Upgraded my E-11 trooper weapon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by hyperdyne, Feb 14, 2006.

1. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Always wanted a cool blaster to troop with. The Kenner one was great to troop with but was too light and rather sad in the effects dept. The PVC blaster is nice and heavy, looks awesome, but lacks roleplaying appeal.

Anyway I was bored so I upgraded my E11. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Whoops, the movie link got zotted out.

Here she is:
    E11 upgrade movie

Camera flash brightness blazes out of the barrel, simulated red laser bolt travels through barrel, throws tons of light, ear piercing volume, 2 sounds, and a nice kicker motor that engages during each shot. It's as realistic as I could make it. Now I just need a real laser gun. :lol

3. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW. i want a gun that scares the p00p out of people too. :-D

4. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Working the stun sound in was a nice touch. Well done.

Have you considered transplanting the guts from your upgraded Kenner into a PVC E-11? The instructions at the Imperial Fleet Blaster Builders Club make a great looking blaster, and then you have the looks to match the effects. Just a thought.

5. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I hear you. We have scared the bejezus out of people with the blaster. It's not right that something so loud comes from a small gun. :) I feel like a kid again blasting away around the house. :lol

red2, I have an older PVC blaster but havent taken it apart. I suspect you might need more room inside to fit everything, but that is just a guess. I would have to see the latest plans and all. It is probably doable one way or another.

For a quick fix, the plastic Kenner blaster is the perfect size for all the additional electronics. All the stuff fit in there very nicely with room to spare...

6. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Like everything you do, that's just amazing. So awesome with the stun sound.

7. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

:eek OMG that rocks..

Can you show us the guts of that blaster??

SAS

8. darth_sayder

darth_sayder New Member

Now thats, awesome...
    Something to chase the cat around the house with.

9. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

10. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*sigh*...more money to Hyperdyne.......

HA-HA...that rocks man.

womo

11. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Man if I had a cat it probably would of used up all 9 lives in cardiac arrest. :lol

I have a pic of the guts inside the blaster, need to upload it here. BTW, you can choose stun or normal blast sound anytime you want. I wanted a rapid fire blaster sound too since I've never seen one out there.

Next up, putting a bigger and louder system into my MG-34.. B)

12. IndustrialSizeEd

IndustrialSizeEd New Member

Wow...that's awesome.

13. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

That's kickin' rad.

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

hyperdyne you truly are a genius :)

15. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...are you kidding me?. :eek I've always shunned the Kenner blaster....but this makes me want to get one with your upgrades. LMK if/when a kit is available for a PVC or similar blaster...

16. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I was somewhat disconcerted carrying around this paltry Kenner blaster. But heck, now I want 2 of em - one for each hand.. :lol

Every night I pick this thing up and its like I'm first through the door on the Tantive. I gotta get a better video of this in the dark. You should see the how the entire room glows red.

17. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

This is fricken sweet.. I knew it would be :)

I can think of several blasters that could use upgrades like this..... might have to start opening them up ;) muhahahaha :love

18. mattydog

mattydog New Member

ok how much :cry

19. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Dang Jim. It's all I can do to try and hold on to my statis as a "prop god" in my 501st outpost. If they find out about you they'll run me out of town as a 2 bit faker. :lol
    Great job though, and I'd be interested to see if something like that could be added to some other weapon. Like say an E-web? :D

Richard

20. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

These arent for sale right now, but keep your eyes peeled... :)

lol @ DC, thanks man.

You know, MonCal and I were talking about an life sized E-web before I tackled this. Would be very cool to do, and the electronics would be pretty straight forward. I was thinking more like a 100W audio amp and brighter lights, maybe even a variable xeon strobe.

Now where can I get an E-web..... ;)

21. mverta

mverta Sr Member

Hey Jim,

Is there a way to stop successive firings from cutting off the previous audio? It'd be great to hear each sample decay naturally without the truncation. Brilliant implementation, as usual, though I'm not sure what's cooler in the video: The gun, or that kick-* striped lens flare on the camera. :)

_Mike

22. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

Great work cant wait to see the Mg-34 in action , How bout doing one for the Lewis gun , You can fit a nice sized Speaker and Strobe light in the Barrel....

23. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Thanks Mike. I'll try and take another video in a dark room with the gun away from the camera. The lens flare did get out of hand. :)

Yes I could have the board play out the current audio sample fully before kicking off another one. I didnt do it that way initially cause I really liked the rapid fire feature. I suppose you could have multiple shots going out but the sound complete fully before repeating.

In short, either way is doable..

24. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I figured the fluted barrel on the E11 and MG-34 would make for cool lighting effects. Not so much for the Lewis gun, but I suppose you could do a Lewis version with a nice strobe in the barrel and a good-sized speaker. That might be pretty cool. What about adding a huge kicker motor that also gives you one heck of a recoil?? :lol

25. Umbra

Umbra New Member

omi god that is awesome

-p

26. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

sweet, i want a gut pic. and i like that idea on the kick back. as for the really fast blast, star wars battlefront 2. or i think...i forget but it is like soundfinder.com or something.

27. CanadianKnight

CanadianKnight New Member

Wow. That's just astounding. Way to give a Kenner some kick. :D So, if and when you put these up for sale, will you be selling conversion "kits", or just completed blasters? (I have a great customized Kenner I'd LOVE to add a kit to.)

28. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I am not sure, but I am leaning towards a kit. Then people can install them into their Kenner blaster or PVC blaster.

29. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

BTW, here is a new video showing 2 of these bad boys in action..

I hope to help outfit my new 501st squad with a stockpile of these - it would be fun to raid a con room with these blazing. :)

E11 Upgrade Movie Part Deux

Enjoy.

30. BigJoe88

BigJoe88 Well-Known Member

after that new movie im all giddy like a little school girl :)

31. CanadianKnight

Man.. you are having WAY too much fun. :D That new movie is awesome.

Glad to hear you're leaning towards kits... even though that would mean I'd have to take my customized Kenner apart again and most likely refinish it again... I'd do it for this modification. :D

32. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim, I'll see about putting in a good work with my CO (Bamatrooper) and see how he made his. We were supposed to have a prop party to make some of these. But it got cancelled. :(

Richard

33. icemanfredtm

icemanfredtm Well-Known Member

Cool.
    love the Doc Holiday refference

34. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New Member

Richard, i'll give you my eweb for this.

Jim, you have just won the lottery.
    I can't wait for these to become available. I just bought a new hasbro e-11 and shelved it for this future project.

-Joey

35. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

I won the lotto? Heck I didnt even know. Too bad it wasnt the $365 million powerball over here. :lol

Man I'd love to see an e-web. It would be a hoot to get that thing working with all sorts of obnoxious lights and sounds. :)

BTW, I hope to have good news regarding E-11 kit upgrades sometime soon...

I'm your huckleberry. ;)

36. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Just a little something we have been working on. A small armory.

[​IMG]

I will be taking these to our 501st gig tomorrow - we really need to have some rebel target practice. :lol

37. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Sweet... we'd better bring our ear plugs :love

38. skyit

skyit Well-Known Member

a first good step.
    now you should try to autobuild the folding stock, it makes really the difference.
    that's my kenner conversion:

http://www.italegion.altervista.org/kenner.html
    [​IMG]

39. CanadianKnight

Stop teasing us man. :D I *WANT*... :D

40. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Brilliant. Brilliant. As your stuff always is Jim..

41. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

soon, very soon. :) Just need to get a new web page built...

The gig was too much fun. All the blasters were out in force blasting rebel scum. I was also temporarily blinded last night while getting blasted simultaneously with two of these puppies. :lol

Yeah, the folding stock would be good and all. I'm not that much of an accuracy nut for these types of props. Your tutorial on the stock is great BTW.

Plus I figured when you have blinding lights and ear piercing sounds coming from your blaster, any inaccuracies tend to be magically overlooked. I'll take a roleplaying functional blaster over a non-functioning deadweight any day of the week. :D

It's the blaster I wish I had when I was a kid...

42. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

OMG.
    I was just looking at my pathetic kenner and saw this thread and was like holy $H.T.
    This is so friggen awesome bro. i've gosta have this for my Kenner blaster, this is a need a want and a MUST HAVE...........
    PAleeeeease pm me with all the details when the kit is ready..
    Sorry for the over excitement but it is really cool.

43. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Didn't the first Kenners have a folding stock or is my memory just faded?

44. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

WOW Jim, you suck. ...cause I now want one of those.

But really, why you gots to go and make such cool toys all the time?

45. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Thanks Ken. I dunno, I am bored so I have to continue to make stuff. :love

Goldenrod, hopefully soon I will have some details. We almost feel these are much more fun to play with than the light sabers. :thumbsup

I think the old 70s Kenner blaster had a folding stock (the one with the yellow barber poll that rotated in the barrel). At least I remember something like that.

Anyway, here is another movie showing the brightness of the barrel flash. It's crazy I tell ya. :lol

E11 upgrade barrel flash movie

46. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Luv it it.
    Hey Jim do you have any of those deluxe pro trooper kits lying around??
    I need to get one of the those kits aswell.
    -Goldenrod

47. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Thanks. I finally engineered this guy to run off a single 9V, which is pretty impressive. I figured the barrel flasher is so bright it would be pretty cool in an old school BSG blaster too. Now just have to get my hands on one. :)

Yeah GR I do have the deluxe pro amps laying around here, let me know...

48. Star Wars Man

yo, why are u blacking out the vent holes?

49. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Because its fun, and I dont want to let the magic smoke out. :)

50. Star Wars Man

hyperdyne has a secret.................................................

i feel like i should say something else, but i cant think of anything