Universal Soldier Armor*

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by bdude93, Mar 10, 2012.

1. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

hello all,
    always loved the uniform armor from 'Univeral Soldier', so this is my initial attempt at making my GR-44 costume. The base is 1/2 foam padding, with a single thin layer of quilt batting, wrapped in desert camo fabric.

[​IMG]
    camo fabric pinned to foam padding with sewing pattern drawn on with chalk

[​IMG]
    ALMOST done with the chest piece...

2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude that looks great! Are you doing the full costume including all the cool electronics?

3. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

THANKS! yes sir! got some really good close-ups of the eye piece from on old thread on here. should have some more pics of the armor in a day or two. then on to the shoulder caps. pants and boots will be easy enough. finding it VERY difficult to come across a desert print thermal shirt, which is whats worn under the vest. the eye piece and thermal monitor will probably be last to be done.

4. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Are we having fun yet!?" lol I look forward to your progress with this.

5. DOORMANMATT

DOORMANMATT Active Member

I just want to eat!

6. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

ive already got the pants , and this is one of my favorite 80's movies. would you think about making another ? it would be an epic dcon costume .

7. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

8. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

barring that this one comes out good... i would not be opposed to doing another! there are adjustable straps connecting the 4 buckles (two on each side) of the vest where the front meets the back. so sizing would be fairly adjustable. i'll keep you all updated.

working on the back now!

9. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

UPDATE!

more work on the front portion of the vest. if you look in the movie, the slit between the pecs looks like it opens to make room to fit over the head...

[​IMG]
    bottom seam needs to be tidied up a bit, but...

[​IMG]
    i added a small flap with velcro to close it :cool

[​IMG]
    shot of the inner lining of the vest

on to the back piece...

[​IMG]
    the chalk kinda throws off the cleanness of the sewing lines in this pic, but they are straight, lol

[​IMG]
    close up of the eyelets that will run all the way up the center of the back (there's a triangular portion cut out) that will lace up

i wish i had some screen caps for you all to compare to, but its shaping up nicely

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

your pretty sewing. ive always wanted to do the fabric over foam. good work

11. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Man you don't see too many of these costumes! Love the work done so far! :thumbsup

I actually made a Unisol costume myself back in 1993 for Halloween. However I used a hockey chest protector (it was meant to look more like the "heavier" armor Scott and the others wore when they raided the motel).

The 6 colour desert camo was pretty abundant in the early 90s, however I couldn't find a thermal shirt either and just went with a camo t-shirt.

Unfortunately I don't have a decent pic, and I sold the whole thing to a friend of a friend over ten years ago when I needed some fast cash. Really wish I had kept it. :(

Looking forward to seeing this done! :)

Kevin

12. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

finally got my name tapes and flag in!
    [​IMG]

connected the front and back at the right shoulder, and cleaned up the neck line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished the collar! velcro's closed at 2 points
    [​IMG]

finished front and back!!! just waiting for the desert tan webbing and side release buckles to connect the front and back at the side
    [​IMG]

13. slipshot139

slipshot139 New Member

That looks really good so far. Seeing as you just started off with fabric and padding you did a stellar job. Not to seem ignorant but what is this from? XD

14. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

awesome job. you do great work

15. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

thanks! it's from the 1992 movie 'Universal Soldier' with van damme and dolph lungdren

16. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

THANKS A LOT, grave!

17. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Great work!! I have to admit that Universal Soldier is one of my guilty pleasures.

One small thing I've noticed is that little thing on the top right in the following pic. :confused Trying to give new meaning to "Hanging Tough?" But yeah, aside from that, you got the right stuff. I'm sorry, bad jokes..... :lol

18. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

hahahaha! ya know, i was wondering how long until i got **** that being in the pic, lol. its actually a nostalgic birthday present for my older sister. good eye:lol

19. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

it's been a while since my last update. been slugging along. too many projects to focus on, lol.

the vest portion is complete. straps, buckles and para-cord is in place. in the film, there are only two buckles per side (looks like maybe 2" in) but in doing that, it puffed out on the sides too much and didn't hug the torso like i wanted so i added a third

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i began work on the shoulder caps using eva foam mats from harbor freight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the movie, there seems to be a stepped up section on the top and center of the shoulder cap, that i've yet to put on.
    [​IMG]

gotta get some thinner foam sheets from jo anns this weekend. but here is the the fabric pulled over the first cap to get an idea of what i'm looking at...
    [​IMG]

pants are also under construction as well. i decided to make them instead of buying them to avoid any inconsistency in the pattern or type of material. keep it all uniform. and so when i fade it later, once everything's complete, all pieces can be faded the same amount.

20. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

Wow! This is really looking good. Always loved the movie.

21. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

Looks cool. I daresay that your construction looks better than the ones in the movie. The sewing on the screen used ones looks like it was done by drunken monkeys.

22. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing you start a thread about the 'eye-piece' to accompany the armor next!!

23. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good job on the build so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

24. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

very nice work :thumbsup

25. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

hey thanks everybody! glad you all enjoy the progress. @monster dave, i will be starting am eye piece thread shortly. i've started construction of a couple separate pieces, but can't tie anything together until i get a couple older style headphones off eBay.

26. jordanc1988

jordanc1988 New Member

Looks solid the eye piece will totally bring it all together. forgot how awesome that movie was.

27. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

raised section of the first shoulder cap, wrapped in fabric
    [​IMG]
    first one done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    my brother modeling the vest. first shoulder cap not attached yet, just resting on his shoulder
    [​IMG]
    must be the angle of this pic, because it looks much larger then it actually is
    [​IMG]
    back. strapped and laced up
    [​IMG]
    side buckles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Sourdoh

Sourdoh Sr Member

29. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

Wow!
    That really is awesome work :thumbsup

30. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is really cool! Great attention to detail and the crafttsmanship is top notch.

Nick

31. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

thanks so much!!!! much appreciated!

32. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

thanks sourdoh! actually my first time doing any padded sewing (thanks for supplying the technical name, lol) and am really happy with the results. based on this one, i've actually already been commissioned to make a second!

33. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

yes you have ;)

34. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

MINOR UPDATES.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've replaced all the side buckles with black ones. closer inspection of the movie shows this, and i also lightly weathered them with some dry brushing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also began darkening in the stitching lines on the front and back. I completed the back, but only did the right side of the front because I noticed that the lines on the left side aren't at as steep of an angle as the right. It's VERY hard to notice, but i KNOW it would be obvious once i darken them in, and it would be impossible to correct after the fact. i simply used a sharpened black pastel in the crease and feathered it cotton swabs. makes a lot of difference and adds a lot of depth.

i also finally got the first shoulder cap attached via velcro at the shoulder, with desert color 1" elastic around the arm.

as for the shoulder harness... i ordered a tan one, simply to use the holster and mag pouches and construct a more screen accurate one. it's been a bit of a chore matching the exact color tan when ordering nylon webbing, but FINALLY found the right color. coyote brown. so this piece with be under construction soon.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see, as opposed to the pistol on one side and mags on the opposite, they are both on the left (along with 2 grenade pouches), with this...
    [​IMG]
    MP5 strapped on the right.

also began work on the eyepiece!!! But I will update this progress on the already existing thread for the unisol eyepiece here...

http://http://www.therpf.com/f9/universal-soldier-eyepiece-73524/

35. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

awesome work cant believe i missed thread I also for got how awesome this film was!!
    Superb job

36. blennus

blennus Member

Very cool... I've mostly been lurking in the sculpting part of the forums... but this makes me want to keep checking the costume section. Great work!

37. martcpl705

martcpl705 Well-Known Member

Awesome build

38. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

since this was bumped and most likely a dead thread

I just want to say

I wish it wasn't a dead thread... cause this is too awesome. :(

39. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Very nice work!

40. Cartaphilos

Cartaphilos New Member

hello was browsing the web on this subject i did this costumes back in the early 90 91 era and you work is very close if you have found or are lookign for the rest of the part persay here is a list of what youll need.

1. 9mm berreta shoulder side arm
    2. desert eagle 50 cal leg side arm
    3. 1 Collaspable tonfa baton
    3 Mk5 SMG

the holsters are gonna be very hard to find due to the shoulder side arm one is from china leg one not sure where it is from or if they have been altered for the film

The heavy armor was made out of fiber glass reason why i know this is i own one of the torched shoulders with the arrow patch on it and looks to be 1 solid part

Now the wrist moniter was made out of a tv remote control reason why i say this is i have mold off the orginal and it looks to have been made out of tv remote control parts being there are buttons for play pause so forth

Hope this helps ya

41. SDUK

SDUK Well-Known Member

I really want one of these costumes!!!!! PLEAAAAAAAAASE!!!

42. JT800

JT800 New Member

I just wanted to say hello to bdude93 and say that I am a big fan of UNIVERSAL SOLDIER [and the 3rd movie (Regeneration) as well].

AWESOME work so far on your costume. It has been my dream for YEARS to have a costume like this as well. I will have to drop 100 pounds before I can look halfway decent in it, though! Seeing your amazing progress on your costume is definitely a motivation.

I look forward to seeing your continuing progress on this project of yours! Congrats!

43. DJHAMMERHEAD

DJHAMMERHEAD Active Member

Awesome build!!!

44. kirobel

kirobel New Member

you look a bit like Vaas in Far Cry 3 xDD
    awesome costume!

45. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member

That is some really nice seam work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

46. TECKNOVIKING

TECKNOVIKING Active Member

Now this has been something I have always wanted to do. UNISOL has always been a firm fav of mine and this and the 2nd version set of Armour the Sols wear in the film are both awesome.

Thank you for sharing your armour build, it is beautiful.

Really need see about getting this made for me now :D

Good luck with the headset ;) Sourcing actual parts?

47. garyp2007

garyp2007 New Member

really wanting to have one of these made

48. closet batfan

closet batfan Well-Known Member

I've always loved that choc chic camo pattern, when I was in Kabul a few years ago the afghan border police were wearing it and they had hand painted their vehicles in the pattern which was amazing. I'll try to dig up a photo of it.

49. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

please do, that would be interesting to see!

50. bdude93

bdude93 Active Member

thanks everyone. i just bought a house so updates on ALL my costuming projects has been rather slow. but i'm glad you enjoy the build progress