Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by roygilsing, Nov 4, 2014.

1. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

**** UPDATE FEB 2016: TFA edge connector clamp cards available ****
    **** UPDATE JUNE 2016: TFA clamp covers and bottom plates available ****

Hi all, let's start with some of my art work:
    Luke-ANH.1663.jpg obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber-weathered.1279.jpg Luke-ANH-2.2056.jpg

Not so long ago, not even a year, my obsession with lightsabers started with Obi-Wan's lightsaber from ANH. Since then I was hooked. Because I'm into CAD modeling as a design engineer, I wanted to build the most accurate 3D model of the OB1. I posted some computer renderings of the result on this forum back then, like the ones above. I was pleased with the result and when I had the chance I ordered the weathered OB1 replica from Roman's Empire which was truly amazing!

I quickly learned more about the other saber hilts from the original trilogy (Graflex!) and started to collect parts for my own builds. As a product developer I wanted to use my skills and add something to the replica prop building community and instead of buying the parts I needed, I developed my own. (I'm also very stubborn!). I made very accurate CAD models of all the parts, by measuring real parts and by reverse engineering from pictures of original props, and then used various fabrication techniques for the production.

The parts I made so far:

• T-track profile; for the Graflex & MPP saber grips and E-11 stormtrooper blaster
    • D-ring with clip; from Luke's ANH saber
    • Exactra Bubble strip; used in many sabers
    • Kobold clip (from the droid caller) used on Luke's ESB with a D-ring
    • Belt Clip from Luke in ANH, ESB and ROTJ (maybe also good for other costumes)
    • PCB Edge connector; clamped in the Graflex of Luke's ESB
    I met RPF-member Sym-Cha and he helped me enormously with so many details and he kept on bringing ideas for more parts ;) I still have many to add to the list later!

I will try to give some background info on how each part came along:

T-track
    The references for the dimensions of the cross-section are archive pictures of the Vader MPP and Luke ESB and by using 3D CAD software for perspective matching and measuring. So I didn't take measurements from other replicas but based it purely on my own research.
    Here is an screen grab of the perspective matching in 3D:
    perspective-matching-roy-1.jpg IMG_0484.jpg IMG_0487.jpg

I invested in the tooling cost and in the production (extrusion); first in rubber (elastomer) but later in the screen accurate hard plastic (PVC). I now have plenty of profile for the rest of my life!!
    T-track-1.jpg
    The result is a beautiful and in my opinion a very screen accurate T-profile. I can cut it to any length. Here is a comparison pic (made by Sym-Cha):
    T-track-02.jpg

D-ring with clip (or strap)
    Very little is known about the shape of the D-ring and clip. They are therefore discussed intensely in other posts (here and here). Here you see a screen-grab in 3D to determine the correct size and shape in perspective as an overlay on the famous toe pic:
    reverse-engineering-01.jpg D-ring-3.jpg

It took me MANY weeks to search for the correct D-ring, which I finally found in a small local shop. It is a 1” (25mm) ring, with an inner diameter of 0.9” (23mm), outer diam. 1 1/8” (28.5mm). The shape is very round (more than half a circle shape).
    I then made a production run on the stainless steel clips based on Sym-Cha’s template, which proved accurate and which is considered to be pretty cool looking by many RPF members. You can attach the D-ring to the back of a Graflex with a vintage English rivet. Mine looks like this:
    D-ring-2.jpg D-ring-1-e1414773926637.jpg

Exactra bubble-strip
    The bubble-strip was based on real calculator bubble-strips from the Exactra 19 and 20. I first made a CNC machined version in PMMA which was extremely close to the original:
    3-roys-bubble-strip-replicadown.jpg
    The top one is the original Exactra 20 bubble-strip and the lower one is my CNC version.

It was ‘uncut’ and could easily replace an original (don’t worry for fraud: I only made one and in case I will ever sell some, I will mark them as a replica). It is a bit pricey though to make in large quantities. Instead I did a run in casted resin. This one was based on the Exactra 19 and already pre-cut to fit a Graflex clamp. The result is very nice and accurate:
    PA109876.jpg
    The bottom one is the resin casted version.

Maybe, later, I could perhaps start a production run in polycarbonate on a real injection molding tool. This is how the real strips were made, but the investment is high and the return on it is risky. I might have to sell hundreds to make it worthwhile. Let me know what you people think!

Kobold clip
    UPDATE (dec-11): The Kobold Clip replicas are now ready and look stunning!
    They are CNC machined from brass and have a nickel plated finish.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Belt clip
    The metal belt clip (to carry your lightsaber around on conventions or in your house) was based on these pictures:
    Foto-20-07-14-11-10-19-e1413217205391.jpg lick.jpg

I thought it would be cool to produce a whole bunch of them (they were produced together with the D-ring clips). You can attach it to your Jedi belt with 2 rivets. In case you wonder: the belt should be 1 7/8” (=47mm) wide. This is my belt clip in stainless steel:
    belt-clip-2.jpg belt-clip-preview.jpg

PCB Edge connector
    The part clamped in Luke ESB lightsaber is a piece of a vintage computer’s edge connector. They say it's from an old HP multibus boards, like this one (I found this on the internet, it said Hybricon WW2):
    Hybricon-WW-2.jpg

I based my replica on this picture from the archive where the exact shape and size can be seen:
    Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpg

The 13 connector strips are rectangular shaped with a narrow bit on the right side. The PCB material is not commonly used anymore, but I have a good friend who managed to find the correct color and he produced the correct connectors for me. Here is the result:
    PA319938.jpg

That’s it! Thanks for your attention. Please let me know if I made any mistakes or if you think I can improve the parts. Let me know what you think and have a look on my website.

Roy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    The14thDr, redbutton, Mark P and 11 others like this.
  2. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Various custom build lightsaber parts (original trilogy)

Nice... I will definitely be picking up some Kobold clips and t-track.

Might I HIGHLY suggest a MOM ROTJ Vader?!?!?!!

I've been looking for this shroud FOREVER... a guy named Kenny did it in the past, but no one since.

Chaim has parts for reference... lots of online ref... you could even have the thread showing on the control box button that Kenny left off...

roygilsing likes this.
  3. roygilsing

Hi NeoRutty,
    I will be looking into the shroud later indeed. Chaim and ParfaiteLumiere already started about it :)

4. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Excellent show of craftsmanship ... and I'm glad the custom Luke ANH D-ring is in production yet again, though I never claimed it to be screen-accurate, it received some great comments and followers ;)

The saber parts mentioned by NeoRutty is Vader's stunt from ROTJ and based on a real G R A F L E X ... seen here on the bottom ;)

[​IMG]

Chaim

roygilsing likes this.
  5. BobasBounty

BobasBounty Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM about some T-track.

Andy

roygilsing likes this.
  6. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I REALLY like your stuff. Glad and surprised you have the resources to do this. expect a few orders from me. :)

redbutton and roygilsing like this.
  7. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Well done Sir.

I think it was good to get Chaim on your boat ;)
    The pieces look fantastic AND you beat the price tags you can normaly find on the internet.
    Can't say what I've payed to get a Parks Kobold Clip and now you say approx. 15 $...oh my...

That's so great.

roygilsing and Sym-Cha like this.
  8. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Order placed, my man! Can't tell you how excited I am for this!

roygilsing likes this.
  9. Jedi Reali

Jedi Reali Sr Member

Great stuff, thanks for this!

Might I suggest altering the thread title though... I literally ignored this thread multiple times because I thought it was about OT style parts to build custom lightsabers with, which would not interest me. (Saying "custom build lightsaber" makes me think of a lightsaber that is not in the movies or the EU.) I finally clicked on it out of boredom and here it was a thread I've been waiting for. :lol If it simply said "OT Lightsaber Parts" I would've known immediately what it was about.

roygilsing likes this.
  10. roygilsing

Great suggestion Jedi Reali, but I can't change the title of the thread it seems.
    Learning something each day :D

11. NeoRutty

If you hit "edit" there will be a second "edit" button that will let you change the title.

12. jkno

jkno Master Member

The T-track looks really cool!

roygilsing likes this.
  13. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I tried your suggestion with my original D-ring thread to no avail ... it only changed the title of that particular post ... not the main thread title :confused

Chaim

14. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Try this:
    Klick "Edit" and then "MoreReplyOptions"

It worked for me ;)

15. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You will receive the Koboold reflector holder soon.
    I left the spring small bolt and balls it will be easier to measure the bolt.
    please take care about the bolt hole place, I sent you a file with correct place for centering the bold holes.

roygilsing likes this.
  16. roygilsing

Re: Various OT lightsaber parts

Great! I did manage to change the title! Thanks NeoRutty and Jedi Reali; that second edit did the trick.

Roy

17. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Awesome! I'll definitely be placing an order for the ESB kits when they're finished!

roygilsing likes this.
  18. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I already did ... must be an apple issue or something ... quite annoying indeed ... the same as trying to make a members name into a direct link in a post with an underscore line ... humbug! ... let's just move along and enjoy these newly replicated lightsaber parts ... shall we :) here's a straight sideshot :

[​IMG]

Chaim

19. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

You are one cool dude.

roygilsing likes this.
  20. danblank

danblank New Member

Excited that your store is now live! Will be placing an order soon - thank you for such detailed photos here!

roygilsing likes this.
  21. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am already a fan of your work!

roygilsing likes this.
  22. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Real nice-looking T-track. I've always found Gino's T-track to be too thin.

roygilsing and thd9791 like this.
  23. thd9791

I just noticed this this afternoon. I Like the clean sharp look though. Regardless, I happen to find Roy's to be...a little more accurate. This is me looking at MOM and Archive photos with a gut reaction. Anyways, Roy are these extruded too?

roygilsing likes this.
  24. roygilsing

Hi thd9791, yes the profile is extruded and measures 13.5 x 7.1 mm with less than 0.1 tolerance.

Roy

25. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok since I was dragged into this and my stuff is being included in comparisons, I feel this needs to be said.

I think it's great that there are t-track alternatives especially cheaper ones.
    And roygilsing I don't want this post to come off as putting down your stuff. But when comparisons come up that include my stuff or untrue statements are made such as the one quoted here I'm going to have to chime in and set the record straight.

But as far as accuracy goes, mine is the only one in that comparison shot that has the actual true screen-accurate profile.
    My track was created from measurements taken from actual screen-used t-track as opposed to using screen shots etc for the basis of the replica.
    I think the comp photo shows the differences quite clearly.

I think this new stuff is pretty close, definitely closer than marv's or blastech, but to say it is perfectly screen accurate would be a generalization.

26. Darth Lars

Technically, I expressed my personal opinion. I did not make a statement that could be true or untrue.

I am not 100% sure that this track is perfect to my own mind's view of the real track but so far I find it to be a good candidate. Yesterday, I ordered only a single set of track so that I could examine it closer in person before I choose to replace the track on my lightsabers and blasters. Maybe the top of the fin is too thick, in which case I would sand it thinner. I could modify the track more to my liking, which I wouldn't be able with yours ... because your track is too thin for me.

Saying that your T-track would be perfectly accurate is also a generalization. Perfection is theoretically impossible.
    Even if you have taken measurements of some original T-track, your design is still an interpretation, just that you have scaled down the level of interpolation to fractions of a millimetre.
    It is the nature of thermoplastic that it shrinks and warps somewhat as it cools after moulding or extrusion, and that means that there are tiny differences from track to track and sometimes even from different spots on the same track.

After several years, someone else started a competing product at a quality level approaching yours. That is something that happens in business that you just have to accept. I think it would be more productive of you to improve the attractiveness of your own product than to talk down other people's products and the people who are interested in them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  27. GINO

What I'm saying is that if you laid my track down next to the real deal you couldn't tell which was which even with calipers.
    You can only get that kind of accuracy from taking measurements from screen-used stuff. Hardly from photographs.

There is nothing on my product to improve, and I'm sorry you interpret my clarifying of the facts to be talking down to other people's stuff. That is not my intent.
    If I don't clear the air here and now, that's how misinformation gets spread.

I don't mind a competing product. I don't and haven't minded any of the others over the years as well. What I do take issue with the muddying of the waters that would lead people to believe that this new track is more accurate or even as accurate as mine when it factually is not.

In fact, many times I have referred people who didn't want to spend the extra money for my t-track or didn't care that much about hardcore screen accuracy to people like marv.
    I would have no problem referring those people to roygilsing as well.
    The people who buy my stuff usually know what they are getting in advance so I don't see it as a competing product.

NeoRutty likes this.
  28. NeoRutty

Im just stoked all these options exist. I've put blastech on my scratch built, I've put Gino's on my ANH luke... and now as I put together an ROTJ MOM Vader, I'll likely pick up Roy's...

I've got Marv's on an old flash where I wanted to just incorporate styles from various sabers...

It's ludicrious to put down one over another... it's all good. I've got this growing collection, and it seems every guy putting out parts is getting represented.

Further more, I'm looking forward to what Roy has coming down the line. The kobold clip is great cuz it cost me a stupid enough to get my last parks, and I really didn't want to pay that again for the ESB I have coming up.

Darth Lars and thd9791 like this.
  29. thd9791

Hear Hear!

(My apologies if my comment stirred the pot. Like I noted, that's just my gut/first impression. Obviously I haven't handled the real thing, but I still feel free to express my opinion, I don't have facts)

On that note, does anyone know if this track was cast/replicated for floor prop replacements in later years, or did they have a solid stock to use for replacements up until ROTJ?

30. roygilsing

Various OT lightsaber parts

Hello GINO, pleasure to meet you. Thanks for your response, I was expecting your reaction and wasn't surprised about what you wrote.

You claim to have the only perfectly accurate T-track, which is a very bold statement. I have a few remarks about your claim:

First of all, I wonder why you claim to have (had) access to actual screen used T-profile but don't explain which prop it was, where is was and how you did it. Why would anybody take your word for it? If you make claims like that why don't you back it up with some evidence? I would. I actually describe in detail my process, which is basically what we all do here on this forum. I can't claim to have had access to the real props, because I haven't, but as you can see in my post I did use images from the archive and shown in this blog: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...tos-from-the-lucasfim-archives-from-19961997/
    As you notice there are three images of the Luke ESB saber and somebody is measuring a track with a caliper. With some Photoshop enhancing and smart deducing the values can be read. And thus the width is a given.

Second is related to the interpretation of the shape of the section of the profile. In order to replicate the T shape, at some point in time, some form of interpretation MUST take place. ONLY measuring width and height doesn't give you the proper shape of the profile. What about the truncated rib? What about the radius on the base? This comes down to copying it in CAD software at some point, and this is done by people with eyes and hands. YOU have done this and I have done this. There is no such thing as a 'perfect replica', because we are not perfect human beings.

Then there is the imperfections and production related tolerances that Darth Lars is mentioning.

Fourth and last is most important of all, and is the whole ESSENCE of the RPF. It is about the passion and pleasure of building replicas. It is about fantasy and fun. It is an emotional process, with people enjoying their hobbies. It is not a cold, clinical thing. Not a science, not a single truth. That is why every person has a different point of view on what is right and what is perfect. And they are ALL right and ALL perfect. This is what I like a lot and even though I'm an engineer, it's this softer side that makes me want to do all this.

I hope I didn't offend you, so let's just move on and do what we all like doing; build beautiful things.

Roy

Aison likes this.
  31. GINO

I don't think of it as bold. It's just factual.

Because I'm not always at liberty to disclose such things.
    No one HAS to take my word for it. In fact I would encourage anyone who doubts my credibility to NOT buy from me.
    The stuff I have is meant for people who have to have the most accurate and know and trust me and my body of work.

Yes, but I have and on many occasions. And while mine is based on using actual measurements and scans, yours is based on extrapolating/deducing data from photographs.
    And we all know when you go try to reverse engineer from photos there is quite a bit of interpretation and human error that enters the equation.
    All you have to do is look at the comparison you posted of my t-track next to yours and you can see the errors in yours quite easily.

Who said only the width and height was measured?? Measurements were taken as well as actual scan data and my profile was created from that.

I see people in the prop world using this excuse to create a false sense of equality. "Nothing is perfect so both of our imperfect replicas are equal on some level."
    This is simply untrue. Accuracy can me measured and quantified and mine is indistinguishable from the real stuff whether you judge by eye or caliper.
    That is about as 'perfect' as one can hope for.

Agreed. So you can understand why I take issue when someone comes along and makes untrue claims about something I've made or try to create a false equivalency in order to compete for sales.

I fundamentally disagree with all of this. Accuracy can be measured and quantified. And there is truth in accuracy.
    People's personal preference for accurate vs idealized is an entirely different thing and that is not what is being discussed here.

Yeah, pretty offended. Calling my credibility into question as well as fostering the misconception that your product is as screen accurate as mine when factually it is not pretty much does the trick.

I've had harmony with the other t-track makers because none of them ever tried to say that their stuff was more accurate than mine when it wasn't. They catered to a different group of prop collectors who were fine to sacrifice a certain amount of accuracy for a cheaper cost. Nothing wrong with that and because of that I very often refer people to them who come to me who want t-track but don't have to have the best of the best or want a cheaper alternative.

But it seems you (or a couple of your customers) have chosen to attempt to muddy the waters when it comes to the differences between what you have to offer vs. me.
    That's what I take issue with.

scarf man likes this.
  32. roygilsing

Well, I apologize for giving you the idea that I was trying to bring your credibility into question. I am not. And the fact that you have access to the archives and make scans of the original props is something I can only envy you for. I also never tried to claim a MORE accurate profile than yours or anybody else's. That is not for me to decide. It's just that I have used all my skills to create what is good for myself. And I am myself very pleased with that result. It is unfortunate that you are not at liberty to disclose some more information on the process, since it would be very interesting indeed.
    Again, my apologies for offending you.

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

33. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Thank you for making this stuff available Roy. Everything looks great and I've ordered a set of T track for my ESB Graflex.

34. thd9791

...well *. That escalated quickly.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    LTsmash1200 and joostin like this.
  35. forcesensitive

forcesensitive Active Member

Various OT lightsaber parts

...nevermind

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    roygilsing likes this.
  36. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Now this is a rather interesting question ... since I haven't found any real vintage T-track ever since I started looking for it ... besides the nice metal one found by pfillery from downunder that alas also had the wrong profile . . . so does anyone know? . . . Was there an abundance of stock T-track available between 1976 and 1983 for the propguys to work with?

Chaim

roygilsing likes this.
  37. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

Does your T-Tracks come with a strip for attaching it?

38. roygilsing

Hi Andymac84,
    No, they don't. The tracks are best glued with an epoxy adhesive. Double sided tape is maybe an option, but when I tried it didn't stick well to the Graflex. Or maybe it just wasn't the proper tape.

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

39. PoopaPapaPalps

Considering someone was selling them by the spool on the Junkyard before the overhaul (I don't remember if they were correct but they sure looked the part), I'm sure the prop guys had easier access to them than we have now.

40. Darth Lars

I searched in some old threads and found:
    I thought that there was also a post from moffeaton about seeing resin-cast T-track on a prop from ROTJ, but I can't find it. I might have remembered wrong.
    Of course, T-tracks were moulded in on some "stunt" E-11's used in ESB who were moulded whole and cast in resin as one piece.

41. jkno

jkno Master Member

Not sure if they were original though.

The Pugman blaster has accurate (molded-in) t-tracks. I also think Master Replicas t-tracks from the E-11 are pretty accurate, though idealized, especially when rounded to insert in the barrel.

Wish we could find a batch of the old stuff...

42. Darth Lars

Yep. It is the type of his original production-used blaster that I was thinking of.
    But you can't rely too much of one of his recasts as reference, partly because of paint thickness and partly because of resin shrinkage in each generation. We don't know at which generation his original blaster really is nor which types of resin/s were used.

Indeed. It is a bit frustrating considering how many wrong types of T-track we have found.

43. jkno

jkno Master Member

I know of the shrinkage possibility alas. Though I don't own any MR lightsaber I'm wondering how they compare to Gino, Roy, Marv and even MR E-11 or MR Force FX T-tracks.

44. PoopaPapaPalps

Got my ANH set today and they were flawless! Slapped them on my Graflex as soon as I got them and this is the result:

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Not bad for what could be the easiest thing to assemble ever.;)

EDIT:
    So much for it being easy! I just noticed I cut my grips a little too short. You got another order from me on the way!:facepalm

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    thd9791 likes this.
  45. roygilsing

Looking good! Thanks for sharing!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

46. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed you need your grips to be just a little short otherwise you can never open up your clamp again ... so leave it be, yours look fine to me ... get moving on to a Luke ESB G R A F L E X instead ;)

Chaim

thd9791 likes this.
  47. NeoRutty

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with the lengths... unless it's on the not pictured back end...

48. thd9791

I'll agree with chaim: I can't adjust my clamp until I take my blast-tech grips off. I've been waiting until I get replacement track (speak of the devil) so once I budget it in, I'll redo mine!

49. PoopaPapaPalps

It's the distance between the clamp and the top of the grips; it's too large. I don't intend to open the clamp or do anything else with the saber beyond the grips, that's why I have everything locked in place. Everything is where it needs to be to my liking. I'll keep these grips, though, whenever I find a good replica body of an MPP for an ANH Vader (if I decide to do one, my initial plans are to keep my collection small and select for now) and use the extra track for the thing on Han's ANH Hero.

No, Luke ESB for me, I'm afraid. Don't think I have it in budget for another Graflex (let alone the price I got my current one at, which was a steal) and I'm perfectly alright with an ANH Luke in my arsenal.

50. Darth Lars

Have you pressed the Graflex together completely? When the clamp is loose there should be a little bit of play lengthwise.

I suppose he was thinking of Blast-Tech's rubber T-track which was made to fit against the body of a Graflex flash...

Some people mount T-tracks on their Vader sabers with double-sided foam tape, because it lifts the ends of the tracks over the MPP's endcap . It is not perfectly screen accurate, but it looks neater. The sides of the tape should be blackened with a marker pen first. I don't remember who here that first posted about this trick.

I put some Milliput into the grooves of some T-track I got from Roy, to adapt them to be used with thin double-sided tape on a Graflex, but it was much more difficult to do right than I thought it would be. Some thick glue would be easier.

The original tracks were used for sliding drawers in office furniture. That is why the base is mostly flat. It has been speculated that the groove was intended for a string of glue. Another theory is that it is because if you cut off a section of the fin and drive a screw through the base into the cabinet wall, then the screw might drive up some wood chips that would need some place to go.
    Even though the exact type has not been found, at least six other types of plastic furniture tracks have. Some have had an almost-identical groove to the movie-used (and to Roy's) tracks. Others are flat on the bottom or have barbed protrusions to fit into grooves in the cabinet wall.

I think I and he must have referred to the lightsaber that Darth Vader's severed hand is still holding after Luke had cut it off in ROTJ. That lightsaber is definitely a resin-cast, probably of the "Barbican saber" with a couple different greeblies.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014