UPDATE!My new vintage HDPE trooper bucket UPDATE!!

gizmo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A short while ago I had the luck of picking up a copy of TE`s first helmet from his first run in 2002.I was even luckier that it was in kit form and has all the original lumps and bumps.

I decided I wanted to go all out original on this so I painted it a decent HDPE color first.

hdpe.jpg

Next I decided to paint it with house paint which I sprayed on thick and sloppy.I beleive that the originals were sprayed because there`s alot of evidence of this in photo`s of the originals especially the new sandtroopers that turned up.I decided not to go for a specific trooper helmet but more a general look of a chipped and beaten screen-used trooper.If you look closely you will see many runs in the paint.

All details were hand painted by me including the tube stripes which I decided to go more with the look of TE`s first helmet which this was derived from.That is with less stripes each side.Once painted and weathered for a screen-used look I added Keiths beutiful mic tips which I also weathered.

14.jpg

13_1.jpg

11_5.jpg

8_6.jpg

Here`s a couple more shots showing the interior.I painted the inside grey with touches of pink like the originals and added accurate foam padding and accurate chin straps.Please note that I had to use a flash in this shot and it makes the HDPE color look a little greener than it actually is.In real life it looks pretty accurate.

2_29.jpg

1_43.jpg

And finally a shot of the beutiful bumpy cap and back.

16_1.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to Whackychimp for hosting.

Ben

I like it, not to overdone for a custom job and very authentic looking. Also love the detail on the inside. I would be proud to display a helmet like that.

You've done a great job on that helmet Ben.

I like all the paint runs and roughness,just like the originals.My only concern is those tube stripes seem a bit too thick and lack of them,other than that it's superb :thumbsup

-Paul.

PS.Where did you get that foam from?We can only get blue stuff here in the UK.

Great work. Looks really authentic.

Where did you get the materials for the chin strap and the foam?

Here is my attempt:

aaaaaaaaaaaesb0032qf.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.I really appreciate them. :)

Dark Side I love that helmet you did.Very nice.

Paul and Dark Side,I looked everywhere for the right color foam and couldn`t find any.After I`d given up I found a rip in a cushion on an old chair of mine.To my suprise it was the perfect match color and thickness.Aged for years as well.So after all the serching I did the perfect source was right under my ass,literally :lol

As for the chin straps I got them from my local craft shop.All it is is a length of the right size elastic and then added some button fasteners.It`s a 5 minute job once you find the right size.

As for the tube stripes I was trying for the look of TE`s first helmet which only has 9 or 10 each side.It`s my first attempt at painting my own and will do better next time. :thumbsup

Thanks again for the comments.
Ben

The tube stripes can be a pain to get right but they are OK :)

Do you know,I almost got some foam from an old sofa I saw at the tip (dump) the other week.I knew I should have got it :p

I remember the guy at the haberdashery saying something like the yellow foam is no safe to use for upholstery anymore as it is not fire retardent,or something like that.All they sell now is this blue stuff which is no good for our trooper helmets :angry

Oh well,back to the tip :unsure

-Paul.

Very nice helmets guys

The attention to detail is superb.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Gizmo what paint did you use for the HDPE colour?

Did you paint the helmet white below the ear caps or leave them HDPE (like the 'move along' and 'stop that ship' helmets)?

Cheers Chris.

SPLENDID.

Looks craptaccurate.

So what do you use for the neck trim? It looks dead on.

Funny you mention the foam thing beacause the same story happened to me , I realized I had the perfect match right under my arrrse :lol

I'm stabing all my friends old chairs now "hey can I have this. What for? You'll never believe me"

The hardest thing 4 me is to get the right shape with the foam.

Cheers

Originally posted by gizmo@Feb 19 2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.I really appreciate them. :)

Dark Side I love that helmet you did.Very nice.

Paul and Dark Side,I looked everywhere for the right color foam and couldn`t find any.After I`d given up I found a rip in a cushion on an old chair of mine.To my suprise it was the perfect match color and thickness.Aged for years as well.So after all the serching I did the perfect source was right under my ass,literally :lol

As for the chin straps I got them from my local craft shop.All it is is a length of the right size elastic and then added some button fasteners.It`s a 5 minute job once you find the right size.

As for the tube stripes I was trying for the look of TE`s first helmet which only has 9 or 10 each side.It`s my first attempt at painting my own and will do better next time. :thumbsup

Thanks again for the comments.
Ben
[snapback]1188186[/snapback]​

that is hillarious about the foam.

hey she may not look like much but shes got it where it counts kid. ;)

seriously did you steal that from the archives? :love looks great.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back