Vacuum Formers, I need a little advice

Prince NEO

Sr Member
Hey, so my father decided as a graduation present he would help me make a Vacuum Forming table like this:

Ralis Kahn's Vacuum Form Table Plans

The only problem is we can't afford the same Vacuum this guy used.

Does anyone know if a Allaround WET & DRY 7.0 AMPS, 120v, 60hz Shop-Vac is powerful enough to use or if I have to blow $120, in which case I might as well not bother. I think the horsepower is like 1.1

I have a Thurston James version vac table and I've been using a similar 3hp shop-vac with great results. Pulling 1/8" thick 24"x24" abs with no problems. Just make sure you get a good seal around the edges. It should get you off to a good start and you can upgrade later.

Though I'm sure someone will post that you absolutely need a 2stage vac to even try.:lol

What you need depends on what you want to do.

I made a version of those plans you are using, and the shop vac I use is 5 hp. I usually pull only a couple of inches in depth, over only about an 8x10 inch area, using abs sheet under 1/16", and I wouldn't want less than 5 hp.

The biggest problem with that design is that the plastic does not get heated evenly, and gets heated only in a relatively small area. But it's okay for me, because I only need to make small pieces.

If that's the design you're going to use, I recommend nothing less than 3 hp - get as much pull for your buck as you can, because the heating isn't very efficient.

Have fun and good luck with your project.

RRR

Thanks, I wanted to be able to make pulls of the halo armor I make and stuff like that, so I would guess that the vacuum I have isn't strong enough and that I probably couldn't use that heater.

The things I would want to pull would be at least an inch thick and at the largest 2ft x 2ft and 10 inches thick.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back