UPDATE: now VIDEO! and spy pics from Star Trek 2 set.. . SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by phase pistol, Feb 24, 2012.

1. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

Re: spy pics from Star Trek 2 set.. . SPOILERS!!!

i personally can live with both of those, the phaser dosnt offend me in the slightest and the uniform design 'makes sense' for the era. as for the film well if its like the first then i truley am lookin forward to it.... just hope they keep the non stop action going from start to end like the last!

good spot on those pics buddy.

3. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Those of course are before post production and Abrams gets their hands on them. This is what it will look like once Abrams is done:

[​IMG]

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm just glad they kept the same actor for Bones. He was the only one able fully pull off the character.

5. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I'm also glad to see Bruce Greenwood back.

6. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Any confirmation on Cumberbatch's character?

7. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

Maybe with all the sparkles it turns out that all the Enterprise crew are vampires?

8. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

There... fixed that for accuracy! [​IMG]

9. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Dang. I was hoping for a Wrath of Khan style uniform.

10. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the costumes and really happy they aren't changing them for every movie. Like so many franchises, producers feel the need to change established costumes and props to keep the continuations "fresh". I've always felt that costume changes don't keep the franchises fresh, the stories do.

11. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Sr Member

QFT!!!
    Mike

12. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

How can there be spoilers for Star Trek 2? That movie came out 30 years ago. ;)

Luckily the pics didn't spoil too much, as I didn't have the self control not to look. :lol
    Everything on the movie is looking fine so far to me.

13. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Wearing the Equipment Belt Ala TOS, and somebody is getting neck Pinched...Good, very good.

14. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I liked the costumes as well (although I don't care for the belt; sorry 0neiros :unsure).

I think it would be a bit too soon for a WOK uniform (it isn't even the 2270s yet). Although they could do whatever they please with the alternate timeline (Pike did have a TMP looking dress uniform at the end of Trek'09).

As for the villain... Sybok? Really?

We didn't get a "known" villain the first time around, I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a "brand new" villain this time as well.

Kevin

15. SmilingOtter

I missed it - where is it said that Sybok is in this one?

16. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I liked the costumes a lot and glad they seem to be keeping them for the most part - at least in these pics. They really make it feel like an alternate version of TOS. The villain (Cumberbatch) looks like he can give Spock quite a fight. Maybe he isn't quite human?

17. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

18. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

It was appearently the word on the street

See IGN articile: http://www.ign.com/articles/1219396

19. REdYOdA

REdYOdA New Member

Some more leaked set pics from the same shoot:

HERE[

20. phase pistol

SYBOK!? Are you s---ting me!? :lol

Nah it would be just like them to base the next movie on "the one Shatner directed." :rolleyes

You know.... As a "nod to the fans."

K

21. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

If he were Sybok, would he not have pointed ears? Looks to me to be rogue Starfleet officer, based on his clothing.

22. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Actually it was someone (a regular Joe like us) mentioning it in the comments section of the first link. "That" guy was just saying he "thought" it could be Sybok (not that it actually IS Sybok).

I guess this is how the rumour mill gets started huh? :lol

Kevin

23. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks like they are even keeping the same DKNY boots as before.

24. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

A guy at work was speculating that this might be based on "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
    He said he thinks it's going to be Gary Mitchell.

25. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I hope not. I just want one new story. Too much?

26. SmilingOtter

Well, Mitchell was on the short list Abrams released a while back as to who the villain would be. Other options were Harry Mudd, the Horta, and a few others IIRC.

27. phase pistol

"Where No Man" retread? Sure why not. They've already been to Delta Vega. :rolleyes

28. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Well, if that's case we should be in for at least 78 more movies! :lol

29. SmilingOtter

Could we skip "Spock's Brain?"

30. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Brain? Brain? What is brain?

Actually I could watch that all day long...

However "Way to Eden"... :sick

Kevin

31. phase pistol

Herbert! :p

32. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't mind the costumes (it's way too early for TWOK costumes anyway even if they are my favourite) and the phaser doesn't bother me. Just fix the Enterprise inside and out and don't make it an action film...

Star Trek can have action, but it's about exploration and discovery!

33. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

OK so we'll bring in V'ger and you can have 50 minutes of no action and just exploration.

34. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

The hype on this one is gonna be fun when it comes time for release. Can't wait to see what type of ad campaigns they have brewing up for this one.

Personally I am not offended by the look of the characters, costumes, settings etc. In fact I think most people have been way too sensitive about that stuff.
    However the content is a different story, and one that is worthy of being resisted. That worries me a little. Here's hoping they do something original and for Heaven's sake like Star Trek.
    I like JJ Abrams' films a lot, but I hope he can get a better sense of what Star Trek is actually about this time around.

Whatever the case...if this is anything like the previous one, when it comes out be ready to hear this comment made dozens of times:

"I'm not a Trekkie, but I like the new one."

35. Michael Bergeron

Perfect example of the balance that needs to be struck. TMP was bad for all the opposite reasons that Nu-Trek was bad.

Take TWOK as an example, GREAT film, GREAT Star Trek feel, but only three action scenes (from my recollection). The rest was unraveling a mystery, outwitting a foe, getting out of situations with brains instead of blasting away.

Gimme some Trek like that and I'm a happy camper. In the end you can keep the lens flares, the cartoony nacells, the silly engineering... Just give me good Trek storytelling.

36. JD

JD Master Member

Well, let's be honest here. Just because you didn't like a movie doesn't make it bad.

Star Trek (not Nu-Trek) was pretty highly rated by normal folks and critics. It gets 8.1 on the iMDB, a metascore of 83. Professional reviewers like Variety and the Washington Post give it a top score of 100. Entertainment Weekly and thew New York Times give it a 90.

By comparison, Star Trek: The Motion Picture gets a 6.1 on the iMDB. Unfortunately, similar reviews for it are not available... however, Ebert gave it 3 stars (he gave the 2009 Star Trek 2.5).

Again, Star Trek was a successful, well reviewed film. We can nitpick, call it names and generally dislike the film all we want... but, we can't take away the truths of it: well reviewed success or that it wasn't a bad film based on real professional reviews.

All that said, the film critics don't hold the series in such a high regard as those of us on the RPF might. While they might have the nostalgia factor, they aren't as in tuned to the mythos as we might be. Frankly, if more of us where able to turn that off a bit and sit back and watch things for what they are, rather than nitpick it... well, we might all be a little better off.

Personally, I found the overall plot of latest Star Trek film to be rushed and simply an excuse to get us the characters we all know and love in place. The movie wasn't about Romulans or about Nero - it was about Kirk, Spock and McCoy - the plot was simply the device to see our heroes and set up the next film(s).

My personal tastes are that storywise and characterwise, I like the new film pretty much over just about all the other Trek flicks - outside of Wrath of Khan (simply because without looking them, I don't really remember what Trek 5 and up where about - outside of the actors, they're just not really memorable movies). However, no one in the new Trek is Shatner or Nimoy or Kelley or Doohan or etc. They bring those characters to like - because I've known them as Kirk and the rest for my entire life. They're just those characters - maybe one day Chris Pine will also be Jim Kirk in the same way Shatner is Jim Kirk (to some, he will never be the same Kirk - and I really don't like Pine as Kirk... but maybe he'll grown into it).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  37. Michael Bergeron

Yes, I should have said it's a bad movie "in my opinion". Star Trek 2, 4, and 6 are the memorable ones, particularly 2 & 6 are great films that really get the feel of Trek.

I completely agree, the problem being that they set them up all wrong according to the mythos. The whole "alternative timeline" was a cheap trick they used to be able to create something entirely new. Cadets running the Enterprise is ridiculous and although they didn't do too much harm to most characters they KILLED Kirk for me. JJ's Kirk is a jacka$$.

Interesting take, Star Trek 6 was an AWESOME and memorable character story about reconciliation (IMO) whereas aside from a few glaring things that made me dislike the new film I found it entirely forgettable.

38. JD

JD Master Member

I disliked Star Trek IV - it kinda baffles me why people like this one so much. I guess it's the characters - because the whole time travel with whales just made me dislike this movie way back when I saw it a million years ago... and to this day - it's fun, but it's silly.

They needed a way to reboot the franchise and they tried to do it without completely alienating the past... I understand why they created the alternate universe, it's a way to keep the old Kirk and company alive and not totally disregard the past.

Would've it been better to just relaunch Star Trek with a more modern approach and just totally disregard the past Trek?

...and I really think a young James Kirk would've been an arrogant jackass (in either universe). Add in that he lost his Dad and had a jerk of a step-Dad and he probably would've been an even bigger asshat.

39. Michael Bergeron

I didn't say it was great, just memorable. ;) It's fun, it reminds me of TOS episodes where they were in similar situations (Gangster world for instance) it's fun to see them outside their element. The movie itself was okay, but definitely memorable.

No, but I don't think you need an alternate history in order to do early Trek justice. I would have much preferred it to be as the back story was in TOS, Kirk as a studious book worm with a set of strong principles who becomes the dashing ladies man we know and love from the series. The new film threw him in right away as guy who didn't take anything seriously and was always chasing tail. That's not Kirk.

Arrogant? Ya, probably. Jacka$$? Not according to TOS, which was what I was hoping they would stick to. In TOS there are mentions of his career prior to being captain of the Enterprise that would make for a very interesting set of films with a brash young Kirk developing into what it takes to become captain.

Actually you bring up something that made me more upset than anything else in that film. Kirk's dad dying. When Spock said "Your dad lived to see you captain the Enterprise and was the reason you got into Starfleet" it made me outright angry. You DO NOT kill off Kirk's dad and then end up with the same character. That's why he's an asshat and that's why I don't like this version of the character. In TOS you had the distinct impression that the crew respected Kirk not just because he was clever but because he was a person of integrity who could be relied upon and he cared about his crew. This new character has none of that persona.

In summary I guess it just didn't feel like Trek to me. If I had little/no prior knowledge of the franchise I probably would have liked it, and many in that situation did, it's certainly not bad sci-fi. So far as a Star Trek film though I think it's a bad movie that does a disservice characters that have been developed over 40 years.

40. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Just because it makes sense doesn't make it any more tolerable. Kirk or not Kirk, he's still an a**hole. Even that scene with him eating an apple during the Kobayashi Maru wasn't meant to reference Star Trek II, it was used to make him look like a jerk. To think I actually thought it was kind of clever....

41. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Especially after such glorious moments when he openly shouts at Spock, assaults two security guards, and AGAIN comes back to insult Spock's emotions towards his mother. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the bridge thinks that maybe this idiot is also emotionally compromised considering all the crap he's doing to get Spock out of command. And what was Kirk going to do if he had taken out those two security guards? Was he going to force everyone to follow his orders at gun point? Now who's the emotionally compromised one?

42. JD

JD Master Member

I thought it made him look like a cocky, arrogant jackass (to use Orange's apt description)... those type of people aren't tolerable to me, either.

But, I still feel Jim Kirk - from TOS or from JJ's Trek would come off as an arrogant, over confident jackass to me.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Kobayashi Maru not being a reference to Star Trek II - it's definitely a direct reference. And yeah, it made him look like a jerk - just as I think it was supposed to.

43. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Listen to the commentary. Bob and Alex ask, JJ answers.

44. phase pistol

45. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Spock gets owned!

46. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Who says this guy is Human? May be why Spock is getting a Whuppin.

47. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I listened to the commentary a while ago.

Sure it wasn't a direct reference. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Rolling my eyes at the arrogance of Abrams to actually think Kirk eating an apple during his Kobayashi Maru test isn't a nod to Star Trek II...

Where Kirk eats an apple while he just so happens to be discussing with Saavik how he beat the Kobayashi Maru, and just happens to say "I don't like to lose." before he confidently takes a bite of that apple.

[​IMG]

JJ... please. :rolleyes

I like your movie now, but spare me if you think you can con me into believing you threw Kirk eating an apple in there for no reason other than it makes him look even more like an *. :rolleyes

No they "never" watched a single episode of Star Trek. :rolleyes

Kevin

48. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Aren't the guys who wrote nutrek also the ones who butchered Transformers?

49. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Yeah, it looks like Spock tries to give him the Vulcan pinch, and the guy just shakes it off?

50. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Maybe he's an android?

I wouldn't put it past JJ.

A lot of Kung-Fu attack/block/counter going on there. I just hope they don't go with the typical "camera too close/hyper editing" of fights scenes.

Kevin