Van Aken Platalina Question

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Malibu139, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Malibu139

Malibu139 Well-Known Member

I had some of this clay and threw together a sculpt of something I am working on.
    completed it quicker than I thought.
    I only have used Chavant before

Is it ok to make a silicon mold with Van Aken plastalina ? Their site says it doesn't have sulphure, just wandering if anyone had used it.

I can get some Chavant if necessary and re do , I just don't want to waste molding materials.

Thank you

2. Monsterbuilder

Monsterbuilder New Member

Van Aken is perfectly suitable for a silicone mold. I've done it many times. Van aken is my clay of choice. My mold making silicone is Tin based however. I'm not sure how Platinum does with it.

As a fun aside.. I'm pretty sure that this is the clay that Will Vinton used for the California Raisins.

3. Malibu139

Thank you
    I am using rebound 25 , and I think that's platinum. anyone know about that?

4. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Make sure you seal the sculpture well. Crystal Clear is a great sealer, just dust a few light even coats on the sculpture.

After you've sealed it, you should do a small test with the silicone just to be absolutely sure it will not be inhibited. Van Aken clay is typically pretty low quality.. the chances of sulfur contamination are very high.

5. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Yep, Rebound 25 is platinum cure.

6. Malibu139

Thanks that covers it. I appreciate it!