Interest Unused Concept Voyager Tricorder - SECOND RUN INTEREST

MangyDog

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all,
You may have seen my thread on the build of the V2 concept tricorder.

I also recently released 3 videos covering its build and development
and

Over the last couple of months I have been working to make a small run of builds. I have done some more designs to make the electronics and chassis more robust and also easier to build.

I have several buyers already, but a few have dropped out so I have 3 slots immediately available with a potential to push for another 4 on top of that.

I would at least really like to fill up these last 2 or 3 slots, as all my immediate costs were calculated for that initial run amount. Anything above that would be a bonus.

Time frame. I have told people my plan is to have the builds all completed by September. But to expect winter at the latest. But I do hope to have them completed sooner.

There are a few major changes to the design.
One change is to the exterior chassis. The buttons will no longer be recessed but instead would have more traditional flat decals.
This is done to make the vinyl decals more robust, as previously the decals ended up being 1 or 2 mm thin when they framed some of the recessed buttons, and I am worried about them delaminating. The change to make the buttons flat and as part of a larger decal will correct this.

The second major change is the power system inside the tricorder. I have reworked the electronics to predominantly work on 3V. This would help save power and reduce waste on having to use LDO to give the majority of 3V. In all this should mean a longer battery life.

Also the charger circuit has also been changed. Again this should provide a faster yet safe charging system than the previous version.

Along with the new power system is a new way to turn on the tricorder.
It would be more like a smart phone, the PWR button on the front of the tricorder will be used to start up the device and there will be a software shutdown control to power it off. This means you will only need to open the back access panel to charge the tricorder and or to change it to display mode and to turn on or off the sound effects.

The battery will also be more easy to replace when the LIPO cell fades.

As for price.
I am asking for £1600 total(+ Postage and Packing, roughly £20 for Royal Mail to US) . This will be split into 2 payments.

Firstly I would ask for a deposit £100. This deposit is non-refundable as it would be used to pay for materials. This is also a commitment to pay for the Tricorder once the build is complete.

You will then make a second payment of £1500 on completion to receive your Tricorder.

Please be aware. On completion, you will have a 6 month window to make the final payment. After 6 months I will reserve the right to sell your build to another person, and you will loose your prop and deposit.
This is done to stop any endless delays, and I hope you agree that 6 months is a fair window. But I recommend you either have most if not all the funds available when you make your deposit so not to fall fowl of this.

I am offering two payment options.
This final price is calculated with PayPal in mind. So if you wish to use PayPal you can.

But I prefer payments to be made via wise.com .
I have a promotional link that not only offers me a small kick back when people sign up through it, it also has vastly better exchange rates and smaller fees. And they also offer 500GBP fee free transfer. Contact me for the link if you want to pay via this.

One final note. I am in the UK and all my prices are in GREAT BRITISH POUNDS and NOT USD. This is why wise.com I feel is the better choice.
You will be responsible for any import fees that may happen.

I hope these final terms are reasonable and fair.

Contact me if you wish to buy one :)

Thank you

I am currently not taking on more orders on the current run.
However I will do another run at some point if theres enough interest.
If youre interested in a second run please show your interest here...

Thanks
:)

Hi all, things are very disrupted for me at home right now, if you follow me on twitter you know the details...

The first run of tricorders should soon be finished. (within the next few weeks)

Because of the state of the UK and the cost of living crisis, also because even though I made design changes to try and simplify the build. The tricorders still take a lot of work to make.

I will have to increase the price, I will be looking for around £2000 when I can do the second run.

Still if you are interested, please leave your mark in this thread and ill contact you when the time comes.

Thank you.

Hi all, for those waiting for me to start another run. Heres whats going on.
Firstly a small let down, I wont be able to start another run this year. I hope to start another early next year.

Heres whats going on right now for me and I think youll all understand why the delay, as well as to why theres not been a lot of new content on my YT channel.

First things first the worst of the news. My dad has terminal cancer, and is now receiving palliative care. I am also helping care for him.
We are going to loose him and I fear fairly soon. On top of that, we are also loosing our family home. So I am also having to deal with an impending move and house hunting.

This has of course pilled onto my mental health problems (depression anxiety ect...)

And also the last run which has mostly been complete save for two builds that I'm still finishing off, has utterly burnt me out.

Because of all the above, I'm taking a break from building tricorders to focus on family, but also to put some time into other projects. As I need that change.

So while I am taking this break, I have indeed received enough interest to do another run, but it will have to be next year.
I realise this is a long time to wait. But I just cant see how I can start another run in this time.

When I'm ready I promise I will contact you all through here, or via private means if you given me that information.
One other thing to note, the next build will be a tweaked and improved design. Outwardly identical to the last build. But internally tweaked to make it a little easier to build.
Apart from PCB corrections (there are a few little design mistakes on the last run that needed hotwire fixes.) I will be adding a Serial over power method to have communication between the door microcontroller and the main one. This would mean I can use off the shelf brass hinges rather than having to fabricate them myself. This on one hand increases the BOM but saves me tons of work.

One other note, I will only be taking payments through wise.com from now on. I have an affiliate link you can sign up through if you want to.
Signing up through this would be appreciated as I get a little kick back when 3 people send 500 or more through it, which is always helpful for me.

But I wont be taking payments through paypal any more as paypals fees are far to high, and this hits extra hard when handling international payments. Specifically USD to GBP (Im in the UK). This is why I will be insisting on wise. It should be noted paying through wise will also be cheaper for you as well, as wises USD-GBP rates are far better than paypals. But I wanted to be transparent about that from the get go.

Anyway, hope the news of the delay isnt too disheartening. It will happen I promise :)

Hi all, for those waiting for me to start another run. Heres whats going on.
Firstly a small let down, I wont be able to start another run this year. I hope to start another early next year.

Heres whats going on right now for me and I think youll all understand why the delay, as well as to why theres not been a lot of new content on my YT channel.

First things first the worst of the news. My dad has terminal cancer, and is now receiving palliative care. I am also helping care for him.
We are going to loose him and I fear fairly soon. On top of that, we are also loosing our family home. So I am also having to deal with an impending move and house hunting.

This has of course pilled onto my mental health problems (depression anxiety ect...)

And also the last run which has mostly been complete save for two builds that I'm still finishing off, has utterly burnt me out.

Because of all the above, I'm taking a break from building tricorders to focus on family, but also to put some time into other projects. As I need that change.

So while I am taking this break, I have indeed received enough interest to do another run, but it will have to be next year.
I realise this is a long time to wait. But I just cant see how I can start another run in this time.

When I'm ready I promise I will contact you all through here, or via private means if you given me that information.
One other thing to note, the next build will be a tweaked and improved design. Outwardly identical to the last build. But internally tweaked to make it a little easier to build.
Apart from PCB corrections (there are a few little design mistakes on the last run that needed hotwire fixes.) I will be adding a Serial over power method to have communication between the door microcontroller and the main one. This would mean I can use off the shelf brass hinges rather than having to fabricate them myself. This on one hand increases the BOM but saves me tons of work.

One other note, I will only be taking payments through wise.com from now on. I have an affiliate link you can sign up through if you want to.
Signing up through this would be appreciated as I get a little kick back when 3 people send 500 or more through it, which is always helpful for me.

But I wont be taking payments through paypal any more as paypals fees are far to high, and this hits extra hard when handling international payments. Specifically USD to GBP (Im in the UK). This is why I will be insisting on wise. It should be noted paying through wise will also be cheaper for you as well, as wises USD-GBP rates are far better than paypals. But I wanted to be transparent about that from the get go.

Anyway, hope the news of the delay isnt too disheartening. It will happen I promise :)
So very sorry to hear of your family issues with your father and home. I wish you well in getting through these difficult times.

Please add me to an upcoming production run of the Voyager Tricorder. I’ll be patient whenever you’re able.

Hey Sorry about your dad, i lost my dad a while ago too and i remember what a mess it made of my mental health.
Just wanted to say your work on the Tricorder is incredible, If you do decide on a second run please count me in as interested.

I am so sorry to hear of your challenges. Wishing you peace. Please ADD me to the list as I’m interested in your next run of tricorders Pls.
Thanks.

Hi there, love your work and attention to detail, I'm very interested in getting one of your tricorders so if you do another run of them please add me to the list

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back