Vacuum Forming question(s)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SuperNovaSonya

For those of you who vacuum form your costumes or props, can I ask you guys where your purchase your plastic sheets and how much they run for? Please and thank you!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Judge Spartan

Sr Member
I order my plastics from Midland Plastics. They sell in 4'x8' sheets, I don't remember how much it costs as I have not ordered in a long time. They are very informative and helpful. They are located in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa but they do ship, I believe. Check out their website, they're a good company..

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man, if you are in Las Vegas, there should be a local plastics dealer in town. That would mean you could just pick up sheets as needed. Do a quick google search and you should find one near you. It can cost an arm and a leg to ship the large sheets. Let them pay that and just pick up your sheets from them. Good Luck!

SuperNovaSonya

Thanks guys :) I checked Lowe's, Home Depot and Michael's today with no luck. I'll try searching up some plastic warehouses here, I'm sure we have a few but if not I'll check out Midland Plastics and even ebay if I have to. Is there any specific specs I should know about what kind of sheets to get?

SuperNovaSonya

What are the name of the sheets that I should be asking for? All the ones in my area are selling something called polycarbonate and acrylic sheets?

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like to use ABS or HIPS in my machine. Start with thinner pieces to get the hang of your machine and then work up to thicker pieces to see what your machine will pull and still give good detail. It will take a number of test pulls to fine tune your machine and get good pulls everytime. Any pic of your setup?

SuperNovaSonya

10884306_774315152621592_1555307360_o.jpg 10942167_774315349288239_1030949489_n.jpg 10936366_774314962621611_242237664_o.jpg

I bought a bamboo plate carrying tray from walmart for about $15 for the box.
I also got some thin plexiglas from Hobby Lobby on sale and I'm going to try to vacuum form that to see if it works.
I have another question, if it works, since this plexiglass is a bit on the thin side, what do you guys reccomen using to reinforce it? My boyfriend has some smooth cast but its not nearly enough to reinforce 2 whole Halo Spartan suites so we were thinking of trying Flex Seal spray, the as seen on tv one.

Attachments

• 10935728_774314909288283_1772043937_o.jpg
    10935728_774314909288283_1772043937_o.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 23