Vader helmet tusks - what were they?

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sooo, as far as I can remember the tusks on Vader´s mask have not been identified.

Since I have been out of the Vader loop for a few years now I have no idea what´s been researched and discarded as not fitting, so I will throw my hat into the ring and say that they might have been guitar strap locks Genuine Schaller latest S-Lock Straplock. pair - Vintage Copper Made in Germany | eBay
I have not come across any that are really close, but due to size and overall design I dare say that might be a lead that needs to be looked into. I know that there are enough close enough replicas out there, but hey, it´s a white whale that needs to be hunted down, right? ;)

Last edited:
INTERESTING

a theory I had a while ago involved a vintage version of spike Camera Tripod Feet
ObenMetal Spikes (3 Pieces) for 3/8

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.59.35 AM.png

but now that I look closer, those security schaller strap locks have an incredibly similar profile to the ANH helmet :D

Last edited:
This is great - love seeing these 'obvious' little bits that have gone still unidentified after all these years coming to the fore.

This is going to be fun to watch!

Dan

It will be interesting to see if the search finally comes up with something. All the research I'm aware of says they were custom machined parts. But we won't find it if we don't look.

so freaking cool.

Has anyone asked Brian? he's usually very helpful and happy to talk about it, especially if it's for historical / preservation purposes.

The tusks were model boat parts . ... the bits the ropes wrap around ..capstans? Is that the right word ? Produced for people making their own model boats , possibly about 1/8 or 1/6 scale .
Billing boats in Europe still to this day make a very similar item in brass for their model boats .

The tusks were model boat parts . ... the bits the ropes wrap around ..capstans? Is that the right word ? Produced for people making their own model boats , possibly about 1/8 or 1/6 scale .
Billing boats in Europe still to this day make a very similar item in brass for their model boats .

Rob!!! Thanks for chimeing in! You could have told me about that when we met at the RPF booth at CE3 back in 2016! :D ;)

Found this about making your own.looks like it could work but the originals defenatly didn’t have an x or a line on them,so unless they filed the screw head down a bit this wouldn’t work.
BE46742F-CAD2-4FF4-AD8D-C2E7E0617B43.png
DE254739-B83C-4B8C-B0ED-B42E3365661C.png
274F50AE-3E0D-4499-81C3-14B958C82F58.png
BE46742F-CAD2-4FF4-AD8D-C2E7E0617B43.png
DE254739-B83C-4B8C-B0ED-B42E3365661C.png
274F50AE-3E0D-4499-81C3-14B958C82F58.png

I'm 99% certain that we have statements from Brian Muir and/or Don Bies that the tusks were custom just like the coin slots. I've taken a casual look to see if I can find the threads here and over at the Prop Den but, so far, haven't been able to locate them (odds are they are around ten years old at this point). But in the interest of not quashing the search here's a closer look at the part that is being identified. Remember that there were two types of tusk. Star Wars and Empire had the round tip and Jedi had a pointed tip:

This is the efx ANH Legend but, in my opinion, they got extremely close to nailing the shape down:

This is from a screen used RotJ stunt helmet that I photographed at the Denver Art Museum:

Cheers!

Dave

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back