Unobtanium

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Years back when their site was still active I failed to copy the pictures that were posted of the Ultimate Enterprise. I have the ones from the Standard and the Deluxe version. Did anyone copy those before they sold out? I'd like the actual images from UA but if someone has others they would like to post as well...

Is this what you are looking for? I have a bunch of pics, but do not have them labeled.

a01_frnt2.jpg

Originally posted by stingray@Mar 14 2006, 05:14 PM
Is this what you are looking for?  I have a bunch of pics, but do not have them labeled. 

I would love any pictures you'd be willing to share. I'll PM with my email addy. Is this yours? How's it holding up?

Originally posted by The Plasma Infusion@Mar 14 2006, 07:24 PM
Hey Dave,

Have you tried to check their site through here:

http://web.archive.org

You need to enter their old web address if you have it?
It's very helpfull for just this situation.... though tempermental sometimes :p

Good Luck,
-Bill P.
[snapback]1205958[/snapback]​

Thanks Bill, part of the site is archived but virtually none of the linked images. Apprecate the info 'tho.

[edit: oops, I guess you meant the "Ultimate" deluxe lit edition of the model. Well I'll just subject you to my pix anyway. :D]

*Sigh* You're gonna make me relive this awful nightmare AGAIN, are you? :lol

Well OK... here's how it looked fresh out of the box, in May 2002 (there's already some sag going on...)

montage5.jpg

And here's how it looked in August 2003: cracking, MAJOR sagging, and oily liquid weeping from the plastic, disintegrating the paint... :confused

ue-rtside-081603.jpg

ue-paint2-081503.jpg

lots more pix

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/ue-0803/index.htm

Here's the one pic I could find from their site... the proud model makers...

team_shot.jpg

- k

Originally posted by rad1701@Mar 15 2006, 05:24 PM
I sure hope Master Replicas comes through for us on a new, proper TOS Enterprise.
[snapback]1206525[/snapback]​

Well I don't see how they could POSSIBLY do any worse than Unobtainium, at least. :lol

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol+Mar 15 2006, 03:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Mar 15 2006, 03:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rad1701
@Mar 15 2006, 05:24 PM
I sure hope Master Replicas comes through for us on a new, proper TOS Enterprise.
[snapback]1206525[/snapback]​

Well I don't see how they could POSSIBLY do any worse than Unobtainium, at least. :lol

- k
[snapback]1206530[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks Karl.

Well, from all the pictures I've seen of the models they sold, I'm impressed with the modeling accuracy. Too bad the quality control for structure, resin and paint wasn't to the same level.

I certainly hope that the MR TOS Enterprise exceeds our expectations but I'll be happy not seeing any of the pitfalls that occurred with the UA models. Unfortunately MR seems to be suffering from a blight of quality control issues as well as some customer service issues. Bitten off too much? I really do want to get one though.

The Master replicas models have been pretty fantastic, with the exception of the nautilus bent tail sections which are quite fixable.

My understanding is that Unobtanium decided to cut back on the construction design and engineering in the Enterprise model for cost reasons.

The only problem with the newest Enterprise coming out is that it seems from what MR posted with the likes of the Vader helmet, their track record sucks lately. Master Replicas has made a lot of mistakes this year and you have to wonder what changed to make those mistakes occur.
Lets hope that they emphasize quality and control for this model as its delicate enough that such QC is a must. MR's other models have maitained a great quality, I think they will do so on this one as well if they have learned anything from their latest QC standards from other projects flopping up so badly.

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Mar 15 2006, 05:41 PM
Well, from all the pictures I've seen of the models they sold, I'm impressed with the modeling accuracy

Well... don't be. :lol

It's not supremely accurate... probably the worst problem is the neck dorsal connecting the saucer to the Engineering section; it's too long and narrow. This results in the saucer being held too high, and makes the overall length too long.

Also the nacelle endcap domes are too shallow. The tube sticking out of the lower planetary sensor dome (they call it a "photon torpedo emitter") is not present on the original miniature (tho there is a red dot at that location). Probably more is wrong, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

- K

For someone like me who has little modeling skills... The UA looked pretty damn good. At the time I wasn't in a position to make a large purchase as those required. Although I have no idea what the MR version will cost.

I made screen caps of the UA site a few years back, before they closed up and made these "one-page" caps of the Star Trek, MiB and the Spiderman sections. Here's the ST page.

UA_StarTrek.jpg

Which one of those guys in the family photo is Rick C. ?

...of all the times I spoke with him I never met the guy in person.

Is the black guy, Barry?

Wow......one of the two guys in the front of that picture was running (maybe owner) of Global Effects.

We had a SoCal prop party at his shop. I didn't know he was involved with Unobtanium.

Interesting.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Mar 16 2006, 07:18 AM
Here's the one pic I could find from their site... the proud model makers...
Not one female among them?

No wonder they called the company "Unobtanium Limited." :p

I'm glad I had to pass on the Unobitanium Enterprise.
I could not justify the outlay of the money for the purchase at the time.

But I am sorry for those collectors who got shafted by Unobitanium.

Bye for now
Al

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back