Suggestion Upping the allowed KB size on Avatars?

El Duderino

Sr Member
I was just curious if it's possible to maybe make the KB size on avatars just a little bigger, like 300kb max? No real reason, except I think it'd be cool to be able to have animated avatars. I would hope everyone is able to load them and no one is still on dial up, Lol.

I would hope everyone is able to load them and no one is still on dial up, Lol.

You might be surprised...

40% of the US households do not have broadband...

300kB would equate to about a 1 minute download on dialup, so a thread with 20 unique member post would take 15-20 minutes for someone on dialup to view, kinda ridiculous to subject anyone to that just for avatars and not content...

Plus it would nearly quadrupedal the server load and bandwidth, for every thread...

Last edited:
Yes, having 10 members with 300kb avatars would mean a 3MB load on one page only for avatars. Then add pic intensive threads and blam! RPF just as fast as in the dark ages...

I'd love to up it, but the reasons stated above are why we are holding them at their current size. We try not to necessarily take "the lowest common denominator" approach but we also realize that not everyone has broadband. With that being said, you CAN create simple animated gifs. There are a few members who have them!

I'd love to see a reduction on signature pics. IMHO!

Probably won't see us increasing them, but won't see us reducing them either. 120X120 is a pretty common size for avatars and 75kb is pretty good for a standard image, and will even accommodate small animated gifs.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back