Prop Store

Unknown sci-fi pistol - help!

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by Pharos, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Pharos

Pharos New Member

I saw this prop sitting on a display table at a recent Prop builders mini-con in England. The owner didn't know what it was, but he thought it might be 'Demolition Man'.

I do not have that movie, but the screen caps I have managed to find do not show anything like it.

Here:
    UNKNOWN PROP PISTOL-DSC_0720.JPG

It was well made, a triangular perspex barrel with a blue light on the end. A socket was in the grip for a power wire and the handle folded flat against the barrel and is held in place by a magnet.

I can't place it at all, but I thought it was a fantastic prop (I love perspex!!) and I would like to ask you, the experts, what it might be.

Good luck!

2. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

No idea what that might be from. Looks like some sketchy prop made for Dr Who or Blakes Seven or something? Let's hope it has a hidden interesting history.

3. captblitzdawg

captblitzdawg New Member

Looks Whovian to me, but I can't place it....

4. Pharos

Pharos New Member

Yes, I know what you mean - it reminds me so much of a 'Deadly Assassin' Gallifreyan Staser, but without the red sticky back plastic or the Sparklets CO2 capsules.

But, having examined many props from British Telly Sci-Fi, the construction and preciseness of this is a cut above most of it. The perspex is machine cut and flawless, the handle is robust and - as far as I can tell - a very original design.

Plus the Exhibitor says he bought it from a reliable prop source in the USA, not that that's conclusive. I honestly have no idea how I can find out what it is, other than to watch every Sci-Fi film and telly show! It also strikes me that it has the look of a Hero prop design that was never used, except maybe in the BG as other set dressing, or a supporting artiste prop gun?

The strange thing is, I really have the urge to build one of these.

Thank you for your suggestions, but I am still looking!

5. CynicalMormon

CynicalMormon Member

Man, those angles really remind me of the gun from Logan's Run. Could be an early concept proof or something.
    BestLeftSide.jpg
    I'm gonna dig a little deeper into that 'verse and see if I can come across anything.

6. tuskentrooper

tuskentrooper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. Pharos

Pharos New Member

Wow, certainly no shortage of opinions on Facebook - thanks for the link.

The gun was a finished prop, not a work in progress - I will look up some of the suggestions, though. It's not a Logan's Run gun or prop - Not from the movie and I'm fairly certain not from the TV series (which I have just re-visited).

I must try to email the owner again to see if they have any more information.

Many thanks.

8. PeterLC

PeterLC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe not a gun but say a laser cutting tool from something. Definitely the kind of thing found in 70s Brit scifi.

9. Pharos

Pharos New Member

Yes, this seems more likely to me too. Because in the seventies and eighties, you could get away with props made from perspex for extra added Sci-Fi-ability.

I'm sure it isn't Blake's 7, but it wouldn't have been out of place on that show.

We're looking at an example of retro Sci-fi.

I would find out more about it, but the owner has gone AWOL. Ah well...

10. Pharos

Pharos New Member

Great news!

I have heard from the owner and he will (work permitting) send me some more pictures of the prop, particularly in it's closed 'dagger-like' configuration. The handle flips up and it can be held, and presumably operated too, in a knife like grip, or holstered (no evidence for this, but it might be a cool way of carry).

Still no luck with identity, despite some great comments on the Facebook page.

More suggestions please!

11. Harada357

Harada357 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I recognize the Prop from a USA made for TV Sci Fi show. It only aired the pilot. The show aired in 1970-80's. Look in Pilots that never made it to a series. I remember it because I tried making that pistol out of plexiglass. I will search to find it. The weapon belonged to a police or alien character. I swear I am going to figure this one out.

I

12. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Let us hope he still cares. :lol
    He hasn't logged in here since 2016.