Universal Soldier Armor*

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

bdude93

hello all,
always loved the uniform armor from 'Univeral Soldier', so this is my initial attempt at making my GR-44 costume. The base is 1/2 foam padding, with a single thin layer of quilt batting, wrapped in desert camo fabric.

camo fabric pinned to foam padding with sewing pattern drawn on with chalk

ALMOST done with the chest piece...

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Dude that looks great! Are you doing the full costume including all the cool electronics?

bdude93

THANKS! yes sir! got some really good close-ups of the eye piece from on old thread on here. should have some more pics of the armor in a day or two. then on to the shoulder caps. pants and boots will be easy enough. finding it VERY difficult to come across a desert print thermal shirt, which is whats worn under the vest. the eye piece and thermal monitor will probably be last to be done.

Cpl Potter

Sr Member
ive already got the pants , and this is one of my favorite 80's movies. would you think about making another ? it would be an epic dcon costume .

bdude93

ive already got the pants , and this is one of my favorite 80's movies. would you think about making another ? it would be an epic dcon costume .
barring that this one comes out good... i would not be opposed to doing another! there are adjustable straps connecting the 4 buckles (two on each side) of the vest where the front meets the back. so sizing would be fairly adjustable. i'll keep you all updated.

working on the back now!

bdude93

UPDATE!

more work on the front portion of the vest. if you look in the movie, the slit between the pecs looks like it opens to make room to fit over the head...

bottom seam needs to be tidied up a bit, but...

i added a small flap with velcro to close it :cool

shot of the inner lining of the vest

on to the back piece...

the chalk kinda throws off the cleanness of the sewing lines in this pic, but they are straight, lol

close up of the eyelets that will run all the way up the center of the back (there's a triangular portion cut out) that will lace up

i wish i had some screen caps for you all to compare to, but its shaping up nicely

Last edited:

SSgt Burton

Sr Member
Man you don't see too many of these costumes! Love the work done so far! :thumbsup

I actually made a Unisol costume myself back in 1993 for Halloween. However I used a hockey chest protector (it was meant to look more like the "heavier" armor Scott and the others wore when they raided the motel).

The 6 colour desert camo was pretty abundant in the early 90s, however I couldn't find a thermal shirt either and just went with a camo t-shirt.

Unfortunately I don't have a decent pic, and I sold the whole thing to a friend of a friend over ten years ago when I needed some fast cash. Really wish I had kept it. :(

Looking forward to seeing this done! :)

Kevin

bdude93

finally got my name tapes and flag in!

connected the front and back at the right shoulder, and cleaned up the neck line.

finished the collar! velcro's closed at 2 points

finished front and back!!! just waiting for the desert tan webbing and side release buckles to connect the front and back at the side

slipshot139

That looks really good so far. Seeing as you just started off with fabric and padding you did a stellar job. Not to seem ignorant but what is this from? XD

bdude93

That looks really good so far. Seeing as you just started off with fabric and padding you did a stellar job. Not to seem ignorant but what is this from? XD
thanks! it's from the 1992 movie 'Universal Soldier' with van damme and dolph lungdren

infymys

Sr Member
Great work!! I have to admit that Universal Soldier is one of my guilty pleasures.

One small thing I've noticed is that little thing on the top right in the following pic. :confused Trying to give new meaning to "Hanging Tough?" But yeah, aside from that, you got the right stuff. I'm sorry, bad jokes..... :lol

i added a small flap with velcro to close it :cool

bdude93

Great work!! I have to admit that Universal Soldier is one of my guilty pleasures.

One small thing I've noticed is that little thing on the top right in the following pic. :confused Trying to give new meaning to "Hanging Tough?" But yeah, aside from that, you got the right stuff. I'm sorry, bad jokes..... :lol
hahahaha! ya know, i was wondering how long until i got **** that being in the pic, lol. its actually a nostalgic birthday present for my older sister. good eye:lol

bdude93

it's been a while since my last update. been slugging along. too many projects to focus on, lol.

the vest portion is complete. straps, buckles and para-cord is in place. in the film, there are only two buckles per side (looks like maybe 2" in) but in doing that, it puffed out on the sides too much and didn't hug the torso like i wanted so i added a third

i began work on the shoulder caps using eva foam mats from harbor freight.

in the movie, there seems to be a stepped up section on the top and center of the shoulder cap, that i've yet to put on.

gotta get some thinner foam sheets from jo anns this weekend. but here is the the fabric pulled over the first cap to get an idea of what i'm looking at...

pants are also under construction as well. i decided to make them instead of buying them to avoid any inconsistency in the pattern or type of material. keep it all uniform. and so when i fade it later, once everything's complete, all pieces can be faded the same amount.