USS Cygnus 1/700 - The Black Hole

szarchie

I started this build thread over at Studioscale Modelers but it seems a little quiet there. I hope it's Ok to post it here too.

I have been a fan of the USS Cygnus from Disney's The Black Hole since it was released back in 1979. Showing how old I am now!

The MPC kit that was released left a lot to be desired and it wasn't until the advent of 3D printing that technology could do justice to the design. Thankfully, someone far more capable than me created a stunning 3D model and offered the parts, via Shapeways, to build the Cygnus at 1/700 scale. This roughly translates to a 5ft replica when complete.

My son and I are going to be building the Cygnus and I hope to chronicle the journey here. We decided we wanted to try lighting the model as it's really meant to be displayed fully lit.

First up is putting the laser-cut acrylic armature together. The various parts were sent to Pololu to be cut and I can highly recommend their work. We are using epoxy adhesive to make sure the armature is as strong as possible.

IMG-4009.jpg

IMG-4008.jpg

IMG-4010.jpg

IMG-4011.jpg

I enjoyed the movie (need to watch it again!) and I’m sure I’ll enjoy this build.

And I think those finger joints with epoxy should hold very well, unless you plan to actually test it at the event horizon...

I was just thinking the other day what a beautiful model this would be, all lit up and shining. But wow, what you're doing is so far out of my wheelhouse, it's on a different boat altogether.

I look forward to following your progress.

I love the challenge of building a faithful replica of the Cygnus due to its intricacy. All those girders, tubes, and hollow sections makes it an irresistible subject for 3D printing. The ship itself is a ridiculous design, but so are most sci-fi vehicles TBH. Saw the movie in the theaters as a teenager. I remember it being billed as "Disney's answer to Star Wars!" I guess they learned the real answer to Star Wars was a $4 billion dollar check to George! :lol:

Good luck on the build! I'll be watching.

Lots and lots of test fitting on this project. Just when I think I have something figured out I realize later that it's not going to work and I have to rethink it. No real instructions with this one so lots of trial and error. In my case, more error than trial....

Some progress on the armature and figuring out how to connect the stern. Also some lighting progress.

IMG-4056.jpg

IMG-4057.jpg

IMG-4104.jpg

IMG-4060.jpg

If you haven't already make sure to check the length and fit of the front armature section to the printed pieces. I think Primitive Dave disappeared before finalizing that section and as I recall it had to be shortened to fit correctly.

If you haven't already make sure to check the length and fit of the front armature section to the printed pieces. I think Primitive Dave disappeared before finalizing that section and as I recall it had to be shortened to fit correctly.
Thanks, Jeff, I will keep an eye out for that. I remember reading something about it in the original thread but not there yet. May need some pointers when I get to it.

Working on attaching the Center, Bow, and Stern armature parts. Lots of test fitting......

I did make a temporary stand for the armature to elevate it off the bench, which makes working on the model much easier. Also started running the lights through the armature to see how that would work and look.

It's definitely fun to temporarily add the parts and see the classic shape of the Cygnus start to come together.

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back