Using inks on top of sealed paint

leatherneck

Hey guys, I have looked for this answer on the board and have not been sucessful in locating it. I really want to repaint my suit using inks. My question is what do I need to do in order for the inks to stick? I painted my suit using prosaide and acrylic paints and sealed it with a flexible clear gloss that I purchased from the FX Warehouse. Can I use the inks directly on top of the clear coat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im not sure brother. The benefit of inks is that they actually dye the latex so you shouldn't need to touch up ever. using inks over acrylic would defeat the purpose of that. As far as actually doing so... like if it is possible... I do not know... I too want to use inks. My first paint up was using the same exact method you did but I want to switch to inks for latex parts...Would be interesting to see if there is an easy way to strip a suit of its acrylic... not sure toh bro... the masterminds will chime in im sure

Im not sure brother. The benefit of inks is that they actually dye the latex so you shouldn't need to touch up ever. using inks over acrylic would defeat the purpose of that. As far as actually doing so... like if it is possible... I do not know... I too want to use inks. My first paint up was using the same exact method you did but I want to switch to inks for latex parts...Would be interesting to see if there is an easy way to strip a suit of its acrylic... not sure toh bro... the masterminds will chime in im sure

Well depends on the ink really, FW ink doesn't seem to dye the latex its more that the prosaid acts as the binder(glue).
I'm in the same boat regarding repainting as I did my hands the same way (Prosaid and inks) and now opting for an different method.
But I tried naphtha and eblow grease and it seems to slowly shifting off without damaging the latex.

Thanks for the input guys. I was trying to think of a way to strip the existing paint off, but that seems like it would be really messy and I don't want to use something on it that will degrade the latex. I might just try painting over my suit hands as I have an extra raw set in case the inks don't stick. I'll have to wait for about a month as I am getting ready to head out for work. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back