Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

oh 1257? oh damn, I thought I was a clever boy and was the only one who found this one... First time I found a MPP in the wild, too bad :)

I wonder though, if you look at the photo comparing my hilt build to the original, if the PCB itself may be the more rare tan color rather than the blue/turquoise. My thinking is, if it were indeed the blue, it would be a whole lot darker around the LEDs and much harder to discern their shape from the PCB itself.

Like this one?
74F8078B-1807-4EFF-904F-DA5D5FFE6F9E.png

There is a tan and blue version of the large LED board. Likely different factories or batches, whatever color PCB material they could find in bulk cheap I would assume.

As was mentioned, there are two color styles of the red LED board that was used in the Vader ANH black bars saber. One is opaque blue and the other is a partial green mask over translucent “natural”/cream board. The available reference photos do not confirm with 100% certainty which color was used.

belloq, we don't know for certain that both color variants of the red LED PCB were used in the film. It seems reasonable to assume it could have been the tan variant since the black and white photo of the original prop has a light board behind the LEDs (which obviously would not be consistent with the darker blue variant PCB), but as you said, since we have no good photos yet of that feature on the original hilt we may have to wait to say for certain. :)

It’s similar to using nine-digit bubble strips or seven-digit bubble strips for sabers— only the seven is accurate. The spacing of the nine-digit models is not accurate, and the red LED’s in many models have bubbles/lenses built into them. For whatever reason, the seven red LED’s that fit the bill for the Vader ANH black bars saber are only in a minority of a few select models.

Why not take a B/W photo of each & compare?
Your wish is my command:

Tan PCB with red LEDs

Tan PCB with red LEDs-2.jpg

Blue PCB with red LEDs vs. original prop

IMG_0140 with Original Hilt.jpg

Seems clear the original prop did not have a blue PCB, lol. The tan one still looks a bit too dark. Might it be possible they used a cream Exactra 21 board? SenorChang, do you have a good close up photo of your board without the bubbles hiding the LEDs? As I look at the original prop, it seems like the LEDs might be closer together than on my prop build on the left.

Might be too soon to dismiss blue PCBs because BW changes by light conditions and contrasts.

Also, it seems like the 'lighter' areas in the ref photo are mostly silver solder.
If you look closely, the PCB areas around the silver solder still appear dark and highly saturated like the blue PCB

Your wish is my command:

Tan PCB with red LEDs

View attachment 1046908

Blue PCB with red LEDs vs. original prop

View attachment 1046909

Seems clear the original prop did not have a blue PCB, lol. The tan one still looks a bit too dark. Might it be possible they used a cream Exactra 21 board? SenorChang, do you have a good close up photo of your board without the bubbles hiding the LEDs? As I look at the original prop, it seems like the LEDs might be closer together than on my prop build on the left.

Have to save this photo is beautiful

Might be too soon to dismiss blue PCBs because BW changes by light conditions and contrasts.

Also, it seems like the 'lighter' areas in the ref photo are mostly silver solder.
If you look closely, the PCB areas around the silver solder still appear dark and highly saturated like the blue PCB
The silver soldered traces on the original prop PCB are darker than the board itself which, in my view, could possibly be lighter than the tan PCB above. One could focus as much light as possible on the blue PCB, and it simply won't be as light as the board on the original prop. There also seems to be a much higher contrast between the LEDs and the light PCB vs. my blue PCB and the tan one.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back