UPDATE: now VIDEO! and spy pics from Star Trek 2 set.. . SPOILERS!!!

Re: spy pics from Star Trek 2 set.. . SPOILERS!!!

In TOS you had the distinct impression that the crew respected Kirk not just because he was clever but because he was a person of integrity who could be relied upon and he cared about his crew. This new character has none of that persona.

Especially after such glorious moments when he openly shouts at Spock, assaults two security guards, and AGAIN comes back to insult Spock's emotions towards his mother. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the bridge thinks that maybe this idiot is also emotionally compromised considering all the crap he's doing to get Spock out of command. And what was Kirk going to do if he had taken out those two security guards? Was he going to force everyone to follow his orders at gun point? Now who's the emotionally compromised one?

Just because it makes sense doesn't make it any more tolerable. Kirk or not Kirk, he's still an a**hole. Even that scene with him eating an apple during the Kobayashi Maru wasn't meant to reference Star Trek II, it was used to make him look like a jerk. To think I actually thought it was kind of clever....
I thought it made him look like a cocky, arrogant ******* (to use Orange's apt description)... those type of people aren't tolerable to me, either.

But, I still feel Jim Kirk - from TOS or from JJ's Trek would come off as an arrogant, over confident ******* to me.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Kobayashi Maru not being a reference to Star Trek II - it's definitely a direct reference. And yeah, it made him look like a jerk - just as I think it was supposed to.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Kobayashi Maru not being a reference to Star Trek II - it's definitely a direct reference. And yeah, it made him look like a jerk - just as I think it was supposed to.

Listen to the commentary. Bob and Alex ask, JJ answers.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Kobayashi Maru not being a reference to Star Trek II - it's definitely a direct reference.

Listen to the commentary. Bob and Alex ask, JJ answers.

I listened to the commentary a while ago.

Sure it wasn't a direct reference. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Rolling my eyes at the arrogance of Abrams to actually think Kirk eating an apple during his Kobayashi Maru test isn't a nod to Star Trek II...

Where Kirk eats an apple while he just so happens to be discussing with Saavik how he beat the Kobayashi Maru, and just happens to say "I don't like to lose." before he confidently takes a bite of that apple.

attachment.php

JJ... please. :rolleyes

I like your movie now, but spare me if you think you can con me into believing you threw Kirk eating an apple in there for no reason other than it makes him look even more like an ass. :rolleyes

No they "never" watched a single episode of Star Trek. :rolleyes

Kevin

Maybe he's an android?

I wouldn't put it past JJ.

A lot of Kung-Fu attack/block/counter going on there. I just hope they don't go with the typical "camera too close/hyper editing" of fights scenes.

Kevin

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back