vader leather suit pattern?

frosty

Sr Member
Well i have decided to get cracking on my vader, i have most of the bits now, my partner has offered to sew up the undersuit, she is just asking for a pattern.
Any links etc would be appreciated

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 3 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1255614[/snapback]</div>
I'm curious about this as well.
[/b]

Ok. My wife made me a leather Vader Suit. Its a little easier than you think. But it is a LOT of work.

You'll need 3 or 4 Half hides of HIGH quality leather. High quality to avoid numerous flaws and holes in the hide.

You need patterns. Patterns are easy. Go to a sewing type store (Jo-anne fabrics for example) and browse the patterns. You want to find a straight-leg pant pattern, and a simple shirt. Go for a size or two BIGGER than you need to account for shrinkage during the quilting. Remember, its easier to take in, than to let out.

The patterns will need a minimum of alterations. You don't need pockets, but remember that your shirt will button/zip at the rear. The back of the shirt doesn't have to be leather. No-one sees it, after all.

We used a cotton lining for the suit, as well as a slightly thick cotton batting for the quilting, to help the 'ridges' stand out. (It gets VERY hot though). If you are going to use a sewing machine GET A WALKING FOOT. You will need one to avoid the leather slipping. Remember, you'll have three layers of fabric.

The quilting is roughly 1" apart. You can get fancy and do V-hsaped and the like, but thats a LOT more work.

Here is what my suit looks like.

bodysuit.jpg

'The only thing I would have done different, is make the tunic a little looser.
Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Patterns to draft from are not a problem. I have literally hundreds in my reference stock. So, 1" spacing between the stitches. Does anyone know for certain if the sleeves are cut that way?

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 3 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1255721[/snapback]</div>
Patterns to draft from are not a problem. I have literally hundreds in my reference stock. So, 1" spacing between the stitches. Does anyone know for certain if the sleeves are cut that way?
[/b]

My sleeves are probably 'off' at the shoulders. Most patterns have the shirt go across the shoulders, but the sleeves do not. But again, Under the surcoat, and under the armor, no-one can see. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 3 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]1255738[/snapback]</div>
I'd still rather know what the orignals have.
[/b]

NO idea. And I woul dbe willing to bet that those people who do know, won't talk.

<div class='quotetop'>(SHalamar @ Jun 3 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]1255751[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 3 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]1255738[/snapback]
I'd still rather know what the orignals have.
[/b]

NO idea. And I woul dbe willing to bet that those people who do know, won't talk.
[/b][/quote]

I doubt that is the case. I'm sure if you PM someone who knew they would be happy to help. Things aren't always as hard as you may figure...

Thanks for the replies so far, this is just for a display vader so it does not need to be perfect, i will talkto my partner and see what she says, sewing is beyond me.

OK, the next logical question is, what is a properly made Vader suit worth? Pleather price, leather price. What's a fair price for time and materials?

Custardkitty suits go for $200 on ebay.......others go for up to $400....

However, I think quality, reasonably priced 2 or 3 piece leather suits would be the real draw. Personally I have no desire to spend $1000+++ for one, I'd rather have it made....but if someone could make them for $400 - $600...I think they'd sell a ton of them. Materials can be found cheap enough along with labour to still turn a profit....

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ Jun 4 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1255964[/snapback]</div>
Custardkitty suits go for $200 on ebay.......others go for up to $400....

However, I think quality, reasonably priced 2 or 3 piece leather suits would be the real draw. Personally I have no desire to spend $1000+++ for one, I'd rather have it made....but if someone could make them for $400 - $600...I think they'd sell a ton of them. Materials can be found cheap enough along with labour to still turn a profit....
[/b]

Easily. My wife said she would likely charge about $600 IF (she will NOT) she would make another to sell. It DOES take a lot of work. Its not hard, its just a lot of work.

Get a good supplier of high quality black leather, and you could likely do well.

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 4 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]1256131[/snapback]</div>
So, $400 for pleather, $600 for leather? I'm thinking of adding a panel of Dri-Tek mesh across the back for breathability. Any thoughts?
[/b]

$400 for pleather is a little steep IMO.....the custardkitty suit sells for $200 and she does a pretty decent job on it......however, pleather is pleather....for another $200 I would think that most would just step up to the leather suit.

The mesh is a great idea for ventilation across the back of the shirt...I would also suggest venting the crotch of the pants as welll.....gets very humid down there :$ ..... and would be invisible once suited up.....

You're right. I'm thinking $250 to $300 is more reasonable for pleather. Leather hides can be pricey for that much coverage, so I wouldn't think $600 is out of line for nicely finished hides. Interesting idea about a crotch vent. I'll consider that.

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 4 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]1256233[/snapback]</div>
You're right. I'm thinking $250 to $300 is more reasonable for pleather. Leather hides can be pricey for that much coverage, so I wouldn't think $600 is out of line for nicely finished hides. Interesting idea about a crotch vent. I'll consider that.
[/b]

I have a custardlitty and a Rubies suit. I got the crotch vented in my Rubies suit and it really does help.

My wife is a interior designer , next trade show shes going to get some leather from one of the dealers. She has already agreed to sew it for me. I know there was talk of a 3 piece leather suit where the torso came off from the sleeves. Im thinking zip out/velcro removable lining, adding a pocket and fly zip, the mesh back idea sounds great as well. Just a thought.

Kell

<div class='quotetop'>(kell @ Jun 7 2006, 03:55 AM) [snapback]1257561[/snapback]</div>
My wife is a interior designer , next trade show shes going to get some leather from one of the dealers. She has already agreed to sew it for me. I know there was talk of a 3 piece leather suit where the torso came off from the sleeves. Im thinking zip out/velcro removable lining, adding a pocket and fly zip, the mesh back idea sounds great as well. Just a thought.
Kell
[/b]

a mesh back to the vest will make your life a LOT easier, even with all that cape and under robe on top of it. As to the fly- by all means. If you need to take an emergency relief break, it is priceless.

FYI. In the new SW Insider, pg.65 there's two Vader pics I've never seen before.. the shirt w/ chestbox. It's not the best pic, but you can clearly see the sleeve pattern and there's an action pic of the stuntman wearing the suit w/o the cape.
Jayn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back