VCR Law who can explain it a bit better for me

sp1derman

Sr Member
hi guys so random question since the VCR act i have avoided cosplays with gun as i cant stand orange guns. however i did buy myself a maurzen walther ppk from airsoftworld.net last year in two tone expecting the slide to be a disgusting green instead when it arrived all that was green was the grips meaning when i held it for pictures you could not really see the green.
this year i want to do Hitman (just looking a for a decent bald cap as in my line of work i cant shave my head). i was wondering if my silverballers are silver with and orange plug at the end (not a tip and actual plug so it is completely blocked off) and bright orange grips would they be legal to take out in the UK or was what airsoftworld.net did actually illegal? (if id known they'd paint the grips i would have order the metal look version which is rather annoying)

the law really confuses and annoys me, whats to stop someone painting a real gun pink and then being able to carry it around?

anyway could anyone shed some light on this. my plan is to buy 2 1911 nickel alloy pistols in blue have the marking engraved onto the slide and then spray the whole thing silver but paint the handle green and add a large orange plug into the barrel (or silencer barrel if i go that root and then the silencer will be permanently fixed to the gun). then i can have the accurate grips when the gun is in its special shadow box and remove the accurate grips for Halloween.

have already found a giant all black machine gun in the toy store with an orange tip for my partners Saints costume so i dont understand why a big black machine gun is okay but my gun has to be blue?

In a nutshell:

A replica firearm coloured over 51% of its body with a bright, approved colour is, per the act, an Imitation Firearm, a 'gun' coloured one (ie black, silver) is a Replica Imitation Firearm.

An imitation firearm can be bought and sold legally to over 18's
A replica imitation firearm cannot be sold, imported or manufactured into Great Britain.

There are specific 'defences' against prosecution, laid down in the act, such as film/tv productions.

Painting an imitation firearm less than 51% is, technically, manufacturing a RIF, and therefore illegal without a valid defence.

Enforcement of this is very difficult however - as it is NOT illegal to be in possession of a RIF (with certain exceptions obviously) - but in the general sense, in your own home for example, perfectly legal.

So painting a IF - illegal, and can be subject to prosecution under the act.

In a nutshell:

A replica firearm coloured over 51% of its body with a bright, approved colour is, per the act, an Imitation Firearm, a 'gun' coloured one (ie black, silver) is a Replica Imitation Firearm.

An imitation firearm can be bought and sold legally to over 18's
A replica imitation firearm cannot be sold, imported or manufactured into Great Britain.

There are specific 'defences' against prosecution, laid down in the act, such as film/tv productions.

Painting an imitation firearm less than 51% is, technically, manufacturing a RIF, and therefore illegal without a valid defence.

Enforcement of this is very difficult however - as it is NOT illegal to be in possession of a RIF (with certain exceptions obviously) - but in the general sense, in your own home for example, perfectly legal.

So painting a IF - illegal, and can be subject to prosecution under the act.
okay so it doesn't actuallymatter which part of the gun asking as its 51 % so with my Silverballer the slide could be silver so long as the rest of the gun was a bright colour? I k ow the In home thing isn't a worry I have plenty that I owned before the law and I have left them as they are they just never leave the display case

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back