Vader on budget,scratch build WIP, (PIC HEAVY)

omel

Sr Member
thought i'd give Pep a try, apologies to Vader purists here since this is obviously nowhere near the quality of what you guys make. just wanted to see if i can make something distinguishable at a first glance as Vader...kindly excuse the noticeable inaccurracies (anyway i dont know if this can pass as ANH or ESB or ROTJ, definitely not ROTS because the symmetry is way off, hehe)...as usual this is a budget build

here it goes....
DSC09137.jpg

DSC09138.jpg

DSC09139.jpg

when i got the pep for the head partially completed i really thought that it was way too big... but decided to go on and build the dome as well...
DSC09140.jpg

DSC09142.jpg

DSC09141.jpg

the flare of the dome was kinda flat so i cut up a big piece of cardboard and did this..
DSC09150.jpg

DSC09149.jpg

DSC09151.jpg

test spray paint just to see what it looks like..
DSC09148.jpg

with flash..
DSC09147.jpg

w/o flash...
i cut up some more pieces of cardstock to define the cheek area..

thought the next step was to resin the interior but since i have no knowledge of how to go about it, except what i've viewed on tutorials on the net, i decide to forego it and just use duct tape to make the pep a bit firm...and then...
DSC09156.jpg

DSC09155.jpg

DSC09154.jpg

surprise,surprise...it held up against bondoing...hehehe
DSC09159.jpg

so i thought i'd do the same to the face and neck...using plumbers putty this time...
DSC09161.jpg

DSC09160.jpg

while i was waiting for the bondo to cure properly i tried to do this.. (not a pep just eyeballed some reference photos)
DSC09153.jpg

DSC09152.jpg

i've did some more refinements to the face,dome and chest armor since these shots and although its a rough version it is looking acceptable so far ( at least from my point of view). will post more progress pics when i have done a little more to show..

so far i've learned that.....sanding is such a *%:cry$#:angry@*!!! :lol

big thanks to Fierfek for the pep file!!!

thanks goes out as well to projectearth and quovadis for the suggestions about resin, what it is and where to source it, thanks bros

comments?suggestions?

thanks for looking:)

Last edited:
Re: Fierfeks Vader, first pep attempt

Nice work so far. I don't think I've seen a Vader pep completed before. I'm looking forward to the progress as well.

Re: Fierfeks Vader, first pep attempt

DSC09167.jpg

some items for the chest rods..

DSC09168.jpg

assemled...

DSC09276.jpg

painted and installed... (the chest box is an old picture frame, and the switches and coinslots are just cardboard i cut up and painted, oh and the writing underneath the coinslots are not aurabesh...just copied it from reference pics) not perfect but looks pretty ok to me..:)

DSC09164.jpg

working on the shoulder bells..
DSC09165.jpg

DSC09162.jpg

DSC09172.jpg

makings of the metal thingies on the face...

DSC09280.jpg

DSC09281.jpg

still lots of bondoing and sanding needed..
DSC09278.jpg

DSC09282.jpg

codpiece...eva foam covered with faux leather i ripped from an old planner (hence the noticeable fold along the center......) ;)

more pics when more developments are done...

comments?suggestions? thanks for looking:)

Last edited:
Re: Fierfeks Vader, my first pep attempt

Looks pretty good for a pep file build. Great job!

thanks...this is pretty much an uber slow build, working on it only when i have freetime and not too tired from the office..hopefully i can put up more progress shots soon...Happy New Year to all!

Man, that sure looks fantastic!!!

Good job for the 1st time pep build :):thumbsup

So how is it now?... updates bro :love

thanks guys...

minor updates;

DSC09283.jpg

DSC09285.jpg

Fierfek's vader shin pep file
DSC09289.jpg

DSC09290.jpg

one shin pepped and initial bondo..

DSC09287.jpg

got me a pair of boots..

DSC09297.jpg

lenses from a pair of knockoff oakleys...

DSC09296.jpg

DSC09295.jpg

DSC09294.jpg

DSC09293.jpg

tried to do a better paintjob for the face...

still a long ways to go in a galaxy far far away......

thanks for looking. comments?suggestions?

Last edited:

Wow, this looks great. I like the different ideas you have there, for the rods and the face. Keep it up.....

Re: Vader on budget,scratch build DIY, my first pep attempt

some updates

DSC09299.jpg

plastic electrical utility box

DSC09300.jpg

green plastic folder
DSC09303.jpg

to make these

DSC09301.jpg

DSC09302.jpg

DSC09315.jpg

some bits and pieces...

DSC09309.jpg

DSC09310.jpg

installed on the utility box...

DSC09307.jpg

DSC09306.jpg

quick test on possible lighting method..

DSC09311.jpg

DSC09312.jpg

outlet plate as base for buckle,painted black and stuck cardboard painted silver on top.

DSC09313.jpg

DSC09314.jpg

DSC09317.jpg

now to find the belt...

thats it for now...
thanks for lookng, comments?suggestions?;)

Last edited:

This is a great thread! I love the inginuity!

Awesome build with those household items and such.
Simply amazing.

-Giorgio

thanks guys, pretty soon i'm gonna have to sit down and finish the bondo,sand,bondo,sand, more bondo and more sanding for the dome, armour and shinguards, then paint and move on to the soft parts..will post more photos with next developments. thanks again ;)

This is outstanding! This is exactly how I build most of my stuff, well done! The belt boxes look great!

On the helmet, the dome looks like it's falling back and should be raised more. It could just be the angle of the photos, but I think propping up the rear of the dome from the inside should give the helmet a better proportion.

The new paint job looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

This is outstanding! This is exactly how I build most of my stuff, well done! The belt boxes look great!

On the helmet, the dome looks like it's falling back and should be raised more. It could just be the angle of the photos, but I think propping up the rear of the dome from the inside should give the helmet a better proportion.

The new paint job looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Thanks Magnoli,

yep the dome as of those pics, sits flush on the top of the head of the face portion of the mask, but when i've done the final bondo/sand/paint for the dome i will adjust the best position for it. i agree with your observation that it needs to be propped up to raise the back portion and lift the whole helmet a bit.

Thanks again ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back