Vader revealed mask parts

Originally posted by gladus63@Mar 11 2006, 07:55 PM
[attachmentid=7174]

Is these the same "eyes" than the ones used in ROTJ revealed inside mask ?

Cedric
[snapback]1203692[/snapback]​

I don't think the ROTJ mask had shutter eyes, the ROTS one did and these look right. What camera are they from?'

Nathan

Originally posted by KAIBURR@Mar 12 2006, 05:24 AM
I don't think the ROTJ mask had shutter eyes, the ROTS one did and these look right. What camera are they from?'

Nathan
[snapback]1204015[/snapback]​

Just the opposite in fact. The ROTJ reveal did have shutters behind the eye lenses and the left eye (as seen from inside the mask) had a Copal MXV shutter similar to the shutter on the right in the photo above with slight differences in the self-timer cover and the slow speed governor. The shutter cocking lever was also trimmed off (arrow) on the original. The right-side shutter has never been resolved in photos, atleast none that I've seen, and so is presently unidentified as a result. If anyone is ever able to produce any closeup shots of the original it would only be a matter of time in finding it as well.

Not the clearest of pics but here's one identical to the studio original left side shutter with the areas different from the one in the above right photo highlighted:
000_0778.JPG

Edit: Credit to Wackychimp for photo hosting.

Originally posted by jme3+Mar 12 2006, 06:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jme3 @ Mar 12 2006, 06:07 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KAIBURR
@Mar 12 2006, 05:24 AM

Nathan

Just the opposite in fact. The ROTJ reveal did have shutters behind the eye lenses and the left eye (as seen from inside the mask) had a Copal MXV shutter similar to the shutter on the right in the photo above with slight differences in the self-timer cover and the slow speed governor. The shutter cocking lever was also trimmed off (arrow) on the original. The right-side shutter has never been resolved in photos, atleast none that I've seen, and so is presently unidentified as a result. If anyone is ever able to produce any closeup shots of the original it would only be a matter of time in finding it as well.

Not the clearest of pics but here's one identical to the studio original left side shutter with the areas different from the one in the above right photo highlighted:
000_0778.JPG

[snapback]1204166[/snapback]​
[/b]

So the left one is more accurate as I see on your pic ?

Actually it would be a mix of the two of the shutters in your photo but the result still wouldn't be 100% correct. These Copal shutters came in a variety of designs and even ones within the same family (MXV as is the case here) could be functionally identical to one another but would differ in their part design and layout. It can be an expensive hit and miss endeavor finding the exact one so if you're not planning on absolute precision then either of the ones in your photo would be okay.

Originally posted by jme3@Mar 13 2006, 02:16 AM

Actually it would be a mix of the two of the shutters in your photo but the result still wouldn't be 100% correct. These Copal shutters came in a variety of designs and even ones within the same family (MXV as is the case here) could be functionally identical to one another but would differ in their part design and layout. It can be an expensive hit and miss endeavor finding the exact one so if you're not planning on absolute precision then either of the ones in your photo would be okay.
[snapback]1204500[/snapback]​

Thanks, that's what I will do,

Maybe this helps. It's a pic of the inside of the original ROTJ reveal mask.

Cheers, Tom

rotjeyeshutter0ya.jpg

Originally posted by jme3+Mar 12 2006, 06:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jme3 @ Mar 12 2006, 06:07 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KAIBURR
@Mar 12 2006, 05:24 AM

Nathan

000_0778.JPG

[snapback]1204166[/snapback]​
[/b]

How long have you had this photo??. This has to be atleast from the Smithsonian exhibit (if not sooner?) as the mask after that point began its deterioration inside whereby the cloth dropped over the right side shutter obscuring almost half of it. Although not a straight-on shot it is without question the clearest one I have ever seen of the right side shutter. :thumbsup :D

Thank you for posting this shot. Now let the search begin. :)

Rgs,
James

Originally posted by vadermania@Mar 13 2006, 03:56 AM
Maybe this helps. It's a pic of the inside of the original ROTJ reveal mask.

Cheers, Tom

rotjeyeshutter0ya.jpg

After looking over this new photo and comparing it to some of the shutters I accumulated while looking for the left side shutter, it seems this one is from the Citizen family of shutters. It's hard to be absolutely certain due to the angle of the photo but the lower-most housing (underlined) appears consistent with a couple that I have. Other areas are not exact (and again it's hard to tell) but it suggests they're from the same make. The self timer (arrow) has had its stem removed just like the Copal shutter on the left side and the shutter cocking lever seems to still be there (circle) somewhat. There was also a shutter called a Prontor on TLR (twin lense relfex) cameras of that age. I've never seen one of those but it's possible that those were similar to or even made by Citizen. I'm not an expert by any means but I know a good deal more now than I did before I started this search years ago. :p

Rightsideshutterhallmarks.JPG

The pic is a detail of a larger pic from the complete inside of the mask, which I actually held in my hand for the photograph in 1995.

Tom

Originally posted by jme3@Mar 13 2006, 08:30 PM
How long have you had this photo??.  This has to be atleast from the Smithsonian exhibit (if not sooner?) as the mask after that point began its deterioration inside whereby the cloth dropped over the right side shutter obscuring almost half of it.  Although not a straight-on shot it is without question the clearest one I have ever seen of the right side shutter.  :thumbsup  :D

Thank you for posting this shot.  Now let the search begin.  :)

Rgs,
James

[snapback]1204928[/snapback]​

You held in in your own hands??? :eek

WHat would you charge for some detailed pics of the masks interior? :D

Markus

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back