Van Halen 2012 tour with D.L.Roth

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by nwjedidave, Dec 28, 2011.

1. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

if the tickets *aren't* sky high this should be a good show to see.

After a year of rumors surrounding the release of singles and TV appearances, Van Halen have made an official announcement: The band will be hitting the road in 2012, with tickets for their first dates going on sale 10 January.
    Earlier today (26 December), the band posted the above clip that was shot at the the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California. Reportedly, the group filmed a video for a brand-new song at the Roxy, and the promo clip for the tour uses footage from that shoot.
    Regarding the tour, an actual itinerary hasn’t been revealed as of yet, but that info should be coming on or before 10 January.
    While nothing has been confirmed as to a release date of Van Halen’s upcoming disc, a graphic that is being used (see below) lists “2.7.12.” The first single? The full album? We should know soon.
    The new Van Halen record was produced by Ross Hogarth and is the band’s first full-length album with singer David Lee Roth since the release of 1984 (which was issued on the last day of 1983).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Wonder if they'll show up at NAMM this year?

3. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

As much as I love me some Van Halen, they ARE missing Mikey on the bass. His harmonies really pushed the vocals. I've only seen snippets of the last tour with Wolf on bass, but it just did not even sound...well...Van Halen.

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I want to know if they'll make it the entire tour without Eddy needing rehab or them randomly firing Dave to get another singer and suddenly fire him too. I used to like the band but the Van Halen brothers are a shady pair when you look at how they act sometimes. Not to mention Dave likes to push people's buttons but that makes him a good front man.

5. Qui-Gonzalez

All I have heard from people in the know is that it's Al that is the typical big brother d..khead. Eddie puts on the tough guy air, but it's Alex calling the shots. Honestly, them pushing out Mike was a BAD move.

6. cboath

cboath Master Member

I thought the story on Mike was that after the last rehab, Eddie wanted a less 'party' atmosphere. In seeing Chickenfoot live, it seemed that Sammy and Mike were all about the huge party aspect of things - drinking on stage, etc. It almost appeared as if Satriani stayed as far away as possible on stage. Don't think that was true, but it decidedly appeared that on stage that 3 of the 4 were hard core partiers and Satriani wasn't. Not that it's true, but that's how it looked.

I'd heard Eddie and Alex wanted less of a Party atmosphere and that's what led to that departure.

Have to admit, too, that I don't expect the tour to last the duration. Then again, Dave's been back in for like 2 years now without being booted. That is a surprise as well :)

Dweezil Zappa was raving about the stuff Ed was doing these days so if nothing else, i'd really love to hear the new stuff. Don't have to see it.

7. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

They where supposed to be on Tour in Oz this bast winter but cancelled the headline slot as they weren't ready. I'm a massive VH with Roth fan, not a big fan of what they did with Hagar and VH3 well that went out the window of the car after 10 mins.

I have to say if the new album is as good as Me wise Magic on the best of then I'll dig it big time. There are a lot of rumours going around of how great the album is but I work in this industry and know only too well not to believe the hype.

I will be so chuffed if its a classic VH album but dont have great hopes, EVH has a bad rep cos he really is a bad drunk and nasty as hell so if Alex is worse then Eddie no wonder its a tuff thing being in the band. Hagar has said some quite interesting things in the press recently again pinch of salt stuff.

There is also rumours they will be at Reading and Leeds festival in the UK & T in the Park in Scotland this year, which is great news as I'm there every year.

New Tribal Tech album in Jan -Feb also, now thats a good thing in my book.

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One can only hope but I don't see it happening. :lol

9. GiovanniDekkers

GiovanniDekkers Active Member

Let's Hope for some Van Halen in Nijmegen, after all 3/4 of them are Dutch, I hope Eddy will go back to the roots with a new album, if only Wolfgang would pass the envelope to Eddy to bring back Marc Anthony, as a son I would understand something like that.

10. Qui-Gonzalez

I should revoke your fan status. :behave

11. mike5150

mike5150 Well-Known Member

I saw them back in 2007 during their reunion tour so I wouldn't mind seeing them again!

12. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

There was an article in Rolling Stone not too long ago about Sammy Hagar and his adventures with Eddy... ye gads, what a freak show! If the stories about Eddy Van Halen are true... this is gonna implode faster than a grease fire in Rosanne Barr's panties.

13. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I've always said that I wanted to see Van Halen and FINALLY I may have my chance!!

14. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I toured with them back in 2007. Roth is in better condition at 54(?) than I can ever hope to be. Hopefully they can make this work.

I dont know the back story on Mike. I would assume they are still on decent terms as he has stuff on their official web site.

I did a little prop replica of a Frankenstrat from an old guitar lying around. It sits in a plexi case with one of my tickets. Lost my all access passes.

15. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

To bad Hagar won't be with them. Looks like he is doing very, very well these days. I guess the aliens he talked about meeting in his book, really did give hime some good advice;)

16. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Mike (and Sammy) were on That Metal Show not long ago. Sammy was trying to be nice about how things ended with the group but you could tell it was tough for him not to take a few jabs. Mike you could tell wasn't happy, especially since apparently they were still using some of the stuff he recorded for performances without him there to play it, but I think he was trying to be on more civil terms.
    The way the band gets rid of people makes me think if you don't agree with the brothers you get replaced and now that they have adult kids who needs anyone who isn't a family member?

17. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can't go home again.

I am skeptical this will be awesome, but hey - good luck to them!

18. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

I read that too and was thinking the same thing.

According to the article, Eddy is and has always been a train wreck and is the reason for just about all VH related problems.

19. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Anybody that can play the guitar that well, there has to be something wrong with him in other areas.

20. IndyFanChuck

IndyFanChuck Sr Member

When I did Stand Up Comedy I had a bit about how terrible David Lee Roth is. It's true. He's just awful. Not as bad as Attack of the Clones, but really only 2nd to that level of terrible.

21. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Read Hagar's autobiography. I can't remember the name of it--Red Rocker or something like that. He tells many stories about Eddie. Obviously the guy is and always was, a major mess.

22. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

read both Sammy's book, and the R.S. article. It will be interesting to see if the tour can make all the dates with out any set backs. I hope they all have grown up, and can make it work.

I'm excited to see what "new" VH will sound like. (we all know DLR just can't hit the high notes like he once could)

23. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They went on tour in 2007 and it went great.

This is not new.

24. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

the new album would be all "new" music.

25. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

No Michael Anthony, no Van Halen.

26. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

very true Mic, but I think this is going to be as close as we get.

27. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

28. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

Hopefully they can survive long enough without imploding to tour Australia, although I'm not holding my breath. As long as the new album is solid though, I'm happy. Hey, it can't be worse than VHIII, right? :lol

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Yes:
    [​IMG]

No:
    [​IMG]

30. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

man I would have thought Wolfie would have dropped a few pounds!

31. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We have a pool at work. The over/under date on an implosion is April 2nd, and the odds of it making to the closest venue to us (Oakland-June 3rd) is 4-1.

32. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

33. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

His mom sure has. She was on the Late Late show a few weeks ago, when we went, and she looks spectacular, especially for 53.

34. cboath

cboath Master Member

Just got a presale offer for tickets and, as much as I'd like to see them - I think they're over reaching a bit. 18,000 arena, entire lower bowl $150 a seat. Rush was only 90.

It's funny, they ad only says 'tickets start at 29.50' - for 29.50 you get to choose from the last 3-4 rows at the back end of the upper deck. Maybe 100 seats worth, if that :)

35. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Wowzers!

36. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

*sigh*
    Most bands seem to be sticking of to their fans with ticket prices a bit much these days

37. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

They manage to make that cash because everyone wants to see this older bands who manage to fill the stadiums and not the new bands who barely can fill a bar.

38. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

Same $150 here and the tickets go onsale Saturday...would like to go check it out.

39. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

$150 is too steep for me. I was hoping to see them because I've been a big fan for years. But no Michael Anthony, the 'train-wreck side-show" that both DLR and Eddie have been, and the just 'so-so' song "Tattoo" made me decide against it.

At an average of $90 Bucks, ticket prices are just too steep these days. And they're charging $150 plus "convenience fee's"??? Forget it. I saw DLR at a bar here years ago for $45 bucks and he was over 2 hours late! Who does he think he is?? That left a bad taste in my mouth. I worry that this current tour will be postponed or canceled.

Van Halen has had a great run, and I admire them for trying to do it all again and rekindle that old flame. But start off slow, charge less for tickets, get intimate with the fans again, and see what kind of following you still have. They've disappointed me, and I wont be going to see them, but I wish them success and good luck.

40. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The ticket buying experience is ridiculous now. I hopped onto Ticketmaster just for the heck of it to see what tickets would cost and see this:

American Express Cardmember Presale:

Live Nation Mobile App Presale:

Internet Presales:

American Express Preferred Seating:

Then there's all these different 'packages' to choose from. Where's the option for just buying a gd ticket?

41. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

+1 ^ This!!!

I remember going to the box office and standing in line 3-4 hours in the cold and buying "mediocre" seats for $13.50 for several shows back in the 80's!!! I don't miss standing in the cold or in line for hours, but I'd gladly trade back for it over this fiasco of buying tickets and fighting brokers/scalpers for good seats today!!!

42. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

I bit the bullet and used my AmEx. Right around $150.00 each, and the seats are on stage right, 35 rows up.

Hell its only money, and I can't take it with me.

43. ChaoBreeder

ChaoBreeder Active Member

The tickets are expensive because that's how the band makes money. Bands used to make more money off of the record, but due to pirating things have changed.

44. Qui-Gonzalez

Here's where I am struggling with this. I am a huge VH fan. I used to play bass in a VH tribute (And was as good/better than our guitarist at Eddie's bits). That said, it does NOT feel the same without Mikey. It certainly doesn't feel $150 good...yet. The two cuts I've heard from the new album are songs from 1975 repurposed for the new disc. That is not filling me with confidence.

Am I still going to buy the new album? You betcha. Does my going to see them in concert hinge on this new stuff? You betcha. If it is as mediocre as "Tattoo", I'm good on not seeing them.

45. cboath

cboath Master Member

It's more trying to get as much as you can and taking a piece out of the secondary market than it is to do with piracy.

I just don't see these places selling out at 150 a pop. Maybe i'm wrong, and i'm someone who's paid more than that in the past, but i've seen them before (and it was great), but after 15 years of nothing and not being sure if they'll make it the whole tour...

Keep in mind those $15 in fees won't be refunded if they cancel...

Springsteen: 90, Rush 90, Elton John/Billy Joel 125 - all lower bowl prices. don't see this VH being bigger than all the above...

46. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Highest 'normal' ticket was 147 + 30 in fees.

I saw the most expensive packages were sold out at some arenas. They are what? Like 800 bucks?

I think the premium seats were something like $1200+ each. :lol