds ... well done can't wait to see your ESB finished. I'm just curious to know the story and where exactly your former roommate rummaged around Rochester to pick up those fabulous G R A F L E X flashguns? :)

Chaim

That ANH looks awesome, man! Well done. Can't wait to see you finish up the ESB.

Thanks!

Great builds ... well done can't wait to see your ESB finished. I'm just curious to know the story and where exactly your former roommate rummaged around Rochester to pick up those fabulous G R A F L E X flashguns? :)

Chaim

Thanks Chaim! My friend found an old camera aficionado out there who had some that he had been holding onto since the factory closed. He actually keeps emailing him with new flashes that he digs out of storage, so maybe he will pull an MPP out of somewhere one day :)

Nice Graflex'es you have there.

And you are right there is nothing comparable to holding one of those in your hands.

It's crazy! I didn't think there would be such a difference, but now with the real thing it just has... presence. Even my girlfriend (who is being very patient and understanding about this hobby :angel) held it in her hand and was like "oh, I get it this really is a lightsaber." Another thing I didn't anticipate was how much of a difference the real Exactra strip would make. It has a glimmer that my past replica strip just didn't have (although I hear the new ones people are making are great). Same with the gold contacts on the real circuit board. The way light hits it is wild. Maybe it's just the amount of gold they used back then...

When I got my first graflex it was pretty dirty... I wasn't sure how to clean it without ruining it, so I went to this antique shop that's been around forever. There were these two old guys in there, and when I showed them the flash they gave a few tips to clean, and then asked exactly what they were looking at...

"It looks like a camera flash maybe?... it's really cool looking"

I told them the type of flash, shocked they didn't know it themselves... I mean their shop is huge and has everything...I've even LOOKED there for flashes.

Once I told them it was Luke's lightsaber base, they lit up. These two old dudes just swinging it around like they were little kids.

So even though I had a couple other graflex's, in MUCH better condition, I opted to make this one as an ESB rather than sell it JUST because of the reaction it gave those two old guys. A lot of power in those old flashes... fountain of youth.

Set aside time for the ESB today. For me, this is a step down from the Star Wars GRAFLEX. I love the glass eye, the bubble strip is perfectly weird and goofy, and the seven grips feels great in your hand... But I also love that they changed things. I know it can get frustrating with endless variations of props, but I think it was a great idea to switch some things up from Star Wars to Empire. Having inexplicable changes shows the passage of time. When you see it your brain goes "things have happened." It lets your imagination start to fill in the gaps. What has Luke been up to that led him to make these mods? He's been tinkering! I love that stuff. Anyway, here's the build progress.

4GB3PAL.jpg 0XNW7HI.jpg OBRufIX.jpg

I measured and masked off my grips, and got to making the notches. I've been using my cutting board as my work bench and the little juice-gutter thing actually worked really well to keep these steady while I went to town with my files. Then I weathered 'em up. I love the way Roy's grips weather. You can have so much fun with them.

pRV1aiH.jpg

After that, I mixed up some epoxy and laid the grips out. While they dried I put the mylar tape on the clamp. After a couple of minutes I whipped out the drill... and things didn't go so well. I really had nothing to use to clamp the flash down as I drilled, so I kinda of just held it down the best I could. Unfortunately some of the holes ended up being uneven. After a lot of cursing and questioning my motor skills and ability to perform simple tasks, I made peace with it. I can probably fix it some day down the line. It's not horribly noticeable for the most part.

EwulZHC.jpg 9ywDM4w.jpg

:facepalm

I held off on the D-ring for now... because I snagged a real Kobold! I'm kind of sweating bullets about whether the holes will be the correct layout, but at the very least it will make a good droid caller. Once that arrives I can finish this thing off!

Those grips must have taken quite a beating ... perhaps some more Wampa's or Dagobah creatures on Luke's path?

You must unclamp the bottom part and use a wooden dowel inside before attempting to drill 2 holes ... and please
use something to grip it securely ... not your hands or disaster is to strike your imminent future. Now drill 2 smaller
holes and then file them to the size you need for your Kobold clip, which, since it's going to be a vintage clip, needs
an extra hole for your D-ring ... please, please use a vice or some other mechanical piece of equipment to hold it :wacko

Chaim

That wooden dowel trick is a really smart idea. Lesson learned. Patience has always been a failing of mine in these scenarios. Instead of wait to have the right equipment, I just go "well that could work." I guess it's a 50/50 sort of thing where sometimes that leads to a creative solution, but it equally leaves me face-palming wondering "why did you do that?" I just ordered another set of grips, because I just know they're going to bug me. I'll probably cut the screws down when they get here instead of drilling again, so that they only go down into the t-track... which I will probably also weather less. Learned a lot with this one I guess :facepalm

Those grips must have taken quite a beating ... perhaps some more Wampa's or Dagobah creatures on Luke's path?

You must unclamp the bottom part and use a wooden dowel inside before attempting to drill 2 holes ... and please
use something to grip it securely ... not your hands or disaster is to strike your imminent future. Now drill 2 smaller
holes and then file them to the size you need for your Kobold clip, which, since it's going to be a vintage clip, needs
an extra hole for your D-ring ... please, please use a vice or some other mechanical piece of equipment to hold it :wacko

Chaim

As with everything you create ... once done ... or think you're done ... leave it alone for a couple of months ... if some things still bug you after all that time ... return and make some do-overs or touch-ups. Never ever do these precious props on a rush, take your time, perhaps even ask assistance here before attempting anything you'll do for the first time ... indeed get or lend the propper equipment to avoid regular visits to the infirmary ... or perhaps visit that friendly always DIY neighbour who has a complete workshop in his shed and ask for help ... that will save you in costs and you'll have a fun time working together.

As for those screws ... you could always file away some extra in the side and reposition them to your liking with some superglue ... but first ... take the prop in both your hands and go into the yard or street and sswisshh swoosh like a fully trained jedi apprentice :)

Chaim

a word on drill usage; a great many people use too much downward pressure when drilling. not much force is necessary if your drill is sharp.
shouldn't even need a dowel or such but it's generally a good idea.
if you use a center punch first where you want the hole, the drill has less tendency to wander. drilling a smaller hole first before your final hole size is greatly recommended as well.
drill speed is also a factor. it doesn't need to be spinning at a million rpm's. slower is better. let the tool do the work.
to get really handy and preserve cutting tool sharpness, a light oil or cutting fluid is a good idea.
that is all.
your friendly neighborhood hobbysmith guy.
jack of all trades master of none.

if you're distorting the bottom of a graflex drilling, you're pressing too hard

also while i'm at it; if you are distorting your screw slots with the screwdriver you are using too much force....

Last edited:

Thank you for all the advice! I had the drill at highest, speed so that is probably were the drift came from. I will slow my roll when I redo the grips. I'm not going to drill into the flash again, though. It's been through enough :) Shouldn't be noticeable since the new grips will be right there covering the old holes. I will use all this info for installing the Kobold, though. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer a novice some pointers!

a word on drill usage; a great many people use too much downward pressure when drilling. not much force is necessary if your drill is sharp.
shouldn't even need a dowel or such but it's generally a good idea.
if you use a center punch first where you want the hole, the drill has less tendency to wander. drilling a smaller hole first before your final hole size is greatly recommended as well.
drill speed is also a factor. it doesn't need to be spinning at a million rpm's. slower is better. let the tool do the work.
to get really handy and preserve cutting tool sharpness, a light oil or cutting fluid is a good idea.
that is all.
your friendly neighborhood hobbysmith guy.
jack of all trades master of none.

if you're distorting the bottom of a graflex drilling, you're pressing too hard

also while i'm at it; if you are distorting your screw slots with the screwdriver you are using too much force....

no problem.
a center punch causes a little pit or divot right where you want the center of your hole to be. the tip of your cutting drill sits in it and it's easier to keep from wandering because it has a "headstart" to sit in. smaller the bit, less chance of wandering. once you have the small hole, drill into it with your final size bit. it more than usually self centers. easy peazy.

So while I wait for new t-tracks to come in, I may have gotten a little carried away and acquired something... interesting. Looks like there will be more than saber builds in my future.

eVhKelk.jpg

Now to play with this in the backyard until the neighbors call the cops...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back