Vader build WIP

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by poholio, Nov 14, 2011.

1. poholio

poholio Active Member

Hello,

This is my first post here at the RPF.
    I have been reworking a Rubies Vader lid for a bit now and I have scratch-built the other armor parts. Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

A question for anyone else who's scratch-built the armor: any advice/tips on how to make the pauldrons? I can't get the Sintra to bend in the correct curve, and I haven't found any extant item that fits the bill. Anyone have any luck in this area?

BTW: The stuff here is genius! Really brilliant work!
    Regards,
    Justin

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Re: Vader pauldron advice

Looks good to me, but I'm no Vader expert.

As for the shoulder bells you may have to cut the sintra so that when it bends it matches up and makes the curves. Seal the seam from the bottom with GOOP and then sand down and glazing putty the seam on top

3. omel

omel Well-Known Member

theres a pep file done by Fierfek that you might want to try...or Stealth's foam tutorials for something similar...have you checked out the mini vader scratch built by TK171? its really great reading:thumbsup

4. glarks

glarks New Member

Depends on the movie version you are after. Looks like yours is an ESB or ROTJ model. You can find some reference data at Chest Armour and they also have templates on the armour and pauldrons. Youv'e done a great job already, they look great.

5. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

That center ridge needs a LOT of work. Smooth down that ridgeline on it., widen the strip in the middle. I don't want to critique it too hard as you are scratch building, but there is a LOT of reference material out there to look at.

As to your question, why not try sculpting a form from clay or something to heat the sintra over?

6. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks for the input, guys.
    I went with your advice, Maelstrom, and cut out pieces of the Sintra and matched it up, like making a globe out of paper. I'll get pics posted once I have made more progress.

7. rkeChris

rkeChris New Member

How are the pauldrons coming? I'm about to try the same thing. Finished major mods of a rubies supreme helmet and dome to make an AnH version. Also ready to paint my sintra armor, but been perplexed about the pauldrons.

8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Hey, dont mean to derail the thread but can you show us some pics of your Rubies mods? :)

9. rkeChris

rkeChris New Member

Here you go. The mask has the base grey on, but not the black yet. Actually, the paint reveals I still have some more sanding to do. Mods are: added widows peak to dome - working on better defining ridge on dome (reinforced underneath so sanding wouldn't split the dome in two) - reworked eye sockets and added rear-mounted lenses - redid the bridge/nose, removed the 4th/lowest notch and made it an edge with goes between both eye sockets - removed the plastic nose insert - widened the nose and triangle wall on the right as you look at the mask - squared off the teeth and made the lower triangle smaller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still got a lot of work to do... and trying to figure out the pauldrons. But for someone with no prior experience/skill in this, I'm happy so far.

10. poholio

poholio Active Member

Not a whole lot of work accomplished over the winter on this, but I did play around with a pauldron idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea behind this came from some things I came across on the web concerning folding paper into spheres-thanks for the suggestion, Maelstrom.

I wanted to see how they were coming along, so I hit one with black.
    These are not the greatest, and by no means screen-accurate, but in keeping with the scratch-built ethos of this project, they are coming along nicely.

11. poholio

poholio Active Member

Here are a few pics of the pauldrons I managed to make, attached to the chest armor. Sorry about the quality; I took them with my phone. I will try to get some better ones on soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. omel

omel Well-Known Member

looking good so far bro! keep everyone posted with your progress.

13. poholio

poholio Active Member

Re: Vader build

Okay, so decided to renamed the thread, since I am now in full-blown production on the suit, with the weather being so, so fine.
    Last summer I started building the chest box out of 11/16 round trim and hobby plywood. Figured I would begin plotting out the bits and pieces.

[​IMG]
    One with the aluminum rods for a test. The rods will be finished with the plastic washers pictured. I am experimenting with various items to complete the rods- so far I got some copper tubing with an OD of 3/8". Inside diameter is perfect for the 1/4" aluminum rod. Anyone have any advice/experience with scratch building these?

[​IMG]
    Before I move on, I am debating casting the whole in resin, as I have seen others here do, but I have no experience with this. Seems safer than just gluing everything to the box, but has anyone had trouble with glued pieces, or know how the original was built?

14. poholio

poholio Active Member

Re: Vader build

While I am at it, a couple pics of the belt assembly, about 95% finished:

[​IMG]
    And lighted:
    [​IMG]
    OK, I sheepishly admit the buckle is acrylic- can't seem to find a suitable hunk of aluminum. Oh well...

15. JUSTINIAN

JUSTINIAN Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks really good.

16. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks!

17. poholio

poholio Active Member

Okay,
    So I took a 1/4" aluminum rod, some copper tubing with appropriateinside diameter, and a few plastic washers and threw together some rods for the chest box. Still need to be finished and painted. Let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Utterly fantastic work!

Rich

19. poholio

poholio Active Member

Well,
    Coming down to the rocker switches and I am curious what methods others may have employed in building them.

I started with a chunk of wood, but I am finding cutting the anngles a bit trickier than expected. Thoughts?

20. omel

omel Well-Known Member

made my budget version out of illustration board, using templates from...i believe Sith Training Temple..not too sure though.

21. poholio

poholio Active Member

Might have to try something like that- I also experimented with cutting out Sintra pieces as I saw on a thread by RPF member Volguus, only he used cardboad, since he ended up casting it. Since I don't know if I will cast this, I wanted something stronger. Cutting the Sintra so that the cuts don't end up at an angle other than 90 degrees is tough.

22. poholio

poholio Active Member

Re: Vader pauldron advice- Vader scratch build continues

I decided to stick with the Sintra for the rocker switches.
    It's pretty much a hollow shell built up with the Sintra. There's still a lot of sanding and refining to do, as it is a bondo-ed mess right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shots of the underside:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I read somewhere on here that pics come out very well on overcast days. Since that's was what a good portion of today was, I thought I'd try it. I liked the results.
    Here are a few, just for the heck of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about all for now.
    Cheers!

23. poholio

poholio Active Member

A little progress on the chest box:

Switches:

[​IMG]

A quick mock-up of the progress so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As this project moves along, it seems like the thread ought to be renamed to reflect the contents. Is there a way to do this?

24. Challenge64

Challenge64 New Member

Wow I'm impressed. Boy do I have a lot of work to do as I'm just starting this madness.

25. omel

omel Well-Known Member

go to your first post, hit edit and then hit advanced edit to change thread title.

26. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks! Now the title is more to the point.

27. poholio

poholio Active Member

Re: Vader build (formerly vader pauldron advice)

Been a while since I did any real work on this project-busy summer. I managed to get the chest box into rough shape. I gave it a test paint job to get an idea of how it will look. I still have to finish the wiring, install the speaker, finish the back plate, and rig the strapping.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. poholio

poholio Active Member

Anyone know of a good source for Chicago screws? I want to use them to attach the chest box straps and the straps for the cod as well. Should I look in a hardware store or acraft store?

29. omel

omel Well-Known Member

you can find those in either, actually found some in a bookstore as well ( in the crafts section though..hehe)

30. megaweapon

megaweapon Active Member

Very creative and skilled work! Definitely impressed. Looking forward to more progress.

31. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks for the info/remarks, guys.
    Now, glossy or matte black on the chest box? I am leaning toward matte- source pics appear to certainly be less shiny than Vader's helmet or chest armor. Plus, it is a bit more forgiving as far as imperfections go! Opinions?
    Thanks for looking.

32. skylu3Design

skylu3Design Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

33. poholio

poholio Active Member

Began to do some work on the sound fx set up in the chest box. I took an old, cheap mini-stereo thingy for MP3 players and tore out the good stuff-speakers and the board. Nice, because it has the jack and battery leads all built in then. The jack cord and battery leads will be secured behind one of the chest box straps and the battery and MP3 player will be placed in pouches worn under the robe. Thanks member Volguus for that idea!

[​IMG]

In a display of costuming ADHD I began to work on the cod. The base is a foam camping mat, which will be glued to a piece of cardboard to keep it somewhat rigid.

[​IMG]

I attached nylon web straps to it using rivets. I used washers on the exterior face and pieces of sintra on the back to keep it sturdy.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the fake leather being glued down.

[​IMG]

And an in-progress shot with the leather on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although you can't see it here, the shoe goo I used to adhere the leather to the foam must not have spread in some areas during application on the foam and as a result there are spots visible om the fake leather, like a discoloration or a loss of sheen. If it continues to bug me, it may be back to square one. I want to wait and see how much of the fake leather I have left after I start the body suit- I don't feel like having to go find more!

That's all for now. As always, comments/critiques welcome.

34. poholio

poholio Active Member

There are some considerable wrinkles on the cod that I am not happy with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am working on smoothing it out now. IMO it doen't have to be pristine- based on some shots from the OT it was pretty banged up!

Comments/critiques welcome. Thanks for looking!

35. spolen23

spolen23 New Member

Great Work!!

36. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks!

37. oldskool

oldskool New Member

That's a nifty (and cost-effective) solution for the cod piece. I might have to look into that ;)

38. pgadsby

pgadsby New Member

Kick butt build so far!

39. poholio

poholio Active Member

Some progress on the soft parts.
    the shirt is almost finished- just need to add Velcro straps to the wrists and back slit and also hem the wrists, waist, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The patterns and such were taken from the Sith Training Temple and things I found here.
    The Homer pants really add to it.

Cheers!

40. omel

omel Well-Known Member

looking great bro, i'm also waiting on my soft parts to be delivered, hoping it looks as good as yours...and yep...the Homer pants takes the cake...lol

41. poholio

poholio Active Member

No pic updates- I am in a mad dash at this point to finish up for next week. Finishing the pants tonight- just a few tweaks to the seam- and then onto the cloak and surcoat. After those, there are just a few other odds and ends to clean up. I prototpyed the LEDs on a breadboard and now I just need to transfer it to a circuit board.

So, anyone who has made a cape/cloak have any pointers?

Thanks!

42. poholio

poholio Active Member

A brief trial of the parts finished so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.

43. omel

omel Well-Known Member

color me envious...hehehe....its coming along real nice bro(y)thumbsup...my softs parts were a disaster:thumbsdown gonna have to find a new seamstress...yours is great!

44. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks, Omel.
    I had a ton of help from my wife on the sewing- I am rather pathetic at it!

45. poholio

poholio Active Member

Well, after a rather long hiatus I was able to finish the cape to an acceptable degree. The gloves I had attempted to sew myself were a disaster, so these gloves are store-bought for now. Turned out pretty good. DSCN4444.jpg

Sym-Cha and omel like this.
  46. This looks fantastic. Great work!

47. poholio

poholio Active Member

Thanks!

48. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

For a mostly custom parts build ... this is quite impressive indeed :)

Chaim