Vader Costume...

Heres what my rubies test helmet looks like todate. Everytime i learn somthing new or find somthing not right i work it out on this helmet. Now i think i am about ready to do another rubies befor i start working on the reveled vader i have been kicking around. Till i master what i am doing then i will suplt a vader helmet from all i have learned.
test3smaller.jpg

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Feb 13 2006, 01:31 PM
Heres what my rubies test helmet looks like todate. Everytime i learn somthing new or find somthing not right i work it out on this helmet. Now i think i am about ready to do another rubies befor i start working on the reveled vader i have been kicking around. Till i master what i am doing then i will suplt a vader helmet from all i have learned.
test3smaller.jpg

[snapback]1183106[/snapback]​
Excellent mod-job. :thumbsup

Did you remove the nose on that thing? It looks like it. I have followed many mods on the Rubies and that is always one of the things done to it, however, that just makes the helmet less accurate... all you have to do is to fill the seam-line and then it'll be perfect. Taking out the nose plug and you will get a too thin nose ridge and a too large nose area. Just thought I would pass that on. (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.)

I will definitely be interested in seeing an original sculpt. Please keep us updated on that project if you go forward with it. .)

If you are going for a ESB Vader, I wouldn't think you would want to get a "damaged" MR helmet at that price. Besides, the MR helmet is ROTS, not ESB.

I am part of the 501st. Since I do quit a bit of trooping, I bought a DP CA helmet. It is perfect. Light weight, and fairly easy to see through with a lense upgrade. I am planning on pulling the padding out, and replacing it with pluming insulation strips. I am also going to install possibly 2 cpu fans....this is a MUST if you plan on trooping with your lid. It will prevent the lenses from fogging up, and making you go blind ;)

And since I do troop a lot, I bought a set of 2005 GT armor...(I know Kev.) I think that the GT is the best for trooping....looks good, inexpensive. If you want to know where I got it, send me a PM.

But most of all, like it was said before, do your reseacrh, and you will come out with a kick a$$ Vader.. However, HAVE FUN.

VFF

Originally posted by SHalamar@Feb 13 2006, 12:51 AM

How much does it take to mod one?  I've seen some of the 'walk throughs', but sadly, I don't always have the time for all the extensive work that would go into it.  Some, yes, but there's a lot on the rubies to do.

(That and the wife looks at me funny when I mention all the work that would have to go into it.)
[snapback]1182998[/snapback]​

Well a repaint and new lenses would do a world of good but I personally would not be happy with that. To do a good job requires time and patience but it's worth it in the end.

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Feb 13 2006, 07:31 AM
test3smaller.jpg

[snapback]1183106[/snapback]​

Looks good man. What did you use for clear coat? :D

Y'know, ever since it came out......Ive read on this and other forums as to how supposedly crappy the Rubies Supreme helmet is...and frankly, I had my own reservations about it. But these and similar posts and pics prove just how good the Rubies can look with some time and effort.

Outstanding work, guys. :thumbsup

I think for the bucket, I'll try and find either a good quality Don Post CA, or if those are difficult to find, I'll get a rubies and try the extensive mods on it.

I'll likely have to hold out on a superior helmet for the time being due to monetary limitations. (I'm not that Limited, but if I want an outfit in les than 2 years..)

Originally posted by SHalamar@Feb 13 2006, 12:32 PM
I think for the bucket, I'll try and find either a good quality Don Post CA, or if those are difficult to find, I'll get a rubies and try the extensive mods on it.

I'll likely have to hold out on a superior helmet for the time being due to monetary limitations.  (I'm not that Limited, but if I want an outfit in les than 2 years..)
[snapback]1183299[/snapback]​

DP CAs can go for outrageous $...unless you can luck out. As evidenced here, the Rubies can look just as good as a CA with some effort.

If I were you, I'd buy and mod a Rubies and save your $ for a prop built lid later on.....

[/quote]
Excellent mod-job. :thumbsup

Did you remove the nose on that thing? It looks like it. I have followed many mods on the Rubies and that is always one of the things done to it, however, that just makes the helmet less accurate... all you have to do is to fill the seam-line and then it'll be perfect. Taking out the nose plug and you will get a too thin nose ridge and a too large nose area. Just thought I would pass that on. (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.)

I will definitely be interested in seeing an original sculpt. Please keep us updated on that project if you go forward with it. .)
[snapback]1183119[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah i did remove the nose piece then i notice it was a bit odd looking so i sulpted the face. So it would look alot worse if i had not done that, and thanks for the info i'll see how it looks on the next helmet ;)
and thank you for all your kind words toward my work so far :love

"Looks good man. What did you use for clear coat? :D"
I Went out and got "Novus polish set" and it works wonderful i sanded down my dome till it was as smooth as i could get it then i polished till it felt like my arm was going to fall off... :D

Heres a shot of the 2 helmets side by side, as soon as i finish this post i am starting work on the next rubies helmet it just got here:D

Comparison7.jpg

Hmm. Ok. I may go for a Rubies Supreme Helmet, and mod it. Still researching.

WHat are folks thoughts on the body suit?

And I really appreciate the help. You guys will make sure I DO get this done.

If you check out the link in my sig, you'll see my Rubies' mod-job. I had no experience going into it and I honestly think it looks decent. Under $500 including paint job. I'll probably end up having another go at it now that I've got a bit more experience. I already redid my way-too-long belt boxes, and they look great. One thing you have to be ready for is the obsession with constant improvements. You may THINK you won't become obsessed, but "you will be, you will be." Welcome to the wonderful world of Vadering.

Originally posted by SHalamar@Feb 13 2006, 09:44 PM
Hmm. Ok.  I may go for a Rubies Supreme Helmet, and mod it.  Still researching.

WHat are folks thoughts on the body suit?

And I really appreciate the help.  You guys will make sure I DO get this done.
[snapback]1183716[/snapback]​

I dont like the Body suit. Its one piece, which limits mobility, and it's warm as hell. I got the back cut out of mine and replaced with mesh. It is somewhat tolerabel like that but in it's original form it is very uncomfortable.

A GOOD body suit? Save up for a real leather one. You'll have to pay throught the nose for one, but it will be good.

I have a will-do-for-now suit in pleather. Sure, it means I'm essentially wrapped-up in car upholstery material, but at this juncture, I couldn't bring myself to go for a real leather $600-$800 suit. I got it off eBay for $200, a two-piece vinyl suit... ridiculously hot (I will mod the back with mesh like Darth Kahnt described above) and not entirely accurate. Still, the suit doesn't really show that much under the capes and civilians won't notice the inaccuracies anyway. As for the leather look - well, sure - but once you don a pair of real leather gloves and a leather belt, the difference in material is obvious.

dv_4.JPG

So... is it a GOOD option? Naah. I'd say it's an acceptable option. It's affordable and it looks the part, kinda sorta. Still, it's the only option if not choosing to invest in a leather outfit but still wanting to pass as a reasonable Vader facsimile. :)

Originally posted by SHalamar@Feb 14 2006, 02:00 AM
Not the rubies Suit.

I wanted peoples opinions/ideas on a GOOD body suit for the Vader.
[snapback]1183864[/snapback]​

Oops.

TMP makes a good leather suit. If you cant afford leather there are some pleather ones that come up in the Junkyard from time to time.

Originally posted by SHalamar@Feb 14 2006, 03:44 AM
There are two DP CA helmets on eBay atm + a really good fiberglass DP CA copy with extra dome on eBay too, just search for "Vader Helmet". .)

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Feb 13 2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah i did remove the nose piece then i notice it was a bit odd looking so i sulpted the face. So it would look alot worse if i had not done that, and thanks for the info i'll see how it looks on the next helmet ;)
[snapback]1183357[/snapback]​
Glad to help.

Another thing that could be nice was to do something about the center stripe on the dome. It is not supposed to be rounded, but squared, if you know what I mean, though, it is impossible to sand it down to add a window rubber band (ask if you don't know what I mean). I plan to mod my Rubies a step at a time. Really hope it'll get to look just as good as yours. :)

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Feb 14 2006, 09:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Feb 14 2006, 09:06 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SHalamar
@Feb 14 2006, 03:44 AM
There are two DP CA helmets on eBay atm + a really good fiberglass DP CA copy with extra dome on eBay too, just search for "Vader Helmet". .)
[snapback]1184087[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah. Wife looked at me funny when I mentioned modding a Rubies Helmet. She told me not to be stupid, and that if I was going to do this, I might as well get a good fiberglass helmet thats as accurate as I can afford.

As for the Bodysuit... Anyone know where I may be able to locate a pattern for one? Wife is willing to help me out with the outfit. She's a pretty darn good seamstress.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Feb 14 2006, 11:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Feb 14 2006, 11:10 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-GundamZeppelin
@Feb 13 2006, 08:44 PM
[snapback]1183357[/snapback]​
Glad to help.

Another thing that could be nice was to do something about the center stripe on the dome. It is not supposed to be rounded, but squared, if you know what I mean, though, it is impossible to sand it down to add a window rubber band (ask if you don't know what I mean). I plan to mod my Rubies a step at a time. Really hope it'll get to look just as good as yours. :)
[snapback]1184091[/snapback]​
[/b]

So your wife ENCOURAGED you to go ahead and get a fiberglass helmet? :eek
Way to go. :thumbsup :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back