Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by roygilsing, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any idea when V2 levers will be back?

2. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Do you have a Romans near by? If it works on a Romans it should work on a 89sabers

I just threw a old clamp cover I had laying around on a graflex 2.0 and it seams to work fine, alittle filing on the bend tabs to tuck the clamp cover up higher and it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chungc94 likes this.
  3. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Unfortunately, my clamp cover doesn't fit well with a 89sabers clamp replica, because the 89sabers clamp (together with the body parts) are smaller than a vintage. Therefore the cover is too loose and it's really hard to make it fit.

4. roygilsing

No clue yet. It will probably take more than a month.

5. scide

scide Jr Member

Can anyone recommend a special adhensive / epoxy for Roy‘s T-tracks?
    I am building a Vintage TFA using mostly his parts...
    Trying my „standard“ 2K epoxy I wasn’t able to achieve a permanent bond between Graflex and the T-tracks.
    If someone knows which kind of plastics the tracks are made of, I could try a specialized glue...
    As I don‘t want to ruin my Vintage with multiple tries, any advice would be appreciated! :)

6. halliwax

I always use to use 2 part epoxy, and dyed it with black chalk. This was messy, and when I added too much in areas you could always see it, made for a pain to clean up

I was turned on to e6000. It’s a strong silicone glue, smells horrible, but holds amazingly!!

And if it oozes out in a area you can see. Wait until it gets hard and you can cut it with a razor knife

A lot of the time I can remove the excess with just rubbing my finger on it

Never had a grip fall off with e6000, and I swear by it

7. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Super glue.

8. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm a big fan of 2 part epoxy. Make sure that you prep the metal surface by wiping it down with rubbing alcohol or, even better, naptha, and make sure that you rough up the under side of the t track with some sand paper. If any epoxy oozes out, you can wipe it up with an alcohol-dampened paper towel. If you mess up or want to redo the t track for whatever reason, put the saber in the freezer for a few minutes and you can snap the grips off. Any excess epoxy can be removed with vinegar. I've used this method to swap t tracks on numerous sabers (my parks MPP has had no fewer than 4 different sets of grips on it). Anytime I've had a grip pop off, it was because of me not mixing the epoxy enough or not prepping the surfaces (due to impatience/laziness). I can't say how well epoxy stands up to dueling, but for regular handling, epoxy is my choice.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've had to use super glue to keep T-track in place when drilling and installing screws or rivets. Epoxy always failed.

E-6000 is my favorite but it takes a LONG time to set up. almost a few hours, so doing all 6 track in one day is pushing it

10. halliwax

When I use e6000 I do 1 grip a night, and I can’t let it stay in my basement it’s too cold

thd9791 likes this.
  11. scide

scide Jr Member

Wow, thanks for all the answers! :)
    I did order some 3M 8005 glue specialized for low energy plastics yesterday, maybe this works better than my prior attempt.
    If it also fails, I’ll try the E6000. Stay tuned. ;)

halliwax likes this.
  12. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3M Rug & Carpet Tape

I used this to attach rubber grips to a Heiland back in '95 and they are still in place.
    The tape on the roll is still usable and new.
    P4181837.JPG

halliwax and Drew Baker like this.
  13. Jediscum

Jediscum Well-Known Member

Can e6000 be removed similar to 2-part epoxy? Or are once the grips on, they are on for good?

14. halliwax

I have cleaned it up with acetone

Jediscum likes this.
  15. Jediscum

Thanks Halliwax, Can the grips be removed the same way via freezer? I've never used either e6000 or 2-part epoxy so I'm just trying to find the best method for me.

16. halliwax

If u have never worked with either, I would but then both, and try gluing popsicle sticks to something... like a paper towel roll or something

The e6000 I think is easier to work with, but you can take my advice honestly because I’m a big fan of it, so I’m going to promote it always lol

I always used 2 part epoxy, loctite to be exact. Only problems I found with them was it was a brittle bond. I would clean the flash with acetone, score the under side of the grip, and rub some sand paper opposite to the grain on the flash

The epoxy held the grips on great, but I dropped the flash once on my carpeted floor and 2 of the grips popped right off

I have also popped them off by hand, I had to use some force but I could remove them

I can’t seem to do that with e6000 unless I use heat, or acetone

I love how easy and clean the clean up is with e6000. I JUST got done working with it 5 minutes ago on another project. I clean the excess off with popsicle sticks and skewers.

I apply e6000 with skewers

But I would buy each type, and play around first on some random stuff. Get a handle for working with it then make your own decision on what you like the most ;)

Then report back and tell us how you feel!

roygilsing and Jediscum like this.
  17. Jediscum

This is definitely the smart way to go. I'll pick up some of each this weekend. I don't plan to remove the grips in the future, but I like the idea of being able to just in case.

halliwax likes this.
  18. scide

scide Jr Member

Thanks to mgoob's idea, I tried some indoor 3M double sided tape I usually use to install Led strips...
    I would definitely recommend this. In my opinion it holds up as good as the 2K epoxy I tried first, without the fear you might have using permanent glue on a vintage Graflex. :rolleyes
    This way you can easily correct the position of single grips until you reach something you like. First thought about redoing it when my new glue arrives, but I will probably stay with this technique. I used a 3D printed tool for getting the positions right, will upload this to thingiverse after some corrections in CAD... There is also one on shapeways if you don't want to do your own - this really helped me.

Quite happy with the result. So thanks Roy for selling these beautiful parts. :)

IMG_5181-privat.jpg IMG_5182-privat.jpg IMG_5184-privat.jpg

roygilsing and Jediscum like this.
  19. Jediscum

That looks great. I'd be happy if I could get my notches cut and grips installed as well as that.

20. scide

scide Jr Member

Haha, I had a friend do the notches for me (using a needle file)... Ruined 2 sets of grips prior to this. So don't hurry with this... ;)

21. scide

scide Jr Member

Btw: When riveting the D-ring to the bottom of the saber, start with the outer one, to prevent the Graflex' bottom from bending - resulting in a gap under the not riveted side of the D-ring... I had to remove inner rivet to fix this. This might happen only when using steel rivets, but maybe this helps someone to get it right on the first try.

thd9791 and MCM like this.
  22. mgoob

Other benefits using tape include:
    very thin
    glue doesn't leak out the sides

Jediscum likes this.
  23. Kylo1

Kylo1 Sr Member

Totally agree. I used double sided tape on my grips and they are still very firmly in place

TFA0.jpg

roygilsing likes this.
  24. mgoob

scide

Glad to have helped.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  25. halliwax

Hey Roy, the blue print prints came out amazing!!! Thanks for doing this, I’ve wanted these for a long tim!!

Photo I took is crappy, I did this at 2am and didn’t want to light up my place in fear of waking up my roommates (parents)

6d5aa88219a13e5b92d5e073c81b6122.jpg

16x20, it’s printed on a thick piece of paper, real thick, real sturdy. Much better deal then having my local staples print these out for me

Really appreciate it!!

26. roygilsing

Thanks Danny, those look fantastic on your wall! Thanks for sharing!

Roy

27. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Well-Known Member

So, roygilsing, do you have any plans to make some accurate TFA/TLJ rubber T tracks?:$

Foe Hammer likes this.
  28. roygilsing

No, I don't think I can make that happen. I'm not sure at all if I can get enough return on the investment.

SpeedRacerx likes this.
  29. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is there any chance of getting a longer threaded portion on the new run of V2 levers coming soon? Ive never been able to get one to stick out as much as it does on the real thing.

6371314b14d638b25d7f3d5609acd9cc.jpg

MakBzh likes this.
  30. roygilsing

"Well hello there!"

Meet Obi, the newest member of our family and WannaWanga mascot!

e41058583107af6f6f975cccae041395.jpg

31. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ahah oh man he is so cute :)

roygilsing likes this.
  32. scide

scide Jr Member

Haha, is he force sensitive? :rolleyes Such a cutie...

roygilsing likes this.
  33. roygilsing

Yes, he's one with the Force!

scide likes this.
  34. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

He's lovely - congrats! - now just don't let him distract you from getting some more V2 levers made :lol

roygilsing likes this.
  35. eethan

doesn't one with the force means dead? I hope he is not dead yet :wacko such a cutie again :$

36. roygilsing

Oops! No, I meant that he's so undaunted!

37. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Awe. I love dogs. If I was home more, I'd have one.
    He's definitely a cutie!

roygilsing likes this.
  38. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Didn't you see Rogue One? The blind guy's mantra was "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me, I am one with the Force, the Force is with me, I am one with the Force, the Force is with me..."

roygilsing likes this.
  39. eethan

that's true, totally forgot about that! sorry :$
    BTW, none of our cats are called a star wars name, they are Patouche (don't touch in french) (short: Patty), Jinx, Arielle (Ary), Suzy, but we have official long names for them: Palpatty, Jar Jar Jinx, Aridala and Suzy Wan Kenobi :lol

russellsch and roygilsing like this.
  40. halliwax

Nice mascot roy!! Very cute!

roygilsing likes this.
  41. thd9791

Hey ROY, guess what I got in the mail?

That small order was opened by customs, poorly taped back together and must have been forgotten about, and finally sent out.

This is like a 1 in a million chance, and I probably won't have problems again, thank you for sending extras!

roygilsing and Panaflex like this.
  42. roygilsing

Incredible. So how long did it take?

43. thd9791

dang, looked at my email, that was around May 14th! almost two months haha

roygilsing likes this.
  44. halliwax

GOD BLESS WANNAWANGA.COM!!

45. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait to get mine! I already have the new clamp cover, but when I went to buy the new grips, I noticed the new Kobold and had to get one of those too!
    Nice work as always, Roy!

roygilsing likes this.
  46. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I love wannawanga.com!!!!

Roy is awesome! :cheers

roygilsing likes this.
  47. roygilsing

So many compliments; it's almost embarrassing to watch myself :)
    Thanks Danny for showing this and for your enthusiasm! I'm glad you like it!

Roy

48. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congratulations on the amazing T Tracks, roygilsing !!! They look awesome!
    halliwax Danny, your video is great! Man, after all of this time, I was not prepared for such a rich and deep voice. In my head 8 always heard Halliwax’ voice from LOST!

Great T Tracks (of course!) and great video (really, I see you have sone others too, Danny. I’m going to go check them out now!)!

thd9791 and halliwax like this.
  49. halliwax

Glad to see you back around Andy!! Your be surprised how many times people freak out over my voice, they don’t expect it from my lanky body lol

I quite frequently am asked “are you a singer?” ....no

mugatu likes this.
  50. halliwax

Hey gang, I just wanted to let everyone know Roy’s T-shirt’s are 30% off today! That’s 14 bucks a shirt!! These are a steal at this price

The shirt is also very comfortable. After my brother wore mine one day by mistake (well that’s his excuse) he actually now uses the same company roy does for his business T-shirt’s because of the comfort.

And I will testify, these shirts are very comfortable on the nipples :rolleyes:

(Roy left, my brother right)
    5554C6FE-370B-4862-9D5E-1BD8C4883233.jpeg

Don’t miss out on this wicked deal!

Thanks again roy!!

SpeedRacerx, russellsch and thd9791 like this.