Upgraded/Miniature style DeAg Falcon

Lee S

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well now these builds have been moved to a new section, I don't mind setting up a separate thread for mine.
I was originally planning to completely scratch build a 32" Falcon and had already amassed most of the donor kits needed for the build.
So I decided to buy the DeAg kit, but fix/correct/upgrade it as seemed reasonable, to best match the filming miniature.

I'l be replacing many of the nurnies/greebles with the original kit part, but if the DeAg piece is good enough, or I don't have apart, it'll stay.
I'm not planning to use most of the interior, the ramp, or landing gear. Although the cockpit and canon interiors will mostly be used.

There will be a Flickr page with my reference images and build photos in it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lee_stringer/albums/72157667378371465

Only started with my build a few weeks ago, and it'll progress in bursts as I want to wait until whole sections are delivered before I dive in :)

So here's where I'm at with the lower section, there's a few pieces missing, but it's mostly fixed as far as I'm going. I didn't bother updating the two lower recesses much as I don't they will be seen much. The upper/sides will get a LOT more work on the,

IMG_5091.jpgIMG_5093.jpgIMG_5094.jpgIMG_5096.jpgIMG_5098.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Upgraded DeAg Falcon

Awesome. Those parts will definitely add more depth and definition to the overall look of the kit when completed.

Mate love what your doing. I'm doing a few parts but nothing like this. Will be a great model when done. Thanks for sharing the photos.

The upper tunnels are next. The right one was some of the very first pieces and required extensive changes and tweaks. The left not so much. It's easy to see that the patterns have been improved and updated as the project has progressed. It should be noted that the right tunnel has been updated again by DeAg. While some of the details didn't really need replacing on the left tunnel, I already had the kit parts :-D
Tunnel_Upper_IMG_4739.JPGTunnel_Upper_IMG_4750.jpgTunnel_Upper_IMG_4890.jpgTunnel_Upper_IMG_5069.jpgTunnel_Upper_IMG_5071.jpgTunnel_Upper_IMG_4753.JPG

Attachments

• Tunnel_Upper_IMG_4754.JPG
    Tunnel_Upper_IMG_4754.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 418
I've now started in the top 'saucer' as all those parts have arrived. Before I tackle the cockpit I'm getting the 3 recesses out the way.

Ended up replacing everything in the first one. Plus I added some of the details that are missing. The undercut at the top on the original minature goes in further, but I didn't extend the section as it seemed unnecessary. The DeAg part, as you can see, isn't bad for the most part. Some of the smaller details are missing though.
IMG_5417.JPGIMG_5418.jpg

The next one needs a little more work. Again the DeAg parts are a mix of 'really good', to 'what?' :)
IMG_5420.JPGIMG_5421.JPGIMG_5423.JPG

Great work Sherlock ;-) Have you head on views of the original studio Falcons recesses to judge how accurate your parts lay?

I've now started in the top 'saucer' as all those parts have arrived. Before I tackle the cockpit I'm getting the 3 recesses out the way.

Ended up replacing everything in the first one. Plus I added some of the details that are missing. The undercut at the top on the original minature goes in further, but I didn't extend the section as it seemed unnecessary. The DeAg part, as you can see, isn't bad for the most part. Some of the smaller details are missing though.
View attachment 631932View attachment 631933

The next one needs a little more work. Again the DeAg parts are a mix of 'really good', to 'what?' :)
View attachment 631934View attachment 631935View attachment 631936

Lee, you used a 1/35 Gepard part but they used the 1/87 Roco Gepard on the original, quite a different size ! :D

Hey,
Yes I know, when I was pulling the parts I saw it was Gepard and just got that piece. I was thinking it was too big but didn't check until I started trimming and gluing!
If you look at the second picture, you'll see it's the right one!

L

Lee, you used a 1/35 Gepard part but they used the 1/87 Roco Gepard on the original, quite a different size ! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Great work Sherlock ;-) Have you head on views of the original studio Falcons recesses to judge how accurate your parts lay?

As best I can. I have thousands of pics of the original, but still there's angles I could use. So I open as many as I can for a particular area and go with that.

One more down. This was a bugger and I'm still not fully accurate. But there's only a handful of people that will be able to tell :)
I've now replaced the piece on top with the kit part (Tamiya type61)
-D
13394017_10154345172173530_7836970458080775169_n.jpg13406921_10154345172038530_5235850543587027350_n.jpg

13394017_10154345172173530_7836970458080775169_n.jpg

13406921_10154345172038530_5235850543587027350_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Lee. Looks much better with real bits! I plan to do something similar, but probably won't replace so many parts......too expensive :cry

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back