Van Aken Platalina Question

Malibu139

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had some of this clay and threw together a sculpt of something I am working on.
completed it quicker than I thought.
I only have used Chavant before

Is it ok to make a silicon mold with Van Aken plastalina ? Their site says it doesn't have sulphure, just wandering if anyone had used it.

I can get some Chavant if necessary and re do , I just don't want to waste molding materials.

Thank you

Van Aken is perfectly suitable for a silicone mold. I've done it many times. Van aken is my clay of choice. My mold making silicone is Tin based however. I'm not sure how Platinum does with it.

As a fun aside.. I'm pretty sure that this is the clay that Will Vinton used for the California Raisins.

Make sure you seal the sculpture well. Crystal Clear is a great sealer, just dust a few light even coats on the sculpture.

After you've sealed it, you should do a small test with the silicone just to be absolutely sure it will not be inhibited. Van Aken clay is typically pretty low quality.. the chances of sulfur contamination are very high.

Make sure you seal the sculpture well. Crystal Clear is a great sealer, just dust a few light even coats on the sculpture.

After you've sealed it, you should do a small test with the silicone just to be absolutely sure it will not be inhibited. Van Aken clay is typically pretty low quality.. the chances of sulfur contamination are very high.

Yep, Rebound 25 is platinum cure.

Thanks that covers it. I appreciate it!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back