V for Vendetta MASK project

Marco Felth

Hello, guys

First of all, this is my very first post and project, so I am a total noob.
I 3d printed a V mask I sculpted myself using Maya and movie frames as reference. But, in the end the printed mask happened to be too narrow on the sides. I mean, it should be broader so it can fit in my head. It is not wide enough.
I intend to use this mask, once polished and smooth, to make a silicon mold.
It was printed in PVC, how can I somehow heat it and then warp it?

Thank you
DSC_0202.JPGDSC_0203.JPGDSC_0206.JPG

ahoudini

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It looks great! I would print a simple curved shape, like a 1 inch "slice" of the mask and work with a heat gun to get a feel for the material. You need a proper respirator, though, as PVC gives off toxic fumes when heated. Pressing it over a wider wooden form when heated might help. Changing the 3D model and reprinting is not a better idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naveed2331

According to the Internet, you should be able to reshape pvc with a heat gun and a form of some sort. I'd suggest a mannequin head or, if you're feeling really ambitious, a mold of your own head. I'd heat it from the inside only.

I don't mean to be negative about this but, considering the high cost of the materials involved in rapid prototyping and the fact you can buy a screen-accurate replica on ebay for $3.89, why did you choose a Guy Fawkes mask as your first project?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Marco Felth

Thank you for your ideas and kind words. I do not own a heat gun, a simple hair dryer could do?
Ahoudini: Printing one of this costs 55 euros, if I can fix it on my own, it would be better.
Naveed: I do not like the masks you find on ebay, I want a more screen accurate mask :)

Lunajammer

I haven't worked with PVC, but for other plastics and resin I've had success using very hot water (just under boiling) in a large pan for getting a broad, even heat before bending. Dip for short moments increasing to longer moments until you get a good feel for the time you need for careful bending. I like heat guns too, but sometimes I'm not so good at managing hot spots.

Naveed2331

Thank you for your ideas and kind words. I do not own a heat gun, a simple hair dryer could do?
Ahoudini: Printing one of this costs 55 euros, if I can fix it on my own, it would be better.
Naveed: I do not like the masks you find on ebay, I want a more screen accurate mask :)
I'd say the hair dryer is a good place to start. I have used both an oven set to 175F (79C or gas mark uhh... to low to measure) and a pot of boiling water to straighten plastic d&d miniatures. I'm hesitant to suggest these because I don't know if either of these will cause your fine details to get too plastic and lose their form. I wish you good luck though

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Marco Felth

Well, the hair dryer did work. Afterwards I sanded it a little bit and tomorrow I will finish smoothing it out.
Next step is getting the silicone for slush molding, which I've never done before.
Can you recommend me any special silicone and resin?
Thank you, guys

IMG-20161031-WA0008.jpg

cavx

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, the hair dryer did work. Afterwards I sanded it a little bit and tomorrow I will finish smoothing it out.
Next step is getting the silicone for slush molding, which I've never done before.
Can you recommend me any special silicone and resin?
Thank you, guys

View attachment 678953
Good job.

Platinum Silicone are considered the best.

Do you want the mask to be rigid or flexible?

Marco Felth

Hello, pals!

After a whole year I am returning to this project. The reason why I stopped is that I wasn't 100% ok with my sculpt. So I retouched it and now I am printing it again. This week should be fully printed. I am very sorry for this very long wait.
For the moment, I show you a simulation of what it should look like. Hope you like it :)

SIMLULACION 01.jpg

Last edited:

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Just saw this post. The sculpt looks good. Regarding the width issue, then you should be able to widen a 3D model without affecting the height and depth at all. That's what makes 3D models so great - that you can do all sorts of shape fixes before printing. Are you printing it yourself or are you having a company print it for you?

I know you are making your own, but if you want exact screen accurate in the future you should contact Sskunky of CFO (Cast From Original). Unsure whether he still sells them, but he offered the closest I've seen.

Marco Felth

Yeah, 3d is great. I was able to make the changes in a couple of hours. I am printing it at a stationery shop.

I wish I could have had a Sskunky's mask. But I was unable to find any of his masks and I missed all the runs. But, since I am so into my mask now, I am excited about this little project.