USS Reliant, NCC-1864..

Bryancd

Master Member
OK, just finished a quick build of the R2 Reliant with their aztec decals. Just hit the whole ship with a clear coat matt finish top protect the decals and to tone down the sheen. Came out pretty good, it's a bit of a challenging kit in terms of fit. It's kind of a Monet, looks great from a few feet away but up close it's a bit of a mess! The Aztec decals are very good, identical to the ones I used on the big Enterprise model I made. I didn't go into nearly the same level of paint work like I did on the big E, I'm saving that for when Polar Lights releases the 1/350 TOS Enterprise. That's my next project for the fall, when I think the kit is expected. Until then, ""...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG_thumb.png
    IMG_0374.JPG_thumb.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 502
Nice! I myself have a Reliant I bought. I can't take credit for the painting and whatnot, because when I bought it, it was originally assembled and painted, it being a part of a ST fan's collection that he was trying to free some space up on. I can't take any pictures of it, because I can't take the compliments on the work as I didn't work on it and I hate taking credit for someone else's work.

Brilliant! Is that just the base kit?

Yep, I didn't get any of the better known after market parts from places like DLM. It is the retooled PL/R2 kit but far from perfect. It's a pretty well engineered kit, not quite on par with the 1/350 Refit which I felt came together very easily.

OK, just finished a quick build of the R2 Reliant with their aztec decals. Just hit the whole ship with a clear coat matt finish top protect the decals and to tone down the sheen. Came out pretty good, it's a bit of a challenging kit in terms of fit. It's kind of a Monet, looks great from a few feet away but up close it's a bit of a mess! The Aztec decals are very good, identical to the ones I used on the big Enterprise model I made. I didn't go into nearly the same level of paint work like I did on the big E, I'm saving that for when Polar Lights releases the 1/350 TOS Enterprise. That's my next project for the fall, when I think the kit is expected. Until then, ""...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

Great build! Just got my kit in the mail. I'm pumped for this thing. A few minutes of the Mutara Nebula battle was my first childhood exposure to ST so the Reliant has a special place in my heart. Actually, I largely attribute my love for space craft to that scene!

Hope mine looks half as good as yours!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back