Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

Looks great! As far as the color, I like your redder tone. I also tend to prefer emulating the screen look of something like this versus the original prop, but it's always tough to decide. The OT blu-rays, for example, were oddly color graded, so they don't match the look of previous video versions, or the original colors that were seen in an actual movie theater. So there's a lot of variation out there, not to mention how you plan to light the model in your home.

On another note, I always wondered if articulated figures liuke this could be "skinned" with a thin rubber or fabric to hide the articulation points, while still maintaining flexibility. Not that you need to do something like that, but I was curious if anybody has successfully tried doing something like that.

Great work, keep it up!

Thanks Bloop ... and it's like you said ... it already makes a great difference in color if I shoot pictures of my Rancor in bright daylight or on a cloudy day.

Chaïm

Thanks so much joberg ... it's been very daunting at times ... a steep learning curve ... and I have to admit I'm loving it that my Rancor is so near to be complete ...

Chaïm

Today I had a rare moment in my kitchen with the sunlight ... so I present to you the Rancor in movie technicolor :

Rancor - Upgrade -82.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -84.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -83.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -86.jpg

Yesterday I added a little bit more green to the shoulders and spine and the back of his head :

Rancor - Upgrade -85.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -87.jpg

Weathered his shoulder spikes to be less prominent and did some touch ups on his tongue :

Rancor - Upgrade -89.jpg

One thing remains to be made and that's his manacle also known as his right wrist cuff, I'm scratchbuilding one to be revealed soon :

Rancor - Upgrade -90.jpg

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
Well today I managed to get the Rancor's manacle or wrist cuffs made. I used some random plastic pieces to scratch build the part, some faux leather and magic sculpt ... this is what it looks like before applying paint :

Rancor - Upgrade -91.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -92.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -93.jpg

And of course I had to gather some metal rings, which will be attached when everything is done and the manacle can be put on the Rancor's arm :

Rancor - Upgrade -94.jpg

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
I just found this today and have to say, Wow, this is totally awesome!!! And right after that I went to ebay to see what kind of availability there was for a similar model...keep up the amazing work Chaim!

Thanks Analyzer and ABE ... I'm pretty pleased with how the shape of those wrist cuffs finally turned out ... I had to become rather creative into making them bendable and work for real, so I could test-fit them whenever need be before permanently attaching the cuffs on the Rancor's right wrist. This next picture was the inspiration to scratch build those wrist cuffs/manacle as close to the original as I could :

rancordancelol.jpg

Dennis Muren (on the left) and Phil Tippett with the Rancor puppet, ILM San Rafael courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd.

Next up painting those wrist cuffs ... to be continued.

Chaïm

Last edited:
Haui ... you're correct but I wish I knew what they used to recreate that slime as seen in this behind the scenes picture :

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-13 om 14.57.19.png

Personally, of all the Rancor figures I've seen online which have somesort of glue-droplet hanging from the mouth, I was not very pleased with that permanent result.

jusdrewit ... you are correct, to make him movie-accurate he should shine all over his skin, while they filmed the Rancor they sprayed him with some moisture that's why he's so shiny and sweaty looking :

c2295258ac759b56c58617a2499ca626.jpg

Personally as an action figure I prefer my Rancor to have a matt finish ... to protect the paint slightly I used a thin brushed layer of AK Ultra Matt Varnish.

Chaïm

For the slime stuff you might look into some of the water effects stuff like Woodland Scenics?

possibly use over clear fishing wire to give a base for the drip effect?

Sorry I missed this. Your transformation of this is astonishing! Love all the added details and the repaint looks spot on to his screen appearance.

Excellent job on the cuffs! You could always put some high gloss varnish (spray) on his tongue, teeth and at the corner of its mouth to imitate saliva.
Don't spray the whole thing with that high gloss; I think that the skin should remain in a mat finish as it is now.

So I scratchbuild some saliva drips using a thin transparant piece of elastic rubber, from a Han Solo action figure and some Mod Podge glossy glue . . . here's a test-fitting :

Rancor - Upgrade -100.jpg

After taking and posting this picture I decided to use the Mod Podge around his gums and on his teeth, inside the mouth and on his tongue. It will give a shiny finish like saliva.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back