Announcement User Post Count Recalculation

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
We are taking our first step to moving to a new platform (HURRAY!) and part of that step is cleaning up old data and users here within the old platform. We have 10s of thousands of 0 post users, but also have users who do have posts that show as 0 post users. We can't delete those users until we have an accurate post count... which means, we have to do a full recount.

What doesn't this mean? In practical terms, not much, but you ARE likely to see your post count change. This will happen again when we move to the new platform as all post counts will be recounted, so it was coming sooner or later... but in this case... sooner.

I've noticed a lot of the other old members have also taken huge hits on their post counts as well

Sounds like we are going to lose a LOT of data then :unsure

:( That means a LOT of your posts have been deleted over the years. :(

I've noticed a lot of the other old members have also taken huge hits on their post counts as well

Sounds like we are going to lose a LOT of data then :unsure
No data is going to be lost. This recalculation reflects what is here now. Since we have never done a recalculation, the drop is based on deleted stuff as well as a bunch of stuff that was lost long, long ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

As you know there has been info lost over the years through the migrations and hacks.

No data is going to be lost. This recalculation reflects what is here now. Since we have never done a recalculation, the drop is based on deleted stuff as well as a bunch of stuff that was lost long, long ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

As you know there has been info lost over the years through the migrations and hacks.
That is part of the differences in the recalc for sure. As for this migration, we have already switched over TDH and 405th.com with no lost posts.

All those posts... lost... like tears in the rain...

tenor.gif

Merely something like 13 or 14k, I think :lol

I'm kinda hoping we can still have titles in the new software.

Chris

I don't think anyone feels as though it makes them important, but it can give an indication of how much they participate. Off topic and junkyard posts don't count on the RPF so one can get a general gauge from an individuals count. Unless they're just one word contributions which happens.

Hell, I've been here 18 years and shipped thousands of props and my post count is modest compared to others. More to your point of quality (if I do say so myself) over quantity. Still, I see nothing wrong with the counter.

That said, I pay close attention to how long one has been a member of the community more than anything else. Hope we're keeping the member since part!

Or just put a set of gold wings under my name and be done with it. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Seriously, people care about post counts? As if that makes them important, or proves something? Sad.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back