Vader Prop Replica Helmets Discussion

the Pawn

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to discuss the different Vader Helmets available. Maybe a member has all of these different Vader replicas and can reply:

1. eFx Legend;
2. eFx Regular;
3. ANOVOS;
4. Brian Muir;
5. Quasimodo;
6. JB ESB
7. Sideshow

I'm sure I am missing some others so feel free to add to the list and discussion.

I have both eFX versions, Sideshow, ANOVOS (on order), Quasimodo ESB (on Order) and Brian Muir ANH (on Order)

So which is most accurate and well made?

Once more unto the breach! Let the battle begin!

MTFBWY and LLAP and Take Care

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should also remember that all EFX versions are ANH, others might be ANH, ESB or ROTJ. Thus each one can be accurate to that particular movie

I personally own the DU ANH helmet. Probably not up most people's "standards" but for the price point and overall execution, I love it.

If you're strictly talking fiberglass helmets, EFX limited and legend are no longer being made - though they can be found on eBay fairly frequently.

The injection molded plastic EFX Helmets are their current offerings.

Also, CFO is offering the GS "as-is" helmet. But look for a cleaned up ROTJ cast sometime, hopefully a really good minimally cleaned up ANH version, and possibly an ESB. I'm hoping this happens, as it's great for the hobby and collectors. If they do it right, a GS ANH helmet would be stellar, and they'll have the most accurate ROTJ helmet available. :)

I see RS Prop Masters is making the Brian Muir helmet, but they also have a 20th Century ESB cast they're making (seen the photos posted on Facebook) - not sure how frequently they offer the helmet.

I am very happy with my Quasimodo V2 ESB. It is not 100% accurate (not meant to be) and I could nitpick a few minor details but it screams Vader and looks better than any other ESB replicas I've seen, except for the TM. The fibreglass work is very high quality too and because it's so lightweight you'd almost think it was carbonfibre construction.

The JB looks stunning too but the dome looks somewhat awkward to me. The Anovos looks pretty poor to me to be honest, something about the eyes and the dome looks soft and just not right.

A production derived helmet like a SL or TM would be the ultimate but the cloak and dagger stuff puts me right off. I may upgrade to a GS at some point, it's great that CFO is open to offering these to fans. For the forseeable future I'm delighted with my Quasi though and one Vader helmet is plenty for me. Just need more trooper helmets flanking it.

Last edited:
Only the EFX helmets are a direct(but heavy cleaned)cast from a screenused helmet.
EFX new Plastic helmet uses this source also.
From what I know all others are fanmade or reworked casts.But some of them are very nice made.
And on starwarshelmets is a warning about JB that lots of people lost their money and never became a helmet.

Which version do you want?ANH,ESB,ROTJ,ROTS,TFA....:D

Last edited:
I think I've done ok here, but I'm sure someone will chime in if not :) (I've been wrong before.. once or twice :lol )

1. eFx Legend; ANH, derived from Rick Baker molds, with some cleanup deemed necessary for licensed mass-production. More accurate paintwork than the Limited, but looks more "factory-made" than something like the Muir, Quasi, JB, or other fan-mades.
2. eFx Regular; ANH, derived from same molds as Legend, with (despite what was advertised) I believe the same cleanup as the Legend. Less accurate paintwork, looks evenly sprayed versus Legend's brush strokes of the gunmetal. Same dome on each helmet.
3. ANOVOS; ESBwith some ROTJ Reveal features, more "inspired by" than directly derived from any one source, kind of a blend of influences. Inaccurate in some ways that I'm unclear on, probably good option for wearing (though still heavy fiberglass) but less so if accuracy to any one movie is desired.
4. Brian Muir; ROTJ based, "fan-sculpt" (only insofar as being sculpted by Mr. Muir after the fact, based on his recollection/idea of Vader (I believe?) Some "inaccuracies" to ROTJ but does not claim to be an exact ROTJ replica, so a good option for someone wanting a helmet crafted by the by the very same hands that crafted the originals.
5. Quasimodo; 3 flavors: ANH, ESB, ROTJ, fan-sculpt based on a flawed Ghost Host casting, but significantly different in appearance. Stated intention of sculptor/painter is to capture the "essence" or "soul" (my words) of Vader, versus the "provenance above all" idea (which one could argue describes the EFX lids). Less technically accurate in shape perhaps but has the "look" of the real thing. Comparison of the battered-looking ANH Quasi vs. the somewhat toned down paintwork and finishing of the EFX Legend shows this.
6. JB ESB; ESB, fan-sculpt I believe, to be honest I don't know much about this one and so I'll leave it to others.
7. Sideshow; Bust versus just a helmet, original is ROTJ Reveal type but with a distinctly different "look" with the dome on. Follows in the tradition of Sideshow taking some "artistic license" as far as accuracy is concerned. New version bust without removable helmet is a bit of an unknown to me.

The only Vader lid I own is the Darth Stone ESB one. in my biased opinion. It is the best screen accurate one out there. that's why i got it. The others are also top notch.

this is a great thread for me, as i dont know much about what helmet options are out theret. i'll be keeping my eyes out in this thread, thanks or all the information!

There's always http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php a forum for everything Vader :)

Chaim

Whoa, whoa, hey we trying to have an open discussion here on the RPF not on some other hash forum like "thepropden" and all those losers. Geez. Our geeks our bigger then their geeks. LOL

Oh, wait, I think I'm a member at "thepropden" too. Sorry, my mistake. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if this isn't the best Vader helmet, I don't know what is lol

IMG_3368.JPG

Whoa, whoa, hey we trying to have an open discussion here on the RPF not on some other hash forum like "thepropden" and all those losers. Geez. Our geeks our bigger then their geeks. LOL

Oh, wait, I think I'm a member at "thepropden" too. Sorry, my mistake. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lack.jpg

I would like to bump this thread and update the available list with what I know.

• Bookface offers the entry helmet "Darth Ugly" for $450. For that price it's an exceptional piece. He also offers the Quasimodo for double that price. Now this is my opinion: The accuracy isn't good enough for me to justify the price on the Quasimodo. There are other offerings at the same price with greater accuracy.
  • Shadow FX Studios. Phil still gets hate only because of his history. Don't let that blind your opinion on his helmets. His helmets are not sourced any other way than most fan made helmets, using the 20th c as a base. They are high end and imo more accurate then the Quasimodo. As of late he has been delivering product.
  • Portumac Prop Studios. Manny has been doing this a long time and is consistent at delivering products. He never concerns himself with accuracy but only improved due to the needs of his customer base. His face mask is sourced from the 1997 Rubies statue and his dome is the EFX. His rotj dome was Kent Stones V1 Stone gifted to Manny. This helmet is good for anyone who wants a quick high end piece, it's not terribly accurate.
  • Cast From Original. Mark Edwards was confronted with a production made cast and was given the opportunity to sell as is casts of it. The deal went South as the owner was money hungry but Mark still sells his finished rotj version. This is the only authentic cast available to the public. I hope future artists follow suit and quit with the secret circle jerks as far as authentic casts go. Because of its lineage the price is significantly higher. It's 995 British Pounds. At the time of my purchase the exchange rate was $1,500. This is significantly cheaper then the rest of the Authentic casts. Mark is a game changer in this community.
  • Shenphog. He bought the Ghost Host molds. I'm not sure of the GH ANH helmet but I do know that ROTJ was off a touring helmet. The armor is off an original ROTJ set. He only sells casts with a few commissions for finishing here and there.
That is what I know of to be active. There may be more but these are the high end options. This is retired or inactive sellers.

• JMC. He use to sell his ESB and ROTJ helmets based on a modified DP cast. I know he quit recently and has talked about returning but I have not heard anything from him about actually making more Helmets. He did paint my Kent Stone ROTJ helmet and the quality was fantastic.
  • Kent Stone. He was regarded the best among 501st members for years untill past due clients of his spoke up and ruined his reputation. He has owed many people helmets and armor for 5+ years while delivering to new customers. What a scumb bag. I ordered both helmet and armor cast and waited a year for them to get painted. I got angry and made him ship to JMC. Paint does not take a year. Again his helmets come from the 20thC just like the Shadow FX. Now that Stones reputation is ruined the status of his helmets would take a dive just like it did with Phil. Now this is also my opinion. 2 different 20thC sourced helmets, I feel Phil's are far more accurate. Stone's inaccuracies came to light when i received the CFO. The face is wide and soft with some structural and shape issues, mainly on the dome brow.
  • Anovos. No longer offers it. Even if they did there is a slim chance on receiving it with their current reputation. It's not at all accurate and looks to be Fyberdyne sourced with the caved in mouth vent.
  • EFX. They sold what pretty much was the license cleaned up version of the infamous SL helmet as it shares the exact same source. They offered a Legend and limited versions that are long sold out. They released a plastic PCR version that was assembled in more then 2 pieces leaving seam lines in well hidden places. The mouth vent for some reason got an extreme clean up to look perfect. I'm not sure why though.
And that is what I know. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I would like to add, its shenphong lol, not shenphog. I do get a lot of requests for commissions, just sadly this is a past time for me and I'm not able to provide painting services atm.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back