Unobtanium

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SurferGeek, Mar 13, 2006.

1. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Years back when their site was still active I failed to copy the pictures that were posted of the Ultimate Enterprise. I have the ones from the Standard and the Deluxe version. Did anyone copy those before they sold out? I'd like the actual images from UA but if someone has others they would like to post as well...

2. stingray

stingray Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is this what you are looking for? I have a bunch of pics, but do not have them labeled.

[​IMG]

3. SurferGeek

I would love any pictures you'd be willing to share. I'll PM with my email addy. Is this yours? How's it holding up?

4. The Plasma Infusion

The Plasma Infusion New Member

Hey Dave,

Have you tried to check their site through here:

http://web.archive.org

You need to enter their old web address if you have it?
    It's very helpfull for just this situation.... though tempermental sometimes :p

Good Luck,
    -Bill P.

5. SurferGeek

Thanks Bill, part of the site is archived but virtually none of the linked images. Apprecate the info 'tho.

6. USSCassiopeia

USSCassiopeia Active Member

I'd like to see more of that ship, too :)

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[edit: oops, I guess you meant the "Ultimate" deluxe lit edition of the model. Well I'll just subject you to my pix anyway. :D]

*Sigh* You're gonna make me relive this awful nightmare AGAIN, are you? :lol

Well OK... here's how it looked fresh out of the box, in May 2002 (there's already some sag going on...)

[​IMG]

And here's how it looked in August 2003: cracking, MAJOR sagging, and oily liquid weeping from the plastic, disintegrating the paint... :confused

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots more pix

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/ue-0803/index.htm

Here's the one pic I could find from their site... the proud model makers...

[​IMG]

- k

8. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I sure hope Master Replicas comes through for us on a new, proper TOS Enterprise.

9. phase pistol

Well I don't see how they could POSSIBLY do any worse than Unobtainium, at least. :lol

- k

10. SurferGeek

Thanks Karl.

Well, from all the pictures I've seen of the models they sold, I'm impressed with the modeling accuracy. Too bad the quality control for structure, resin and paint wasn't to the same level.

I certainly hope that the MR TOS Enterprise exceeds our expectations but I'll be happy not seeing any of the pitfalls that occurred with the UA models. Unfortunately MR seems to be suffering from a blight of quality control issues as well as some customer service issues. Bitten off too much? I really do want to get one though.

11. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Master replicas models have been pretty fantastic, with the exception of the nautilus bent tail sections which are quite fixable.

My understanding is that Unobtanium decided to cut back on the construction design and engineering in the Enterprise model for cost reasons.

The only problem with the newest Enterprise coming out is that it seems from what MR posted with the likes of the Vader helmet, their track record sucks lately. Master Replicas has made a lot of mistakes this year and you have to wonder what changed to make those mistakes occur.
    Lets hope that they emphasize quality and control for this model as its delicate enough that such QC is a must. MR's other models have maitained a great quality, I think they will do so on this one as well if they have learned anything from their latest QC standards from other projects flopping up so badly.

12. phase pistol

Well... don't be. :lol

It's not supremely accurate... probably the worst problem is the neck dorsal connecting the saucer to the Engineering section; it's too long and narrow. This results in the saucer being held too high, and makes the overall length too long.

Also the nacelle endcap domes are too shallow. The tube sticking out of the lower planetary sensor dome (they call it a "photon torpedo emitter") is not present on the original miniature (tho there is a red dot at that location). Probably more is wrong, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

- K

13. SurferGeek

For someone like me who has little modeling skills... The UA looked pretty * good. At the time I wasn't in a position to make a large purchase as those required. Although I have no idea what the MR version will cost.

I made screen caps of the UA site a few years back, before they closed up and made these "one-page" caps of the Star Trek, MiB and the Spiderman sections. Here's the ST page.

[​IMG]

14. USSCassiopeia

USSCassiopeia Active Member

That is a shame how that ship deteriorated like that, Karl... but she was beautiful right out of the box.

15. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Which one of those guys in the family photo is Rick C. ?

...of all the times I spoke with him I never met the guy in person.

Is the black guy, Barry?

16. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Karl do you still own yours? Ever thought of trying to repair her?

17. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Wow......one of the two guys in the front of that picture was running (maybe owner) of Global Effects.

We had a SoCal prop party at his shop. I didn't know he was involved with Unobtanium.

Interesting.

18. Mr. E Man

Mr. E Man Well-Known Member

The guy in the front of the group photo (screen left) is Rick Cigel.

E

19. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not one female among them?

No wonder they called the company "Unobtanium Limited." :p

20. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I'm glad I had to pass on the Unobitanium Enterprise.
    I could not justify the outlay of the money for the purchase at the time.

But I am sorry for those collectors who got shafted by Unobitanium.

Bye for now
    Al

21. anubispro

anubispro Well-Known Member

["Here's the one pic I could find from their site... the proud model makers... ""]

And they should be proud. Those of you that know, can see some heavy-hitters in there. BTW, Thats Randy Cooper in back on the right in the red shirt holding the "E".

What happened at "Unbelievebum" was not due to lack of talent on the model-makers part. Lets just say that there were "leadership issues".
    Decisions were made , totaly against what the sculptors and mfg's thought was best, some cost-saving, some just plain dumb.

22. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Yeah, that's Randy, and he should hang his head in shame for having his name associated with that fiasco... (then again, he's not known for picking his friends and employers too wisely). ;)

And who might you be, Mr. Anubis Productions?

- Gabe

23. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Can we ID these guys? Not to hunt them down or anything. They did some fine work. Nice to put a face to a name. Not their fault the compnay was mismanaged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. Rick Cagel
    2. (Guy from Global Effects) Chris Gilman?
    4. (This guy looks familar)
    10. Bear Burge
    20. Randy Cooper

Any members here?

24. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

#13 is Yaphet Kotto, of course. :D

[​IMG]

25. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

I wonder who's holding my second hand deluxe model that now has a 1/8" crack and weeping paint job?

If anyone is interested, I still have Barry Battle's voicemail about the "insurance fund" compensation I would soon be getting for the $834 that I paid for one never delivered standard model.

26. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. Andy Meyers (I worked with both him and Randy Cooper on Spider-Man 2)

There are a couple other guys that look vaguely familiar, but I can't place them, and I certainly can't recall any names...

27. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

So.....
    Are they going to be making a studio scale Enterprise then?
    The 14 footer I hope ;) :lol

28. phase pistol

Well it's not like they have to repopulate the Earth or something. :lol

Yeah, Cigel, that's the guy.

I don't know the full story, but Cigel was the guy in charge, and decisions were made, corners were cut, and the resulting model (most of them) had really crappy substandard materials, and no internal support armature. I'd call that a major frak-up. :unsure

Also the model was shipped in ONE PIECE, floating in a sea of styro peanuts, inside a huge box. :thumbsdown

[​IMG]

It might have looked OK initially, but the defects go to the core. The model was destined to self-destruct. I know of one person who owns an Ultimate lit version, and who says it hasn't disintegrated. So there were a few lucky ones.

Anyway, yeah studio-scale from Master Replicas. That's the one to watch. No photos or info have been released yet, so we wait. (and yes "studio-scale" is the correct term, since there was indeed a three-foot miniature that appears in the show).

[​IMG]

- k

29. anubispro

[ Yeah, that's Randy, and he should hang his head in shame for having his name associated with that fiasco... (then again, he's not known for picking his friends and employers too wisely).

And who might you be, Mr. Anubis Productions?- Gabe ]

I might be Mr. Dave Barkovitz. Why? Am I yet another friend he has (in your opinion) not wisely chosen?

30. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Now where did I imply that, David? :p

Consider that as a 2-post newbie (welcome to the RPF, by thw way.), you pop in and provide inside industry information and select a board name associated with an outfit co-founded by the notorious PF - a permanently banned member, in case you were not aware - that certainly raises some eyebrows around here. :love

But thanks for clearing up the mystery, and I look forward to learning more about your industry experience, portfolio, and skills sets. :)

- Gabe

P.S. Do you plan to resurrect Anubis Productions now that PF has resettled in Kun-ta-kee? ;) From what I recall, you guys made some pretty nice bootleg kits. The spinner was always a personal favorite of mine. :thumbsup

31. anubispro

[Now where did I imply that, David? ]

Nowhere, I guess. I get a little gunshy, because I often catch flak just because I am a friend of PF, Thought maybe it was yet another such jab....sorry.

[Consider that as a 2-post newbie (welcome to the RPF, by thw way.), you pop in and provide inside industry information and select a board name associated with an outfit co-founded by the notorious PF - a permanently banned member, in case you were not aware - that certainly raises some eyebrows around here.
    But thanks for clearing up the mystery, and I look forward to learning more about your industry experience, portfolio, and skills sets]

WOHA, there. Hold the phone a minute. Anubis Productions,..CO-FOUNDED by PF,..?????????????????????

"I" started AP back in 1991,..PF came to work for me around 1997 or 98.
    How is that co-founding?

I don't keep track of PF's banishments, but would have chimed in all the same.
    I certainly wasn't aware that my board name was "raising eyebrows".

You can see my "industry" experience on the IMDB, I have many years of "other" modeling experiences as well.
    Ironicaly, I was interviewed by Chris Gilman to be a shop lead-person,..but another gig came my way. I would probably have been on the "Enterprise" project.
    I had to hear about the horror-stories almost every day from Randy. So glad I missed that job.

Yes, both Randy and I have been unfortunate enough to work for "less-than-upright" people. Its just one of the hazards. You take the jobs as they come.

I am sorry for the end customers. It is they who get the shaft.
    But the artists have little or no control over that, (and often end up working the last few weeks for free).

[P.S. Do you plan to resurrect Anubis Productions now that PF has resettled in Kun-ta-kee? From what I recall, you guys made some pretty nice bootleg kits. The spinner was always a personal favorite of mine. ]

Thanks.
    "I" have re-issued the JQ Robot Spyder a few years ago. Have considered getting back into it slowly. Who knows.
    BTW, PF is not in KY. ;)

32. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Oops. My bad: I meant Tenn-ah-CEE. :p

Well, PF always boasted how he co-founded Anubis or was a partner in it, so forgive me if my information is inaccurate. We've all been "touched" by PF in one way or another, so it's hard not to judge a stranger by the company they keep unless they're already known entities with well-known reputations that wouldn't suffer guilt by association (which is why I'm glad you came forward). If PF is your friend, I'm sure he's earned the right to be called one. :)

And I appreciate your forthrightness on the nature of the industry - it harbors many unscrupulous characters who only know how to manipulate and exploit, and unfortunately prey on innocent artisans as well as customers. I just hope that it doesn't take too bany times getting burned to wise up... :unsure

You have a very impressive filmography, David, I'd love to see photos of your JQ Robot Spyder, if you dont mind posting a couple. What are your immediate or impending projects?

Best,

- Gabe

33. lmgill

lmgill Sr Member

Yeah, I understand it only cost Chris Gilman $280,000 to be involved in that deal.

34. anubispro

>>"Yeah, I understand it only cost Chris Gilman $280,000 to be involved in that deal. "<<

...And I heard that there were some bad "command" desisions made, i.e. cheap resin, etc. that may have led to such a disaster. Never the less, I wasn't there in person and don't want to go down this road. I was just saying lets not put it off on the artists.
    BTW, I did not intend to include Chris Gilman in the "less-than-upright" category either, I don't know him well enough for that.

Gabe, thanx.
    I don't have any real "interesting" impending projects that I can show off at the moment. I have kicked around the idea of bringing back Anubis as a real entity again, but not done too much yet. There are some pics of the spyder at my site ( dabar1.com ) I hope to get some pages up that show off my props and models soon,...I have actyually been working on it,..I swear. :angel

35. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

I remember PF telling people he owned Anubis.

As I recall he was really a partner...but perhaps that was the arrangement he had with DaBar Enterprises which was under the same roof.

36. anubispro

>>"I remember PF telling people he owned Anubis.
    As I recall he was really a partner...but perhaps that was the arrangement he had with DaBar Enterprises which was under the same roof. "<<

Thats more like it.
    He came to work for me and soon was made a partner of DaBar Ent. He also was instrumental in convincing me to bring back Anubis from the underworld.
    He was the driving force behind some of our best sellers, like the BR Spinner.

37. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

I heard he had....uh....an incident with the Cherokee Nation recently.

38. anubispro

????? Ya got me.
    I just spoke with him recently and he didn't mention any indian attacks.

39. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

40. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

41. michael

michael New Member

I bought and paid for an Ultimate ship. I did get all my money back from my credit card co. I own this sagging, sad ship. I got it handed to me in person at a Seatle Creation con, by Chris Gilman. My ship still lights, and has sound, along w/ Shatner's sig.
    I do have an old email w/ many shots (jpgs) of my ship brand new, if anyone wants me to forward it to them.
    I still wow at the l.e.d. chase effect nacelle feature, and lighting. Love the sound too.
    With all it's flaws, I still enjoy it lit at night. I also have the orig. website photos/text descriptions printed out and archived in a binder.
    Yes, and Gilman's company also took a hit from UNOBTAIN.'s bankruptsy, as he was a co-singer for the loan and he got stuck w/ using his companies profits to fend off customers trying to recoup from Cigel, who fled.
    I have an audio copy of the actual court hearing of debt discharge and 1 former customer who brought his failing ship with him and spoke up calling Rick on his obvious deceit, disception and damning gaul to continue to accept credit card payments way past his ability to ship product, or make good on bad ships sent out..and his never realized regroup to ship replacements made w/ a better resin.

42. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Anybody ever attempt to repair one of the sagging ships. I'd give it a go for free if anyone would be interested.

Send me the ship, I'll see what I can do. Seriously.

43. michael

michael New Member

Actually 1 buyer did commission his ship be repaired and reworked from ground up. One of the dude's known for customizing models, took on the project, and detailed his resoration w/ photos. He pryed the ship apart, sanded, repaired, re-decaled, added modifications he felt Unobtainium messed up on detail wise.
    I'd have to dig up this url.