Universal Soldier Armor*

bdude93

hello all,
always loved the uniform armor from 'Univeral Soldier', so this is my initial attempt at making my GR-44 costume. The base is 1/2 foam padding, with a single thin layer of quilt batting, wrapped in desert camo fabric.

IMG311.jpg

camo fabric pinned to foam padding with sewing pattern drawn on with chalk

IMG314.jpg

ALMOST done with the chest piece...

THANKS! yes sir! got some really good close-ups of the eye piece from on old thread on here. should have some more pics of the armor in a day or two. then on to the shoulder caps. pants and boots will be easy enough. finding it VERY difficult to come across a desert print thermal shirt, which is whats worn under the vest. the eye piece and thermal monitor will probably be last to be done.

ive already got the pants , and this is one of my favorite 80's movies. would you think about making another ? it would be an epic dcon costume .

ive already got the pants , and this is one of my favorite 80's movies. would you think about making another ? it would be an epic dcon costume .

barring that this one comes out good... i would not be opposed to doing another! there are adjustable straps connecting the 4 buckles (two on each side) of the vest where the front meets the back. so sizing would be fairly adjustable. i'll keep you all updated.

working on the back now!

UPDATE!

more work on the front portion of the vest. if you look in the movie, the slit between the pecs looks like it opens to make room to fit over the head...

IMG316.jpg

bottom seam needs to be tidied up a bit, but...

IMG317.jpg

i added a small flap with velcro to close it :cool

IMG315.jpg

shot of the inner lining of the vest

on to the back piece...

IMG318.jpg

the chalk kinda throws off the cleanness of the sewing lines in this pic, but they are straight, lol

IMG319.jpg

close up of the eyelets that will run all the way up the center of the back (there's a triangular portion cut out) that will lace up

i wish i had some screen caps for you all to compare to, but its shaping up nicely

Last edited:
Man you don't see too many of these costumes! Love the work done so far! :thumbsup

I actually made a Unisol costume myself back in 1993 for Halloween. However I used a hockey chest protector (it was meant to look more like the "heavier" armor Scott and the others wore when they raided the motel).

The 6 colour desert camo was pretty abundant in the early 90s, however I couldn't find a thermal shirt either and just went with a camo t-shirt.

Unfortunately I don't have a decent pic, and I sold the whole thing to a friend of a friend over ten years ago when I needed some fast cash. Really wish I had kept it. :(

Looking forward to seeing this done! :)

Kevin

finally got my name tapes and flag in!
IMG330.jpg

connected the front and back at the right shoulder, and cleaned up the neck line.
IMG331.jpg

IMG332.jpg

finished the collar! velcro's closed at 2 points
IMG333.jpg

finished front and back!!! just waiting for the desert tan webbing and side release buckles to connect the front and back at the side
IMG336.jpg

That looks really good so far. Seeing as you just started off with fabric and padding you did a stellar job. Not to seem ignorant but what is this from? XD

Great work!! I have to admit that Universal Soldier is one of my guilty pleasures.

One small thing I've noticed is that little thing on the top right in the following pic. :confused Trying to give new meaning to "Hanging Tough?" But yeah, aside from that, you got the right stuff. I'm sorry, bad jokes..... :lol

IMG317.jpg

i added a small flap with velcro to close it :cool

Great work!! I have to admit that Universal Soldier is one of my guilty pleasures.

One small thing I've noticed is that little thing on the top right in the following pic. :confused Trying to give new meaning to "Hanging Tough?" But yeah, aside from that, you got the right stuff. I'm sorry, bad jokes..... :lol

hahahaha! ya know, i was wondering how long until i got **** that being in the pic, lol. its actually a nostalgic birthday present for my older sister. good eye:lol

it's been a while since my last update. been slugging along. too many projects to focus on, lol.

the vest portion is complete. straps, buckles and para-cord is in place. in the film, there are only two buckles per side (looks like maybe 2" in) but in doing that, it puffed out on the sides too much and didn't hug the torso like i wanted so i added a third

IMG342.jpg

IMG373.jpg

i began work on the shoulder caps using eva foam mats from harbor freight.

IMG370.jpg

IMG369.jpg

in the movie, there seems to be a stepped up section on the top and center of the shoulder cap, that i've yet to put on.
universal-soldier-1992-05-g.jpg

gotta get some thinner foam sheets from jo anns this weekend. but here is the the fabric pulled over the first cap to get an idea of what i'm looking at...
IMG372.jpg

pants are also under construction as well. i decided to make them instead of buying them to avoid any inconsistency in the pattern or type of material. keep it all uniform. and so when i fade it later, once everything's complete, all pieces can be faded the same amount.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back