Vader Dome paint and Shipping help

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tom1971, May 10, 2012.

1. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Well talk about getting your * kicked.

I sold my Vader Reveal a while back and found a few scrateches on the dome. I decided to re-finish the whole thing, instead of just touching it up as I was never 100% happy with it and I like giving my customers the best I can.

Stupidest thing I ever did. After weeks of working on it and the finish not coming out as nice as it had before I finally stripped and primered it one last time. Wet sanded this thing until it was smooth as silk and put about three cans of Gloss black on it. Now it was not as perfect as I would like but it looked good and I felt it was as good as it was gonna come out. I did not glosscoat it as I was pretty happy with it and did not want to run the chance of ruining it.

It dried for over a week. Packed it up and shipped it to my customer.

it arrived with bubble wrap imprints on it and is ruined. It's currently on it's way back.

I have never hated this hobby until now.

Any ideas???????

Thanks

2. Vadermonkey

Vadermonkey Well-Known Member

Just went through this exact thing...PM sent.

3. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what is the solution?

4. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

paint not cured still i cure 3 wks. Wrap helmet in newspaper or tissue paper, then bubble wrap. Never had a problem with this method.

5. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I will try that.

I am hoping I don't have to strip the whole thing.

Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I have another question:

After primer coats using the special Auto primer that fills in little cracks I wet sanded this SOB until the whole thing was smooth as silk. It was so clean and smooth.

After about three cans of gloss black it looked good but not as 100% as I would like.

I was going for a mirror black shine. The top area was that gorgeous gloss black glass looking finish. Other parts of the helmet looked good but not as mirror gloss black as I would like.

Any suggestions to get the whole thing looking that good??

Thoughts on Gloss coat as well would be great.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

You can leave it out in the sun, or take a heat gun to it. Be very careful with the heat gun! If it is just gas bubbles in the paint brought on by the bubble wrap, they will disappear. I had the same thing happen years ago with a JB dome.

8. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your other option is buffing it out. To get a mirror look I wet sand with ultra-fine grit cloths--2000 to 10000+ --then I use Novus three step plastic polish.

I've only clear-coated once on top of that process and when I did I repeated the sanding/buffing and it looked like glass.

9. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

That's after painting?

10. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Excellent I will try that for sure.

Thanks Clutch

11. dcarty

Yes, that's after painting.

The way I usually run things is to paint two dust coats and a wet coat, let it sit for a week, then wet sand with 800 or so paper and give it a rinse. Once it's dry I repeat the process two more times (paint, sit for a week, sand) or more if needed. After the final wet coat has sat for a week or so I start in with the ultra fine sanding cloths then the Novus polish.

It's probably massive overkill on my part and it's certainly time consuming but the results are rock hard and shine like glass.

Here's the faceplate of my Stone McQuarrie Vader before I added a clear coat. This is still a work in progress and I should really photograph it again--there's loads of dust on it I hadn't noticed. Also I didn't do the "treatment" anywhere above the eyes since you wont see it:
    [​IMG]

12. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, what's a dust coat vs. a wet coat? Light from a distance vs. close and thick?

Thanks again. therpf rocks!

13. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

14. dcarty

Yes, and yes--lol

That Novus stuff is great and I find that I use it for many things around the house.

As far as the dust coats go I just make sure that things are completely, and evenly, covered. I also change direction between coats--I'll do one coat spraying up and down then do the next side to side or at an angle spraying back and forth. I also tend to wait about 15 minutes or so between dust and wet coats--whatever the instructions on the paint recommend.

Then, like you say, close and thick so it looks "wet". Although not too close and not too thick to avoid runs--ha ha. If you need to do more coats before your wet coat that's fine too. I just find that, generally, three coats overall seems to work for me.

The biggest pain I have with finish sanding is avoiding blowing through the color coat down to the primer. That sucks.

These are the polishing cloths I use. I bought a set of them years ago and they have served me very well:

http://www.detailmaster.com/finishsupplies.pdf