Using Scotchlite to simulate Trek model window lighting

E Williams

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just picked up a Reliant kit, and want to try my hand at lighting it. Seeing as how this is will be my first attempt at lighting a model (though not my first time with electronics by far), I think I'll avoid the fiberoptics necessary to do the windows, and instead only do major light sources- shuttle bays, sensor dome, engines, running lights, etc.

A while back I saw a website with pictures and info about a Trek model (may have been a E-D or even a Reliant) on which the builder used Scotchlite to simulate internal window lights... From what I remember, the effect looked REALLY good, and I figure that this would work well with my "basic" lighting.
icon_smile.gif

I've looked and looked but can't find the page- can anyone help me out? Or if any of you guys have tips/suggestions for using scotchlite that would be great!

Ethan

I used Scotchlite on my Enterprise-A for the warp engine grilles and the main deflector. It make a really cool effect when photographed. I'm going to post pics when I get home..

certainly on culttvman or starshipmodeler.
A quick Google for Enterprise +scotchlite +model should yield results.

Pics I've seen look real nice, but only using flash photography.
Fiber isn't hard, you should give it a try, particularly if you are already lighting the rest.
icon_smile.gif

The problem with using scotchlite or even reflective tape is that it really only looks good when you're hitting it with a light from certain angles (taking a picture of it). Its up to you but it is not my favorite way to light up a model. the tried and true wiring electronics
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
rayra wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
certainly on culttvman or starshipmodeler.
A quick Google for Enterprise +scotchlite +model should yield results.

Pics I've seen look real nice, but only using flash photography.
Fiber isn't hard, you should give it a try, particularly if you are already lighting the rest.
icon_smile.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I must have tried 15 variations of that search last night, with no dice :/ And I could have sworn I originally saw it on Culttvman, but I haven't seen any mention of scotchlite.

I understand the basic concept of using fiber-optics, and I suppose using them for square windows ends up close enough... but how would you do rectangular windows? Multiple fibers next to each other?

For the (presumably) 1/1400 scale, I'd use a microdrill to open them up, a fine blade or needle file to square the corners, and would consider filling them with white glue, or testors clear canopy cement. Then with more of the same glue on the inner side, embed / attach the fiber end.

I've never seen clear plastic sprue of those dimensions, though it would probably be possible to cut strips from a thicker clear sheet, then use them end-on to create the windows.

If you wanted to go crazy about it you could drill all the holes, square them up, make a mold of it and then get some clear resin and build it like the light car dashboards. That would be a pretty cool way, but it would be a ton of work - I'd have to REALLY like that model to go through that kind of trouble
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Jedi Dade wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
If you wanted to go crazy about it you could drill all the holes, square them up, make a mold of it and then get some clear resin and build it like the light car dashboards. That would be a pretty cool way, but it would be a ton of work - I'd have to REALLY like that model to go through that kind of trouble
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

You're insane!!
icon_lol.gif

When drilling the tiny holes... Have you guys had better results using a pin vise and doing it by hand, or with a flexshaft (or cordless dremel)?

BTW, the Reliant's scale is 1/650 (this is the AMT/Ertl kit)- 20" long when completed.

Ethan

SMACKS SELF ON HEAD!!!

[charlie brown yell]

long string of expletives the baloney 'profanity filter' would turn into milquetoast.

Whythehell didn't I think of that when I was messing with the lit Star Destroyer??
I was getting cramps in my hand, hand-drilling ~400 holes with a pin-vise. Could have mounted the bits in my Dremel. Aaaaa!

oh wait, didn't have the hand-chuck for it then - just checked, and it does indeed appear to close tightly enough to grasp the ridiculously fine micro-drills I used.
Certainly try it on the next fiber-lit project. Damn, a DAY, instead of a week.

That looks really good! Did you put it Scotchlite on the running lights as well? Does the scotchlite come in different colors, or did you paint transparent blue over it? What does it look like in normal room light? Enough questions yet?
icon_smile.gif

Ethan

Scotchlite comes in all different colors. We have tons of the stuff at my firehouse, we are always putting it on equipment. I didn't do anything to the running lights. They do it all by themselves. In normal light it looks like I painted it a rich, uniform blue. Notice also that the photorp launchers have red scotchlite on them.

that looks nice under flash. Now if it were UV-reactive, a person could rig such a bulb on their display and get that all the time.

Hey scotchlite was good enough for the windows on the feringi starship for next gen series. We used that all the time at Greg Jeins shop.

minieffects

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back