V for Vendetta buckle

Darth Mule

Sr Member
So some new progress made today. Belt is nearly finished, I just have to revisit the dagger frogs and figure out a closure. Here's my newly cast buckle. Turns out pewter is both fun and easy to work with. Who knew? Melt it on the stove. Anyway, I carved this out of balsa, sanded, shellacced, negative cast in silicone, recast in Pewter. Need to do the cleaning up still, but here's what I have so far. The squares are an inch each, so you can see it's a bit larger than the one Russrep was offering, which IMO was wayyyyyyy too small. This one will accept a 2.5" belt. Tho the V belt is shaped, so it's actually thicker everywhere else. Mine is 3.5 around the waist and 2.5 where it goes thru the buckle.

Looks pretty good so far, as for working in pewter isn' t it a pleasant surprise finding out that with a good mold that can handle the heat that it's fairly easy to handle?
I find that you have to be quick to pour though.
Looking forward to seeing more.

<div class='quotetop'>(Shadow Duchess @ Aug 21 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1304457[/snapback]</div>
Looks pretty good so far, as for working in pewter isn' t it a pleasant surprise finding out that with a good mold that can handle the heat that it's fairly easy to handle?
I find that you have to be quick to pour though.
Looking forward to seeing more.
[/b]

Yes, I was hesitant to believe it was that easy. I talked to Toby (sithcamaro) about it because he has done the pewter casting a fair bit, and I thought he was just overeggagerating when he said you could melt it on the stove. He wasn't. You do have to pour pretty quickly tho.

Sorry no WIP pics. It's really not much different than resin casting with the exception of melting the casting materials over a stove instead of a two-part plastic.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back