UPDATED !!!! ANH Comlink part found?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Madrid Boba, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Madrid Boba

Madrid Boba Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi again, :)

The more I look at it, the more i think that this is the part. :confused

Please take a look at the pics.

Here we can see how the original and the found part, have the same threading, but only the first half, the first eight threads. The perspective angle is not the same, but very similar. By the way, most of the nipples that i have seen, have eight "fins"... like the original comlink ( eight measuring the same, and another eight decreasing size...)

[​IMG]

Here we can see how if we place a Hovi Mix with the right angle, it looks correct. Please compare both...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did zoom the image, in order to measure the fins and the complete piece (comlink)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been said that the original part used by the makers could be a cylinder from an Airplane Radial Engine model kit, wich could make sense....

But the cooling fins of the cylinder are parallel (if we compare them to the beginning and bottom of the comlink. Fin to fin they are always parallel), and the ones in Luke´s are not.. as you can see in the pic. Therefore, they have a thread...

[​IMG]

I have found, that one of the sizes on wich this PVC close nipples are made is one inch, wich i think has to be it. Because it has to be just a little bit bigger than the mic tip, wich in this case is...

Also, they have nipples called "reducing nipple" on wich the end is smaller, and that will give the shape as the second part of the Comlink...

[​IMG]

Now is just a question of finding the right one by going to a Plumb store with a Hovi Mix, or looking at some catalogs...

Take a look also at the manufacturer page of the one that i used in the comparation.

PVC Close Nipples, NPT Threaded (Seafit) - Plastic Plumbing Fittings

What do you guys think? :confused

Alfredo

Hello all,

I was reading some time ago, the book "The Making of Star Wars". On page 117, says "The comlink is in fact part of a faucet" :rolleyes

So i started to look at different parts, and i found this...

[​IMG]

If you remove the center nut... you will have two halves ...

[​IMG]

There has to be many types and sizes. If we take a Mic tip, and measure it, we will see the size required.

The thing that i like about it is that one end is straight, but the other one decreases in diameter.... I bet that they were made (or still made) of plastic... that will explain the way the end looks in the real one, where the edge is not perfectly cut.

[​IMG]

What do you think? :confused

Thanks

Alfredo

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. Madrid Boba

Re: ANH Comlink part found?

And here a few plastic ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Madrid Boba

And this one looks like a mic tip....

Could the real one be a part related to a faucet?

[​IMG]

4. TylerHam

TylerHam Well-Known Member

I think this should be in the replica prop section :)

5. Madrid Boba

Opppsss !!! :$

Could someone please fix my mistake? :confused

Alfredo

6. blip

blip Sr Member

I read that just the other day too.
    Thought he might have been mistaken or talking about the filter mesh part at the front.
    I was of the general idea that those black rings were just rubber o rings slid on afterwards.
    Hang on while I review the footage.

7. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Looking at the modified part it looks like a simple plumbing nipple. You can get them in various sizes and styles without having to cut out the middle wrench portion.

8. switchblade_slinger

switchblade_slinger Well-Known Member

The 'part of a faucet' is the aerator part that attatches to the end of a spout. Inside your chrome kitchen and lavvy faucet spouts are commonly found white plastic screen-and baffle- holders, designed to cut down water flow and stop the particulate matter. The 'Microphone' of the commlink looks very much like one of these aerator assemblies to me.

9. switchblade_slinger

switchblade_slinger Well-Known Member

Or, a hovi mic tip.

10. GrenadeKing

GrenadeKing Sr Member

Is than an HD screen cap?

There are letters on the side just above the grip but, I can't make them out.

11. Madrid Boba

Thanks for your help!!! :thumbsup

It was already known that both ends come from from the Mic Tips of the Stormtrooper helmet ... ;) , one of the ends is the inside part. The letters are " HOVI-MIX Pa2"

But i think that nowbody knows for sure where the Mic Tip (part) comes from, and also what they did use for the middle black part... :confused

Some say that is a part from a Radial Airplane model kit, and some other that maybe from a RC engine....

When i saw those pictures, i thought that they could be the missing part... :)

Alfredo

12. Madrid Boba

UPDATED !!!

13. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some of us have been saying this all the time.

Several of us have found many similar items, made 30 years ago, and made yesterday, that are only a little bit different. The differences have been in bevels, length of the fins, density of the metal mesh etc. ... but people still think "It is called a 'mic tip', so it must be a mic tip" or they read some theory in a forum or on Parts of Star Wars and take that as established fact. :rolleyes
    Btw, "Hovi" means "House" in Finnish. "Mix" is, well, you mix hot and cold. "Pa" = Pascal, a unit of pressure.

14. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I don't see much similarity at all with the threaded plumbing parts.

The screencap of the comlink sitting there might look like threading, but if you look at the profile of the part you'd see the ridges are not all the same height (threading would have to be).
    The ridge on the tapered section right before the even ridges is roughly .2 inches tall.

Check the Han blaster thread for more info on this part.

15. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Here's an alternate theory to the mic tip.
    How about a microphone capsule from an aircraft.
    I found this one awhile back...

[​IMG]

16. Madrid Boba

"I don't see much similarity at all with the threaded plumbing parts."

Really? :confused

I do not agree with that... because.... :love

1.-it is said on the book that the part comes from something related to plumbing...

2.-The size matches

3.-The comlink is threated, as you can see inthe pic, where the lines do not go parallel to the bottom

4.-There has to be thousnds of different nipples, and maybe one of them will be the right one...

5,.-If you take the inside part of the mic tio, it will fit perfectly on the end of the mic tip. It seem like if by turning the mic (that is why it has the 4 straight lines around, so your finger will hold it better and it will not slip when wet) it will go up closing with no gap the end, therefore the liquid will not scape ....

6.-The Pa2 that is written on the side, maybe is related to the pressure unit Pa..(same name)

7.-In the pictures that i made, you can see that visually it is almos identical..

8.-We can not see how deep the thread is, because of the angle that the picture is taken, but in this pic we could try to see that... and remember that it is an elypse, and in this pic we see the beginning of the threat but not the point of maximun depth

[​IMG]

Not enough reasons yet? :rolleyes

Do not worry. I will order one of them, and once i have it in my hands i will make one comlink, and we will see if it looks like or not.

But for now, all the replicas and props are not accurate because of the threads....going parallel...when they are not !! :cry

Cheers

Alfredo:cheers

17. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's great to see interest in this piece and that there is still a desire to find found parts. :thumbsup to MB.

Looking at the screen caps of the comlink on Luke's belt, the 'threads' look very tall/deep. So much so that I don't think that they are threads. I've never seen threads that have that deep/tall of a pitch to them.

18. Madrid Boba

Thanks Gino !!!!!

Alfredo

19. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I always thought it was some variation on a Cox motor cylinder like this.
    [​IMG]

Then they just covered it with wire shrink tubing and hit the tubing with a torch to shrink it (it would conform nicely) and voila.

I couldn't say for sure as I haven't dug into this one much, but I thought I'd toss it out there for the die hards.

Now how about those * death star panel lights?! lol
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/death-star-door-control-panel-98087/

Doug

20. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

You need to look at better pictures.
    The comlink part is the same piece used on several blasters.

Does this look threaded to you?

[​IMG]

Threading is a series of V's - each ridge is equal in size to the groove between them. The gap between the ridges on the prop piece is at least twice as wide as the fins. The fins also have a flat edge. Threading is sharp edged (VVVVV).

I have a couple ideas of where the plumbing information in the Making of SW book came from and I don't think they're reliable. There is other incorrect prop information in the book. The information is taken from interviews, not actual confirmed part identifications.

As for the comlink tip...
    There are 4 open slots on the side of the side of the Hovi tip. If it was a faucet aerator, water would shoot out the sides - bad design. There's also a dome shaped interior piece which would stop anything from passing through the tip (except sound). It might not be a microphone, but the theory makes more sense than faucet aerator.

21. blip

blip Sr Member

One thing that strikes me is the type of plastic.

Threads for plumbing have to be nylon type stuff, soft and tear proof.
    You can't glue or sand that suff.

Because that part on the gun ^ has been clean cut and glued, it must be hard plastic, like ABS or Styrene.
    Is it part of a model kit?
    Cooling is the most common reason you put finns on things, motors mainly.
    Is it a model kit of some type of motor? -a Biplane or Rocket motor?
    Also model kit parts usually come pre-cut in two.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  22. Madrid Boba

Hi Chris, :)

Maybe you are right...

But the thing is that i can not explain myself how come having so many expert model builders in this forum (and in other of course), nobody knows wich part it is...

They are able to indentify really small pieces found on the Star Wars Vessels, and capable of making studio scale replicas 100% accurate....

Not many air cooled engines have been made at that scale (it has to be big, because of the size of cylinder).....

By the way, here are a couple of good links about this scale engines..

Radial engine model kits? - Forums - FineScale Modeler: Online Community, Forums, Blogs, Galleries

And visible engine models...

Visible engine scale models

Also, we must think that we are talking about a movie from 1977, and that all the kit models parts used came from commercial kits.....

Besides, the fins that they are in the Luke pic, are not parallel, as you could see... how do you explain that ? :confused :confused

Doug, thanks for your answer also. I did look to the Cox engines, as I had a few when i was a child, and it was one of the first items i thought of....The lower part could be, but not the upper.....

Being a Pilot myself, i have some information about aircraft engines. I have a great book, [​IMG]

where you can see the air cooled engines, not only US made, but from all over the world, and i haven´t seen a cylinder like this on any of them. Most of those engines, have the exhaust and intake manifolds on the sides of the top of the cylinder, plus the valves, and some other parts, needing holes to fit them all around.

I am sure that we will finally find out about this part, and is great to have your opinions, as i consider that it is the only way to find it. :)

I will try to order that part, and once i have it i will post it. Meanwhile i will keep onsearching for the right part... :thumbsup

Thank you all guys... :cheers

Alfredo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  23. Madrid Boba

Ahh, i forgot one thing. On this part ...

[​IMG]

The fins are very small for cooling purposes...they need a lot more of dissipation surface...., specially on the top of the cylinder, where the combustion takes place...therefore i do not think that is an engine part

[​IMG]

Alfredo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  24. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Object angle, lighting, reflections and shadows combining to trick the eye. It has fooled us in the past on various SW parts.

Keep plugging away. :thumbsup

Doug

25. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not if they are dummy cylinders from a model airplane just used for display and not to actually dissipate heat. And these rings are clearly parallel and not threads like the plumbing parts.

26. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

That's it. That's the system.
    Thx LP!

27. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I am in the cooling find camp as well. I don't think these are threads, but some representation of a motor housing.

28. Madrid Boba

Ok, thanks..!!

I have been reading the thread about Han Solo´s Blaster.... lots of info and hard work, ..wich makes me think that this is not as easy as it looks.

But i will not give up,. and i will continue working.

Alfredo

29. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Identifying parts on a scale model are a little easier (sort of). At least then you pretty much know they're a model kit part and that narrows down the search considerably.

In this case, we don't know if it's a model kit part or not.
    I'm actually leaning towards it being something else completely. I don't know what, but I feel we're looking in the wrong direction.
    Kurtyboy has done a lot of research into radial engine kits and found nothing. We've all been looking for this piece in radial engine kits for over a decade now.

Here's something to consider... I can't think of a single instance where there was a model kit part used on an ANH prop. I don't think they used any in ANH. It wasn't until ESB that the prop master, Frank Bruton, introduced the Revell V-8 engine into SW prop building. I think there are only 2 or 3 kits used in ESB (the V-8 and a couple others we haven't IDed).
    Finally during ROTJ, ILM started building more hand props and we see many more model kit details on hand props.

30. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

Keep up the search, Alfredo! It's gotta be out there somewhere. :love

I also agree that the fins don't appear to be threads. It does look strikingly similar to small engine cylinders, but too little reference to be sure of it's material I think.

Great photo lonepigeon! :thumbsup Is it me or does the top fin of the larger part of the cylinder look thicker than the rest?

-Carson

31. Madrid Boba

32. LHZ

LHZ New Member

I'm sorry but I have to correct this. In Finnish language, "Hovi" can be understood as a palace or as people who rule the palace.

"House" means "talo" in Finnish.

:thumbsup

33. blip

blip Sr Member

[​IMG]

Here are a few shots from the game CD "Behind the Magic".

LP has a good point about the kit parts on the guns not being used till the second film.

Since ILM was on one side of the Atlantic and Elstree was on the other - how whould the parts get across?.

From the images above, we can see that motor cooling parts were used in 1976, but on the ILM side of the world. If we look at the Han Solo gun at Elstree, we see a real gun, a real scope and a cable from an old camera. We can also see two of the thing with fins.

It seems that real weapons (from Baptys?) and camera parts (from ?) and electronic parts (from Elstree Electronics) were the only three source items used.

Plus one other big thing that points away from a motor cooling head, the barrel inside (where the piston would travel up and down) would not be two diameters. You can see there are two diameters in that inner barrel.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  34. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to point out blip.
    The blaster prop and that concept model are unrelated and don't share any parts.

35. blip

blip Sr Member

lol. That's the point. Seperated by the Atlantic.

Did the text come out at your end? Try a refresh and check out the observation re pistons.

36. blip

blip Sr Member

Here's a question, apart from the Tap and Jet part on the Obi Saber, were there any other hand props that didn't use Camera parts, Bapty Weapons or Elestree Electronic parts?

37. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

No, the text wasn't there when I saw your post the first time.

Those were the main hand prop part sources in ANH.
    There were also audio parts (turntable pieces, amp knobs/dials) and I suppose the T-track and a few other things were local hardware store finds.
    Parts were shared across props, costumes and sets.

There is the Stormtrooper grappling hook which I'm pretty sure is a honing tool so there might be a few auto parts in the mix.

38. kurtyboy

That isn't a real gun, it's resin. And that isn't a real scope, it's a DIN plug. ;)

39. kurtyboy

BTW, I think the reason it looks like angled threads in this picture is because it is made from two halves which are not glued together perfectly straight. You can see the gap of a seam in several scenes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I'm trying to figure out what got updated in this thread. :lol

41. Madrid Boba

Maybe my interest in discovering what this part really is? :lol

There is a lot of information in this forum, and sometimes it is difficult to find it. Most of the info about this part was in the Han Solo blaster thread, wich i did not read it until now..... :confused

Alfredo

42. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I too think it's a model kit - probably a 1/8th scale Radial engine, much like this one from Hasegawa:

[​IMG]

43. amish

amish Sr Member

Williams Bros 1/6 Scale 1918 LeRhone Rotary Engine.

ANH Solo Blaster Grill as well.

44. Madrid Boba

amish, are you saying that this is the one used on both, the comlink and the blaster?

Thanks

Alfredo

45. kurtyboy

It's not. I looked at all the Williams stuff about six years ago and spoke with the owner of the company who looked through his stock of molds. It's not one of theirs.

46. amish

amish Sr Member

That is what I assumed, but if Kurtyboy did more research, then he would know.

However, I would assume the same part is used for both the comlink and ANH Blaster. If the mold fits :)

Though, the pic does look like a pretty good match.

47. Katsu Ma'roy

Katsu Ma'roy New Member

I've been chatting with a Model engine builder, and he suggests that this may be a Technopower II Seven-Cylinder Radial engine part. Check here:

Model Engine Builders—Other Companies

If anyone has crafted this part out of resin already, I'd be interested in this for a few projects.

48. Madrid Boba

They all look like if they could be...but it has holes for the manifolds... :(

49. kurtyboy

I'm pretty sure the Star Wars parts are plastic and not metal.

There's a large remote control bi-plane hanging from the ceiling in my local RC/hobby store. While not an exact match it has very similar radial parts around the engine. I need to take a photo next time I'm there.