USS Normandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
Guys who has the goods here? I need a good 3 view or better of the ship to make two scratch builds of this ship. One for me. ;) and one for some lucky guy who buys it.

Say 36 inches or so long. Maybe a bit bigger. And no I don't plan to make kits.

I got a pretty good model off Sci Fi Meshes but I can use all the help I can get for reference.

This won't get started until i finish Voyager but it's in the planning stages.

Thanks guys,

Steve

P.S. Yes I have the game. Love it.

Steve,

I have the Dark Horse replica of the Alliance SSV Normandy SR2 but it's pretty tiny. I can probably post some pics of that if it'll help you, but I can't swear to the accuracy of this little thing.

PM me if so as I'm not great about following up on the threads regularly.

Tib

Thanks Tib I got as it turns out a great CGI model I can run renders from in my Lightwave 10 program. I do CGI too so it helps.

I'm surprised there's not more interest in this ship. At least here. I know other gaming forums and game groups will jump at it.

Steve

You already stated there would be no kit, so, other than watching the progress, if posted, what else can we say?

I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series and the science fiction elements within it (yeah, I hated the ending along with a large percentage of the fans too...) I jumped on the Dark Horse replica. Unfortunately it's just a bit smaller than I'd have preferred and it feels like something isn't quite right about it. Still worth having though.

Kits are a pain in the rear. If you've watched my 50 part series on the 66 inch Enterprise kits I made over the last year you'd know why.

So these will be built, lighted and go for a stiff price. I got to be honest. As many of you know my customer builds on anything in the 30 inch range go for 1200 up. So I figure it's best to clear the air straight up front on this so no one get their knickers in a twist. ;)

If posted? I guess you're not familiar with my work.

http://www.therpf.com/f10/studio-half-scale-tos-enterprise-scratch-build-98400/

Here's one of many build threads I have on this forum. ;)

Steve

I'm surprised there's not more interest in this ship. At least here. I know other gaming forums and game groups will jump at it.

Steve

There have been a few build threads on here.
IIRC someone had one printed and copies up for sale. (I may be mistaken on the sale part)

Printing. now there's thought. I do everything by hand and a lathe-mill. However I'm not apposed to printing this one. Never done it before. Question is who do i get to do it for me.

I have the wire frame I can convert to CAD. But then again it takes some of the fun out of it and I can't really take the same credit I always do for hand crafting a model. Hmmm...

I going for a larger size and vacuum formed on the hull. I think. I'm done with epoxy.

It's better for lighting and cutting out the windows. But not so good to get the panel line scribing. Not unless I reverse pull the hull. which is a possibility. I'm looking into all this now bit by bit.

I still have Voyager to finish and a couple of customer builds to go. but i like to plan ahead and get ideas and methods sorted out in my head so when it comes time I can move fast.

You guys know me I like to get it done now rather then later. ;)

He's dome a good job from what I can see. But the ship needs to be bigger.

anyone know the size of this ship so I can get a scale? It looks like it will be 30 inches at this point for my model. I'm not sure what scale this makes it.

Hey Lou! Is it possible to cut vinyl for this so I can so the hull plating that way?
Kinda of Azteking that stays on the hull?

thanks guys for the help and interest!

steve

Thanks Wes and I appreciate the PM. And the offer. I have lots of detail from the CGI model. I should be able to get everything I need off the model. It would help to have your model but I'd like to see you build that damaged version you spoke of. ;)

I also have the game. In fact I just got through having my first battle with the Collectors last night. Hard round.

Thanks again so much Wes for helping!

Steve

Someone was printing a Mass Relay some time ago, looked to be progressing pretty well. Not seen or heard further in some time though. I look forward to seeing your results Steve. My experience with vacuum-formed has been pretty negative, but probably more a result of my lack of skill vs. any inherant problem with the media.

Tib

Tib that's the problem a lot of times. People for various reasons don't follow through. thus the reason I suspect that "Talisen" posted "If posted". He don't know me very well do he? ;)

But when I want a model myself I do it. You all know that. I love the darn thing. Such a simple designed yet beautiful.

Steve

Are these any good Steve? I've had them a while, I can't remember where they came from...

bBbts.jpg

sURXe.jpg

bq23q.jpg

aRmpb.jpg

I remember those from the conceptships site or some similar site. I went there to look for them today because I remember the ship being featured on there once but couldn't find any evidence of it on there when I searched.

Been researching this model and looking into having the hull only CNC cut to save time.

I've had quite a few emails about the model from people who will want one.

Turns out and old friend of mine is in the CNC business and he might take it on on spec. Which simply means get now and pay later. We'll see. Money is tight here until I can move out of crazy LA.

Just want to let you guys know this is not dead and I very much plan to make her.

Steve

If you did the Hull on a lathe could you get two of them in one shot? get the over all shape in the side view Then bandsaw the plan view outline and split it down the middle?
Mayabe do the same for the bottom sections? I have not looked a the renders in the thread to check but that was the first thing that popped in my head whe you said you would make two and had a lathe.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back