Vade's cape

Thanks for pointing out that site. I've been thinking of adding Vader soft parts to my line of products. This was a good start to seeing what the actual shapes are.

~ GM

Gino knows the exact specs but he is so darn secretive with giving out information. I dont know what his problem is. :confused

Being a professional costumer, I can understand how some costumers want to keep the information they've gathered to themselves. Still, it makes it difficult for people like me to fill the void when suppliers stop making certain items for fans and items of quality become scarce. The key is to get a little info here and there, and eventually gather enough to produce an item that meets the authenticity standards of fans and collectors like us.

~ GM

I have found Gino to be fair with his giving of information. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the link to that site. Great reference.

Thats pretty much the pattern I'm using for my costume. Almost about to sew the wool to the satin.

I believe though that in the movies, Vaders Cape was made from one or two VERY large peices of fabric.

I have to agree, Gino isn't bad like that, just shoot him a PM and he's good with info.

Anyone can get the specs for the Vader capes as it's just trial and error - no way he or anyone else (except maybe DJ) had access to original capes. :)

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Anyone can get the specs for the Vader capes as it's just trial and error - no way he or anyone else (except maybe DJ) had access to original capes.[/b]

I've had access to original vader stuff including the capes.

I don't mind pointing in the right direction, but some specific things I'd prefer not to be public. I'm usually more comfortable when it comes to sensitive info with either close friends or people I'm actively working on a project with. Hope you understand.
Either way, it's my nightmare that I'd contribute info that would lead to a mass produced item for the costumed masses. Just not my bag.

I ended up with a (almost) 3/4 cape. Wool Gaberdine, lined with Satin. Well, when its done. :)

As for the quilted suits, My wife made that for me. It may not be perfectly accurate. But they'll look really good regardless. I've learned that 100% accuracy when it comes to Vader is not attainable.

<div class='quotetop'>(Dark Shadow @ May 30 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1253338[/snapback]</div>
Gino knows the exact specs but he is so darn secretive with giving out information. I dont know what his problem is. :confused
[/b]

Not to worry. Exact measurments from LFL are being collected by a team of some ambitious researchers. I give it a few months and they plan on posting everywhere and making LFL Vader specs public knowledge. I've talked to a couple of the guys and they are sick of how secretive "vader creators" are. These guys have had their hands on about 3 or 4 different LFL suits, including a tour costume or two. I think they are comparing and compiling the info. Not sure 100% how it works.

I've seen the chest box and belt cad's with full measurments. They are AWESOME. It was cool to see the exact measurements of the buckle. Wish I would have commited them to memory.

But I can see Gino's point about mass producers. I believe if I had the knowledge I'd share it publicly with those that are serious about the trade and creating of a perfect Vader. I wouldn't just give the info to joe schmoe internet. If a true RPF'er or costumer wanted to know the dementions of a chest box or belt buckle, and I had those numbers, I'd share. I'd be a little selective. making sure that the person at least has built a sort of reputation first. If I haven't heard of them, I'd probably pass.

So like i said, I see his point. I just get sick and damn tired of asking those who claim to have exact numbers, say "no" to me when they have seen me around the net and RPF and know I take the trade serious. Just because someone makes an overpriced Vader Buckle, and they fear that if I made on for myself, I'd try to out sell them for something that isn't even theirs in the 1st place. I've NEVER had problems with Gino though. From what I know, he's pretty helpfull to those that take it serious and "honor the code".

<div class='quotetop'>(Jack Bauer @ May 30 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]1253501[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Dark Shadow @ May 30 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1253338[/snapback]
[/b]

Not to worry. Exact measurments from LFL are being collected by a team of some ambitious researchers. I give it a few months and they plan on posting everywhere and making LFL Vader specs public knowledge. I've talked to a couple of the guys and they are sick of how secretive "vader creators" are.

I've seen the chest box and belt cad's with full measurments. They are AWESOME. It was cool to see the exact measurements of the buckle. Wish I would have commited them to memory.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds good. But then I'd have to redo my Vader. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(Jack Bauer @ May 31 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]1253501[/snapback]</div>
But I can see Gino's point about mass producers. I believe if I had the knowledge I'd share it publicly with those that are serious about the trade and creating of a perfect Vader. I wouldn't just give the info to joe schmoe internet. If a true RPF'er or costumer wanted to know the dementions of a chest box or belt buckle, and I had those numbers, I'd share. I'd be a little selective. making sure that the person at least has built a sort of reputation first. If I haven't heard of them, I'd probably pass.

So like i said, I see his point. I just get sick and damn tired of asking those who claim to have exact numbers, say "no" to me when they have seen me around the net and RPF and know I take the trade serious. Just because someone makes an overpriced Vader Buckle, and they fear that if I made on for myself, I'd try to out sell them for something that isn't even theirs in the 1st place. I've NEVER had problems with Gino though. From what I know, he's pretty helpfull to those that take it serious and "honor the code".
[/b]

Very well said. That has been my impression of Gino as well.

I have a paatern for both the inner robe and the cape I slightly altered an exhisting pattern I think it is simplicity the cape is a halloween pattern full size. the robe is a biblical pattern

<div class='quotetop'>(SHalamar @ May 30 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1253382[/snapback]</div>
Thats pretty much the pattern I'm using for my costume. Almost about to sew the wool to the satin.

I believe though that in the movies, Vaders Cape was made from one or two VERY large peices of fabric.
[/b]

From the many different reference pix that I've seen, the cape differs throughout the OT and even within the same film....except ANH as I believe they used only one capeset. Therefore, minor details will be different....just looking at different hems, there are many variables as to how they were sewn.....

That said, the cape pix that I've seen have used 3 to 4 wedge sections sewn together. One or two sections would neccessitate a gigantic piece of cloth.....typically swatches are commonly available up to 60" wide...some commercial fabrics may be offered in wider swatches....

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ May 31 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]1253702[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(SHalamar @ May 30 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1253382[/snapback]

[/b]

From the many different reference pix that I've seen, the cape differs throughout the OT and even within the same film....except ANH as I believe they used only one capeset. Therefore, minor details will be different....just looking at different hems, there are many variables as to how they were sewn.....

That said, the cape pix that I've seen have used 3 to 4 wedge sections sewn together. One or two sections would neccessitate a gigantic piece of cloth.....typically swatches are commonly available up to 60" wide...some commercial fabrics may be offered in wider swatches....
[/b][/quote]

Yup. My Cape has six wedge sections sewn together. Took about 6 yards of fabric. As for the differences in the movies, the cape style, and length likely depended on the shot, and what vader was going to be doing. (Don't want the dark lord of the sith tripping over his own cape, or his stormtroopers trodding on it)

So 'perfect' screen accuretness won't really be possible. Too many debates aver the bottom trim (Leather? Satin?), or even how much of a cape it was. (1/2 circle? 3/4 Circle? I went with 3/4 circle, though wiuth the sewing, it ended up slightly smaller than that, which looks just fine).

So while two different people could both handle screen used capes, they could likely come back with two vastly different numbers. So my philosophy is: Go with what looks good. If its your costume, you're not going to be on a movie set. you're going to be walking in crowds. Aim for comfort, and looks. CHances are, you'll look just like Vader from the movies.

<div class='quotetop'>(SHalamar @ May 31 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]1253706[/snapback]</div>
So while two different people could both handle screen used capes, they could likely come back with two vastly different numbers. So my philosophy is: Go with what looks good. If its your costume, you're not going to be on a movie set. you're going to be walking in crowds. Aim for comfort, and looks. CHances are, you'll look just like Vader from the movies.
[/b]

I agree. What's most important is that you like your own costume, after all you are the one who has to wear it. If it's accuracy you like, fine. If not, that's fine too.

Well said.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back