Vacuforming?

Azurial

I am about start my venture into building a Vacuformer and was curious to know what kind of plastic should be used and about how much will a sheet cost.

Vacforming will depend on the type of machine you have and its vacuum and heating power. Most homebuilt machines using a standard shop vac are capable of pulling material up to .1" but passing .125" you start to lose a lot of definition.

I have this guy, that I made from heating elements out of an old toaster oven. Vacuum is supplied by a 2hp shop vac. I've done PET plastic and styrene with it up to .1" and its done pretty well for such a little budget former.

4695930485_427f7bacf7_b.jpg

Styrene, .1"
6016571514_d2d45db42b_b.jpg

PET, .118"
5991567217_67d7a18d9a_b.jpg

With bigger machines, you can pull acrylic, ABS, kydex, as well as thicker materials. I just finished a larger vacformer with a dedicated pump and tank, and hopefully I'll be able to step up to those materials with this beast.

7162378902_357a4a3039_b.jpg

Ugh, Volpin, just gotta say, that beast of yours is pure genius...

@Azurial, sorry for being off topic, just had to get that out there :p Trying to make my own Vacuum former here though. So good luck :)

Thanks alot. Another question I had was whether or not .06 or .05 plexiglass was was okay to put through since its pretty cheap around here.

I think that would probably work. As long as it's Plexiglass/Acrylic, I can't speak for Lexan/Polycarbonate. Just make sure you heat it evenly until you can see it sag, then go for it.

I think that would probably work. As long as it's Plexiglass/Acrylic, I can't speak for Lexan/Polycarbonate. Just make sure you heat it evenly until you can see it sag, then go for it.

Plexiglass/Lexan/polycarbonate/acrylic - they all have a tendency to absorb moisture from the air. These plastics must be dry or boiling will occur before the sheet is ready to form. Most shops use a drying oven which cycles hot air over the plastic and the moisture is absorbed by desiccant.

Styrene in the .060" range is a good plastic to start with - cheap and no boiling. Once you're comfortable with that, move up to ABS (not as cheap and they do absorb moisture over time, but much more durable), and if clear plastics need to be formed, PETG is much easier to work with than Acrylics or Polycarbonates.

A friend and I tried to vacuform giant 4x6 foot sheets of clear Lexan a few years ago and little bubbles appeared in the material. This effect was lessened with less heating.

Was this from absorbing moisture and boiling?

Nick

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back