Vader on budget,scratch build WIP, (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by omel, Dec 2, 2011.

1. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thought i'd give Pep a try, apologies to Vader purists here since this is obviously nowhere near the quality of what you guys make. just wanted to see if i can make something distinguishable at a first glance as Vader...kindly excuse the noticeable inaccurracies (anyway i dont know if this can pass as ANH or ESB or ROTJ, definitely not ROTS because the symmetry is way off, hehe)...as usual this is a budget build

here it goes....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

when i got the pep for the head partially completed i really thought that it was way too big... but decided to go on and build the dome as well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the flare of the dome was kinda flat so i cut up a big piece of cardboard and did this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

test spray paint just to see what it looks like..
    [​IMG]
    with flash..
    [​IMG]
    w/o flash...
    i cut up some more pieces of cardstock to define the cheek area..

thought the next step was to resin the interior but since i have no knowledge of how to go about it, except what i've viewed on tutorials on the net, i decide to forego it and just use duct tape to make the pep a bit firm...and then...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    surprise,surprise...it held up against bondoing...hehehe
    [​IMG]

so i thought i'd do the same to the face and neck...using plumbers putty this time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while i was waiting for the bondo to cure properly i tried to do this.. (not a pep just eyeballed some reference photos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've did some more refinements to the face,dome and chest armor since these shots and although its a rough version it is looking acceptable so far ( at least from my point of view). will post more progress pics when i have done a little more to show..

so far i've learned that.....sanding is such a *%:cry$#:angry@*!!! :lol

big thanks to Fierfek for the pep file!!!

thanks goes out as well to projectearth and quovadis for the suggestions about resin, what it is and where to source it, thanks bros

comments?suggestions?

thanks for looking:)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. littledragon88

littledragon88 Active Member

Re: Fierfeks Vader, first pep attempt

Wow, that helmet front looks awesome! Good work!! Can't wait to follow your progress. :thumbsup

3. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work so far. I don't think I've seen a Vader pep completed before. I'm looking forward to the progress as well.

4. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks really good, looking forward to seeing it finished.

5. omel

omel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    some items for the chest rods..

[​IMG]
    assemled...

[​IMG]
    painted and installed... (the chest box is an old picture frame, and the switches and coinslots are just cardboard i cut up and painted, oh and the writing underneath the coinslots are not aurabesh...just copied it from reference pics) not perfect but looks pretty ok to me..:)

[​IMG]
    working on the shoulder bells..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    makings of the metal thingies on the face...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    still lots of bondoing and sanding needed..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    codpiece...eva foam covered with faux leather i ripped from an old planner (hence the noticeable fold along the center......) ;)

more pics when more developments are done...

comments?suggestions? thanks for looking:)

JWMines likes this.
  6. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Re: Fierfeks Vader, my first pep attempt

Looks pretty good for a pep file build. Great job!

7. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thanks...this is pretty much an uber slow build, working on it only when i have freetime and not too tired from the office..hopefully i can put up more progress shots soon...Happy New Year to all!

8. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Man, that sure looks fantastic!!!

Good job for the 1st time pep build :):thumbsup

So how is it now?... updates bro :love

9. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Looking great

10. justincruz

justincruz New Member

Thats talent! congrats bro...looking forward to more progress

11. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thanks guys...

minor updates;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fierfek's vader shin pep file
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one shin pepped and initial bondo..

[​IMG]
    got me a pair of boots..

[​IMG]
    lenses from a pair of knockoff oakleys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tried to do a better paintjob for the face...

still a long ways to go in a galaxy far far away......

thanks for looking. comments?suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. Joe Pep

Joe Pep Active Member

Wow, this looks great. I like the different ideas you have there, for the rods and the face. Keep it up.....

13. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Re: Vader on budget,scratch build DIY, my first pep attempt

some updates

[​IMG]
    plastic electrical utility box

[​IMG]
    green plastic folder
    [​IMG]
    to make these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    some bits and pieces...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    installed on the utility box...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    quick test on possible lighting method..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    outlet plate as base for buckle,painted black and stuck cardboard painted silver on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now to find the belt...

thats it for now...
    thanks for lookng, comments?suggestions?;)

PropReplicator2 likes this.
  14. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a great thread! I love the inginuity!

15. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome build with those household items and such.
    Simply amazing.

-Giorgio

16. xmr1

xmr1 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm amazed, looking very good. I'd never have the the patience or the skill to pep something

17. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thanks guys, pretty soon i'm gonna have to sit down and finish the bondo,sand,bondo,sand, more bondo and more sanding for the dome, armour and shinguards, then paint and move on to the soft parts..will post more photos with next developments. thanks again ;)

18. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is outstanding! This is exactly how I build most of my stuff, well done! The belt boxes look great!

On the helmet, the dome looks like it's falling back and should be raised more. It could just be the angle of the photos, but I think propping up the rear of the dome from the inside should give the helmet a better proportion.

The new paint job looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together!

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

19. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Thanks Magnoli,

yep the dome as of those pics, sits flush on the top of the head of the face portion of the mask, but when i've done the final bondo/sand/paint for the dome i will adjust the best position for it. i agree with your observation that it needs to be propped up to raise the back portion and lift the whole helmet a bit.

Thanks again ;)

20. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

I never thought Macgyver is into props/costume making... lol:lol

Well done bro... well done! (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

21. omel

omel Well-Known Member

correction bro...."YOU DA MAN!!" with your Ironman related projects.:lol, but thanks anyways...comments from greatly talented people such as you is highly appreciated.

22. DOORMANMATT

DOORMANMATT Active Member

In awe of this!

May the force be with u always!

Awesome build!

23. drago0013

drago0013 New Member

You've done a great job! Anxious to see how the rest of it pans out! I would really like to see some more on the shins if you can.

24. MaskMaker

MaskMaker Active Member

SCREW the purists and have fun at what YOU want to do. Yeah. I said it. Now go play.

25. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a great build!
    It is really fun to see someone making this with just the household items available.
    It reminds me of the early days of Star Wars costume making when all the parts were not identified or replicated and you had to find whatever was laying around to match the photos.

Takes me back to by first Boba Fett (made of sintra and buttloads of time in front of the TV with ESB on VHS on pause!). That comment alone should date me pretty good!

Good Luck and keep up the outstanding build!

26. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Hahahaha:lol....i still have my anh,esb and rotj vhs tapes somewhere in storage;),

27. PetiteAltesse

PetiteAltesse Active Member

This is really amazing! Love what you've got so far. Really excited to see the finished product. C:

28. slipshot139

slipshot139 New Member

That is truly an amazing job for a pep project. Especially on a budget, I have personally attempted pep builds myself but they have never turned out as good as this. Again great job and I as with everybody else who has seen this I can't wait to see the finished project :D

29. Dirty

Dirty Member

You really can think outside the box and use some everyday items to come up with a fairly decent wearable pep suit. I can't wait to see finished project mate.

30. Tom Sheldon

Tom Sheldon Active Member

This is so great!
    And its just paper and plastic folders! :D
    ...And a whole lot of work. Respect!

31. Lauralot

Lauralot Member

This is gorgeous. I love costumes that are pieced together and still look as awesome as this build does.

32. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thanks guys for your kind words, got some small items over the weekend from the hardware store ( an aluminum round thingee to be put on the buckle, its what is used to hold up mirrors unto the wall), some colored led lights ( kids' toys from a 66-88 peso store, going to diy a lighting method for the belt and chest boxes), some faux leather belts to use as straps for the codpiece and the chestbox and an all leather belt for the ...uhmm.. the belt itself ;), made a new shoulder armour (still out of cardboard), coz the first one i did was a bit small in comparison to the mask/helmet, oh and i adjusted the mounting ( temporary) of the dome as suggested by some of you guys and yep it made a big difference...., made some DIY shoe lifts ( out of eva foam) for my boots, ( with it and my mask/dome on,my Vader stands at about 6'4"/6'5"., i stand at 6 ft. flat barefoot hehe) hoping i get inspired to do the bondo/sand/paint routine for the shin,shoulder bells and dome soon ,,lol..will post pics soon. thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  33. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Omel, ya budget scratchbuilds are inspirin ta say th' least awesome job bra keep it commin.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk

34. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Thanks Bro,

Hoping to get something done soon so i can post more development pics. which i hope can give others some ideas they can use for their respective builds ( not necessarily Vader).

:)

35. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Well-Known Member

Dude, this is amazing. It's also pretty much exactly how I do costuming, minus the pep part just because I've never tried pep. I think making stuff out of found items is my absolute favorite part of this hobby.

36. CorriTimigan

CorriTimigan Active Member

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I'll be watching intently :)

37. Papa Darth

Papa Darth New Member

Very creative and inspiring work. I look forward to seeing the completed project.

38. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

Wow. Unreal. Love it.

39. AnotherChris

AnotherChris New Member

That's incredible! It never fails to amaze me what people with passion can get accomplished. It's already more impressive than the tattered remains of my ESB Vader build. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

40. omel

omel Well-Known Member

here are some updates done over several weeks ( worked on it only when i wasnt dog tired from the office)
    [​IMG]
    found this aluminum round thing...

[​IMG]
    added piping/lining to the cod piece ( some black audio wire lying around...worked pretty ok i think), and attached the belt

[​IMG]
    plumber's chain painted black...kinda small links but will do for now..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    made some hands from newspaper and masking tape to give form to rubies gloves a cousin sent over from the UK..

[​IMG]
    oh...and he sent me this as well..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    need to make about 6-8 of these for the back of the mask...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    added legs to my duct tape mannequin and put all finished (semi-finished parts) on it, the cape is the temp cape from my TDK..oh and so is the TDK undersuit hehe, still figuring out what to do/use for the soft parts ( body suit, robe & cape), the helmet, armour and shins are still a long way to go in the bondo,sand and paint dept but its shaping up pretty ok, albeit a bit slowly..

comments, suggestion? thanks for looking

will post other progress pics when theres more to show..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  41. waltonrawlins

waltonrawlins New Member

dude this looks amazining. you have done some wonderful work and from scratch.

42. modellbaubert

modellbaubert New Member

Ok, thats just AmAzInG!!!! you got such great ideas!! you made a really good vader costume out of trash! You are just brilliant!!

43. omel

omel Well-Known Member

thanks guys! appreciate the kind words...oh i forgot to mention, a friend found some thin faux leather that looks really good for only around 2$/yard ( cheap huh?)asked her to get me a couple of yards...now i gotta find someone who can turn it into a vader body suit i have in mind. :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  44. omel

omel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tried to give the shins a better finish( the bondo,sand,bondo,sand,bondo,sand routine got on my nerves , hehe,so decided to cover large areas with vinyl placemats), cardboard, plastic placemats, plumbers putty,foam....still wonky but will do for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

a shot with the temp inner robe and the hands/gloves attached..

still dont know who can make the undersuit and nice soft parts..

thanks for looking. comments?suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  45. omel

omel Well-Known Member

since i still cant find anyone here who can make the undersuit for me....i did this just for fun...please bear in mind that this is a fun budget project and is not intended to be screen accurate or anything...made from (as usual) bits and pieces scrounged from the storeroom,

[​IMG]

my attempt at a Vader reveal collar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

comments? suggestions?
    thanks for looking!;)

46. JUSTINIAN

JUSTINIAN Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks really good. I just started to do these peps also. I'll have to look back at your work as a reference.

47. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Thanks, feel free to send me a PM if i can help out with your build in any way. lookin forward to seeing you post your progress:)

48. omel

omel Well-Known Member

made some refinements to the shoulder bells...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut up an old plastic bowl, painted it, stuck it to cover the duct tape bondo old shoulder bells and ...tadahhh, shiny bells, and its held unto the armour by hotglue. ;)

49. jw3032

jw3032 New Member

I guess this build makes it official; I have no excuse for not being done with my Vader yet just because I can't find the helmet kit I want. You're an animal! This is a terrific build.

50. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Thanks bro:), just go ahead and finish your build...just don't forget the fun factor as the main reason for making such things, because even if you finish a super gorgeous build but remain unhappy about it...it will all be in vain. any and all improvements will come later....remember...have FUN!!:lol hope to see your build!