Update on the Polar Lights Refit 2-17-06 PICS!!!!

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well Here goes nothing. Here are a few shots of my build so far. Started with the Cargo/Shuttle area. It will be lit as well. More pics can be found here:

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/refit.html

from above:
refit007.jpg

from the back:
refit009.jpg

Last edited:
Dude,
How many models are you building at the same time?. :eek Lookin good so far...along with all your other projects. :thumbsup Thanks again for documenting your work.

Sean

Originally posted by masterjedi322@Dec 13 2005, 08:32 PM
Dude,
How many models are you building at the same time?.  :eek Lookin good so far...along with all your other projects.  :thumbsup Thanks again for documenting your work.

Sean
[snapback]1135354[/snapback]​

LOL too many it seems like :)

Looking great.
Seeing those pics makes me want to let my old TMP smoothie rest in her box, unassembled... need to get me a PL.

I'm interested in seeing the nav deflector all lit up too.

And, btw, the Big E refit is the most beautiful starship ever.

Excellent cargo bay. Definitely thumb-worthy. :thumbsup

I see you are building the "TMP" version of the ship. No bloody -A. Very wise. :D

- K

Does that kit come WITH a light kit?.

and for that matter... when the aitch-eee-double-hockey-sticks are they gonna make the REAL Enterprise in this scale?.?.?

grrr...

luv,
-r.

Nope no light kit, building my own as I go. With Polar Lights gone the way of the dodo I doubt we will ever see a production 1/350 TOS Enterprise

JDH

Originally posted by rhboyd@Dec 14 2005, 05:54 PM
Does that kit come WITH a light kit?.

and for that matter... when the aitch-eee-double-hockey-sticks are they gonna make the REAL Enterprise in this scale?.?.?

grrr...

luv,
-r.
[snapback]1136024[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@Dec 14 2005, 08:33 PM
Nope no light kit, building my own as I go.  With Polar Lights gone the way of the dodo I doubt we will ever see a production 1/350 TOS Enterprise

JDH

Darn.

When did Polar Lights bite the big one? Did they get bought out by another company?

I thought the TOS Trek kits were doing fairly well. They certainly were handled more than a fair deal better than the ERTL/AMT kits and were available for far less money than most "smoothie" kits.

If anything, the real interest in Trek fandom lies in the TOS' stuff in spite of all the attempts by Paramount and the last Star Trek producers to make us forget about the original characters and vehicles. :angry

We really could be seeing the end of officially licensed Trek merchandise within a few short years at the rate things are going.

I think one of the other contributing factors may be the expense of buying the shows on DVD. The box sets are ALL ridiculously overpriced. Paramount could have easily sold between 3-5 times as many of the sets if the prices had been $70 MSRP or lower INSTEAD of this B.S. of $125 MSRP.

Polar was bought by "Ertl/Racing Champions" last year I think it was. So now ironically these fantastic PL kits are now in the hands of... god help me... ERTL. :eek:

All Trek model production was axed immediately, except for the small "Legends of Star Trek" die-cast toy ships... which are actually plastic ships on metal stands. Now available, ripoff-priced gathering dust at comic book shops everywhere. :unsure

Technically there were two last Trek models that escaped after PL was bought... the Scorpion shuttle from "Nemesis" (the hell?) and the 1/1000 NX-01.

The death of Polar Lights is doubly tragic, because their NEXT kit was going to be a 1:350 K'Tinga Klingon ship from TMP. :cry

1:350 TOS Enterprise would eventually have followed, I'm sure. But oh well.

- Karl

Nailed it on the head. They were a great model company who listened to fans and made quality #1. At least we got the refit and some grea 1/1000 models before they died.

JDH

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 15 2005, 12:05 AM
Polar was bought by "Ertl/Racing Champions" last year I think it was. So now ironically these fantastic PL kits are now in the hands of... god help me... ERTL.  :eek:

All Trek model production was axed immediately, except for the small "Legends of Star Trek" die-cast toy ships... which are actually plastic ships on metal stands. Now available, ripoff-priced gathering dust at comic book shops everywhere. :unsure

Technically there were two last Trek models that escaped after PL was bought... the Scorpion shuttle from "Nemesis" (the hell?) and the 1/1000 NX-01.

The death of Polar Lights is doubly tragic, because their NEXT kit was going to be a 1:350 K'Tinga Klingon ship from TMP.  :cry

1:350 TOS Enterprise would eventually have followed, I'm sure. But oh well.

- Karl
[snapback]1136269[/snapback]​

You mention not spraying the interior Alclad Chrome because it would be too expensive... why not use Plastikote Bumper Chrome or similar? Just curious.

615_3X.jpg

- k

Mainly because I had no idea that such a product existed. LOL I will look into that.

Thanks
Greg

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 22 2005, 03:53 PM
You mention not spraying the interior Alclad Chrome because it would be too expensive... why not use Plastikote Bumper Chrome or similar? Just curious.

615_3X.jpg

- k
[snapback]1141775[/snapback]​

:lol

I tried it on a project a few years ago... seemed to work OK. Good enough for the inside of a model I would think.

- k

New Update today. Here are the pics. Havent added them to the build up yet

refit027.jpg

refit028.jpg

refit029.jpg

refit030.jpg

gloweffect.jpg

Last edited:
it is silver right now but I plan on going over it with a misting of white/green once I am done with all the detail work. So it will be a greenish white hue with sparkles :)

It is a shame though that it is not accurate because the silver really does compliment the model well

JDH

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 6 2006, 03:53 PM
Oooo.

Silver?  :confused

(or is that just an undercoat for the light to bounce off of...)
[snapback]1152550[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back