Vacuum Formin' Stuff

dbsamurai

So I made a new spartan suit:
WGW3qgdl.jpg

(pretty sure it's ok to post that since it's been 2 months since they were supposed to announce winners for the chipotle and iheartradio costume contests and never did...)

And to go with this new suit there's a lot of work that needs to be done. In fact, barring the hard plates of the armor itself, pretty much everything needs to be redone, so that's gonna require sewing a custom undersuit.

And, because armor is ball meltingly hot the plan is to sew the undersuit in such a way that it's also a coldsuit. The plan to that end is to make a "padded" muscle suit where the "pads" are actually vacuum formed ice packs that can be slipped in and out, to make up for my lack of a superhuman physique.

In addition to all that, I've made some helmets:
YLCMZUll.jpg

(there are more, these are just the ones I have on me atm)

For myself and friends, that need visors. Which, considering the last time I tried making a visor by hand it turned out like this:
SJ80Bkul.jpg

Means I will be vacuum forming those too. Trouble is, the vacuum former I have access to is way overspecced for the job it's supposed to do, and crushes anything more maleable than hard plaster or wood. So that's gonna take some inventiveness.

While I debated making a bondo pattern using the existing visors I have, the cost has been something that's stopped me. Also, though plaster is dirt cheap, I don't know how I'd get it off the existing patterns I have, and I don't want to have to make a new visor for the several copies I'll require, namely because:

The next step is to take this idea from the old helmets:
srIvzXpl.jpg

And make it actually work this time. So I'm gonna need some duplicates for the inevitable screw ups from airbrushing mistakes and such because my airbrush is...well...crap.

Well, have I had a day for y'all.

I got all the patterns ready to vacuum form for the visors and such and then this morning I came downstairs to this:
yT1j0Tkl.jpg

kwZVudFl.jpg

2qoutjjl.jpg

The patterns themselves were dust. Thanks to the dog.

Needless to say I was not happy and this will probably be setting me back a bit. Still super peeved. Good news is that the new laser is almost up and running so hopefully by the time I get some pulls I'll be able to engrave details on them!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back