Vader Costume...

Originally posted by clutch@Mar 8 2006, 08:21 AM
Looks like a jb to me.  Now would someone PLEASE start doing poseable Vader-sized mannequins???
[snapback]1201450[/snapback]​

The JB looks very nice SHalamar. I really like the cod, it's hard to find a decent one. What kind is that if you don't mind?

We've been waiting forever for a Vader mannequin it seems. Sometimes I think I should build some more of my "bedframe" mannequins and offer them as alternatives in the meantime. Not that it's anything really great, but at least it's about 6' 10"-6'11" and poseable. Not bad for being made out of garbage I guess. Being metal though, shipping would be horrendous. Who knows just how poseable the correct Prowse-sized mannequins will be if they ever show up. Not to hijack, but here's a pic of how my half-Rubies Frankenstein looks currently on the bedframe thingamajig. (Yes I know it still needs plenty of work.)

V030506-01.jpg

Hmmmm...bedframe mannequin....sounds interesting. I have a few old bedframes in the basement that would do nicely...what'd you do?

The cod is indeed a Dark Shadow. Great great piece. It was the one he was selling in the JY at a reduced price because there is a slight flaw in the leather.

I'll just call it 'battle damaged' :confused

That is a nice looking Vader, PnatheraGem. Ok. Questiont ime for those of you that have nice body suits, how do you get the ribbing to be more.. poofy.. is a good word. Wife and I have done test runs, and while it looks ok, its not very prominate.

Suggestions? Ideas? Does it even have to stick out that much?

Thanks for the compliments. If it's ok with SHalamar I can just post a few pics of the underlying structure and measurements for those that are interested. I don't wanna hijack the thread and I could always post it in a new topic. Unfortunately when I was making the thing I didn't take any pics in it's raw state. I do have a few from when I took it half-apart to make an adjustment. I knew I was going to regret not taking more, I just got a little obssesive. :D

Shalamar, the bodysuit on mine is actually the one from the second wave Rubies supreme. It's looks nicer than the first wave suit, more grainy and less shiny. The first wave suit is thinner, more shiny and crinkly. Ironically, it probably is well-suited to stand in for an ANH Vader, since that's the way that suit always came across to me, shiny and crinkly.

Originally posted by SHalamar@Mar 8 2006, 09:50 PM
The cod is indeed a Dark Shadow.  Great great piece.  It was the one he was selling in the JY at a reduced price because there is a slight flaw in the leather.

I'll just call it 'battle damaged'  :confused

That is a nice looking Vader, PnatheraGem.  Ok. Questiont ime for those of you that have nice body suits, how do you get the ribbing to be more.. poofy.. is a good word.  Wife and I have done test runs, and while it looks ok, its not very prominate.

Suggestions?  Ideas?  Does it even have to stick out that much?
[snapback]1201884[/snapback]​

Every suit I have seen in person has a quilted lining behind the leather/pleather/vinyl/whatever. When you stich in the ribbing, the quilting forces the material in front of it to stand out. Here's a couple of pics of the pants of my custardkitty suit. I have rolled up the leg on the seconf pic so you can see the lining:

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Mar 9 2006, 09:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Mar 9 2006, 09:54 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SHalamar
@Mar 8 2006, 09:50 PM
The cod is indeed a Dark Shadow.  Great great piece.  It was the one he was selling in the JY at a reduced price because there is a slight flaw in the leather.

That is a nice looking Vader, PnatheraGem.  Ok. Questiont ime for those of you that have nice body suits, how do you get the ribbing to be more.. poofy.. is a good word.  Wife and I have done test runs, and while it looks ok, its not very prominate.

Every suit I have seen in person has a quilted lining behind the leather/pleather/vinyl/whatever. When you stich in the ribbing, the quilting forces the material in front of it to stand out. Here's a couple of pics of the pants of my custardkitty suit. I have rolled up the leg on the seconf pic so you can see the lining:

Hope that helps.
[snapback]1202236[/snapback]​
[/b]

That does help. Thanks.

Wife and I have been doing some test runs with the leather, and the batting to quilt with it. We're using Leather and a cotton lining, with cotton batting quilted between the two. It looks ok, but the cotton lining sticks out more than the leather. But then, the leather is a little thicker. :p

Originally posted by SHalamar@Mar 9 2006, 12:58 PM
That does help. Thanks.

Wife and I have been doing some test runs with the leather, and the batting to quilt with it.  We're using Leather and a cotton lining, with cotton batting quilted between the two.  It looks ok, but the cotton lining sticks out more than the leather. But then, the leather is a little thicker.  :p

No problem. My pleasure.

Hope the suit turns out good for you. Make sure you post pics.

Originally posted by SHalamar@Mar 8 2006, 05:50 PM

Of all of the pictures I've seen, the suit doesn't seem to be very poofy at all. I think a lot of fan made suits are actually more poofy than the screen used suits were. They probably only added enough lining to the suits in the movies so Prowse/Anderson, etc. wouldn't have the leather rubbing directly on their skin. I'm sure the costume was hot enough already. I have some more reference pics of the screen suits from exhibits, but I can't remember who took them so I'll just post this one on here. E-mail me if you want more.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/Pan...-1129718484.jpg

Also, for anyone amused by my mannequin made from garbage, I made a post on it here: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=106628

Originally posted by SHalamar@Mar 29 2006, 09:59 PM
*grumble*

Is there any way to re-form fiberglass?  And NOT ruin the paint job?

I didn't think so..
[snapback]1215853[/snapback]​

Unfortunately not.....

Apparently the GT 2006 armor is bigger....

Originally posted by DarkLordSalvo
At 6'6" you should fit everything okay I would think

Sorry about the late reply in this post, but I'm interested in the question of how tall your should be to fit okay in a Vader suit...

So if 6'6 is okay, what would you say is the lower limit??
I guess 6' is out of the question... :unsure

Do whatever makes you happy. Want to be a 5'6 Vader? Why not?

That said, David Prowse is 6'7". I've heard of people 'trooping' as Vader with lifts in thier boots, making them aq couple inches taller. Or platform boots.

I have a quandry.

I purchased this set of armor:

vaderarmor.jpg

Its not bad. Fits me well across the shoulders, the shoulders bells are nice and big. BUT, the armor does NOT fit front to back. The maker has tenetively offered to make another pull improving the width of the shouldrrs to better fit me. (I'd return this set, and get the new. Hopefully, it would fit).

Or should I just look for another, and better looking, and better fitting set?

Opinions? Suggestions?

Originally posted by KevVader+Mar 30 2006, 05:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Mar 30 2006, 05:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SHalamar
@Mar 30 2006, 03:57 PM
...... Or platform boots.
[snapback]1216349[/snapback]​

Yeah, the Gene Simmons Vader look makes me cringe....but whatever floats your boat.
[snapback]1216384[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'm with you there Kev.

Originally posted by SHalamar@Mar 30 2006, 09:43 PM
I have a quandry.

I purchased this set of armor:

vaderarmor.jpg

Its not bad. Fits me well across the shoulders, the shoulders bells are nice and big.  BUT, the armor does NOT fit front to back.  The maker has tenetively offered to make another pull improving the width of the shouldrrs to better fit me. (I'd return this set, and get the new. Hopefully, it would fit).

Or should I just look for another, and better looking, and better fitting set?

Opinions? Suggestions?
[snapback]1216523[/snapback]​

If it were me, I'd shop around. You can get something that looks better IMO.

Would he be willing to refund your money?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back