USS Cygnus 1/700 - The Black Hole

Started prepping some of the smaller armature parts. Wanted to make them hazy but transparent so the lighting is diffused. I used Rustoleum Frosted Glass for this which worked pretty well.

View attachment 1462618

View attachment 1462619

I was really scratching my head on how to paint these complex parts. I was contemplating spraying from a can but was concerned that I would deposit too much paint and some areas are really tricky to access. My son suggested using some sort of dye so we ended up doing with Rit fabric dye. You have to heat up the dye to about 90 celsius and then immerse for 5-10 mins, which worked great. The parts were nicely colored and there was no accumulation of paint. The dye is absorbed into the material so all the details are preserved. Very happy with how that worked out.

View attachment 1462620

View attachment 1462621

View attachment 1462622

View attachment 1462623

Started prepping some of the smaller armature parts. Wanted to make them hazy but transparent so the lighting is diffused. I used Rustoleum Frosted Glass for this which worked pretty well.

View attachment 1462618

View attachment 1462619

I was really scratching my head on how to paint these complex parts. I was contemplating spraying from a can but was concerned that I would deposit too much paint and some areas are really tricky to access. My son suggested using some sort of dye so we ended up doing with Rit fabric dye. You have to heat up the dye to about 90 celsius and then immerse for 5-10 mins, which worked great. The parts were nicely colored and there was no accumulation of paint. The dye is absorbed into the material so all the details are preserved. Very happy with how that worked out.

View attachment 1462620

View attachment 1462621

View attachment 1462622

View attachment 1462623

View attachment 1462624
Great idea! I assume the material is PLA? Want to give it a go myself.

Been watching your thread szarchie. The ships of The Black Hole & Event Horizon are incredibly complex designs both requiring unique structural support. I am amazed at the external skeleton of the lattice work of USS Cygnus in particular. The 5 ft. scale you have chosen is excellent to enable doing justice to display this space ship‘s detail. Congratulations! Now back to viewing this movie again.

Been a while. Life stuff getting in the way of building models!
Started to make some progress on the stern section. Mostly adding the ship parts to the bottom of the stern armature and checking the wiring and fiber optics along the way. Amazing how the iconic shape comes together so quickly once parts are added!

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

I heard they made two…and the second was damaged as well.

A good second project might be to make an asterisk shaped space station with each Cygnus core an arm. No engines except vertically oriented around a new build hub with a very tall new-build central tower above…space elevator beneath and added onto from the ground up…explaining its truss design in universe at least. As a station…it would be littered with dishes.

I think Palamino was a common ship as Cygnus had an immersive dock ready made.

I can see Cygnus as an incomplete station segment pressed into service as a flying palace. No dishes…to run silent

Last edited:
Excellent. Tedious work with your truss skeleton on the outside, but the result is outstanding. Lighting cleverly installed behind opaque plexiglas fuselage to give it that fluorescent light look. You do the original designer the justice he deserves with the quality of the build.

Been a bit slow on this lately. My son is back in college so its taken a bit of a hiatus. But some small progress being made on attaching the stern section to the main armature. There is a ton of test fitting needed on this model. I don't know how many times we had something "figured out" only to find that we didn't anticipate something else. But its all part of the fun in building this model

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Your construction work is carefully planned as it must be. Far beyond my skill set due to the addition of complex electronics, five foot long delicate truss work 360, bits and pieces along every inch, invention of dying vs. painting. Very, very challenging. Even early on, one can see that it was going to be worth the labor. What a great build. Another tribute to those that designed the movie original.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back