V for Vendetta Jukebox

userd1402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the 2006 movie “V for Vendetta”, self-proclaimed terrorist ‘V’ (Hugo Weaving) lived in a secret catacomb lair under London. The set designers did a fantastic job filling his underground realm with antique furniture, a grand piano and a large collection of 'looted' classical art.
V also had a vintage American jukebox and although I usually only collect props from Blade Runner when I first saw the movie I swore that I would have one like it, one day. More than a decade later and I finally have it!

It's a 1959 Wurlitzer 2300. The first stereo Wurlitzer jukebox. It holds fifty, seven-inch, 45rpm vinyl singles so a total of 100 songs to play if you happen to also like the B-sides. 'V's jukebox is actually the 2310 which holds 80 singles and has an extra set of buttons on the front panel but I have not come across this model for sale in all my searches. Funnily enough, in the movie ‘V’ claims his jukebox has over 800 songs on it. I guess the movie producers thought he would need a wider library of music for his underground exile.

39F25B36-90B9-4EA0-A757-39B063BC674D.jpeg

B7B002E6-DFA5-4766-A6EA-1BEFD4C08C78.jpeg

C2AC5C51-2109-43D7-97CD-6192A68D5CE8.jpeg

3FACBBB0-0D9D-46A1-910B-267E6D387DCC.jpeg

071896FB-3A16-40E0-B12E-13CCDE183ECC.jpeg

85686F8E-167A-4FD7-817A-85254BF3D664.jpeg

F799E36F-3DFB-44CB-9A50-0A216551145D.jpeg

2018-04-03 16.40.22.jpg

Last edited:
That is very cool! Are you going to load it with anything or just keep the records that are already in there? Also, is it working?

Thanks Victor, it was non-functional when I found it but I managed to persuade my wife that it was a classic that would appreciate in value over time as well as being something that we can actually use so we found a guy to take it on as a project and now, six months later it's fully restored, fully functional and filled with my vintage R&B collection. I have also been 'schooled' in maintenance and servicing so I should be able to maintain her in good condition. The only non-standard thing is that the coin mechanism has been bypassed so it operates on 'free-play'. These mechanisms are unreliable anyway so I'm quite happy with that.

2018-04-04 08.44.11.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing my research I found that in series 10 of Bones. Brennan and Booth have a Wurlitzer 2300 in their new home.
My wife watched the series and noticed it in the background, illuminated but never used.
You can tell it's stereo, in the pictures of the studio set below, by the two round 'speaker shadows' on the front that this is the 2300S (for stereo) and V's is the 2310 with larger capacity which would also have been stereo.

Bones-01.jpg

Bones-02.jpg

Bones-03.jpg

Bones-04.jpg

Bones-05.jpg

Last edited:
Nice that you were able to get it restored, with some maintenance it should last a long time I think. Definitely worth the repair costs if you ask me :) Interesting that you found them in other media as well, maybe they are hiding in more movies/shows.

Was V filmed in the uk ? Could be the same Wurlitzer as the prisoner one, in storage for a few decades at some prop house ??
I mean, that’s not a common jukebox in the uk ….

Lots of central London exteriors were used but also a fair few in Berlin exteriors and Studio Babelsberg, Potsdam, Germany Which probably accounts for a lot of the interiors so difficult to pin down where the underground lair was filmed. I think the lair would have been a stage at a studio myself. I will continue to look into it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back